• ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Trimming sucks...that is all

No really its the worst part of reloading.
    I'm just glad we have the RCBS power trimmer or it would be ugly
    Working on .308's right now, just glad I only have 600pcs. to do

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Right!
    Trimming does suck..........but only a lot.

Right again!
    It's the worst part of reloading.

Right once more!
    Having an RCBS power trimmer makes it better. I recall running that trimmer by hand before I went to the adaptor to use a drill and finally the RCBS power unit. Then there's deburring and chamfering case mouths. These are mind-numbingly repetitive procedures but I can stand some mind-numbing now and then. I day dream about flying prairie dogs while I'm doing those jobs!
    Thank God for progressive presses. :rockwoot:

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.

Yep, I bought 1000 pieces of Lake City 5.56 brass from NatchezShooters Supplies couple weeks ago so I’ll be sizing, trimming, priming, yadayada yada. But not much else to do inthe winter except paint the inside of the house.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a wildcat caliber pistol that I had to make brass for. You started with a military 30-06 case, cut it at the neck reamed the inside of the shoulder to make clearance for the bullet while it was wedged in a special sizing die that would mount into a lathe chuck, press out of that die, resized again with a regular style die and trim the usual way. (after you forced the crimed primer out and recut the primer pocket) One miscut or flaw and you threw the case away and started again. Compaired to that thing, anealing, and forming brass for the 7mmTCU or the 357 Heret was easy. Now I just shoot factory calibers.

After spending the whole weekend making 100 good pieces of brass, I was afraid to shoot it outdoors and loose the brass in the field. Like Dave said, winter in the midwest keeps a person indoors alot, you may as well process brass and reload ammo.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I ordered a hand crank trimmer as well. That's reloading on a budget for me. I usually prepare a good amount of brass so I'm not having to do a lot of prep in between the other processes. My stuff should be here tomorrow and I'm only going prep 50 cases at first for my first test batch.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Buy a Hornady Case Prep Center. If you want to see one in action, come use mine for an hour or two. It's about as good as it gets.

Whats the normal time on trimming 223 brass?

I got the WFT thats a lickety split trim, but have toyed with the idea off and on about the Hornady, just because of the other stations it has.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Hornady Case Prep Center... It's about as good as it gets.

I think this is about as good as it gets. I sure hope it is.
    I've earned it though. I've trimmed probably close to 10,000 rounds of 223 on a RCBS hand crank.

giraud-trimmer-003.jpg

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I ordered a hand crank trimmer as well. That's reloading on a budget for me. I usually prepare a good amount of brass so I'm not having to do a lot of prep in between the other processes. My stuff should be here tomorrow and I'm only going prep 50 cases at first for my first test batch.

50 cases of what?

If it's rifle, I bet after 25 you'll be thinking it'd be nice to have a power trimmer.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My brother borrowed a dillon st1200 trimmer from a friend of ours.. that thing works pretty quick, the only issue I have with it is it sizes the neck on .308 as you trim but it under sizes them. from what I've read on the net everyone complains about this.

triharley

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    St. Anthony, IN
    I have my garage and work bench cleaned and a chip guard over the cutter head. Hopefully tonight I get to run a full hour out my Case trimmer, which is loosely based on the trimmer that chipdog4 posted. I will try to take Video, but someone will have to explain how to post a video. Don't need to Hijack this thread but if some one pm's me how I can probably figure it out.

picture.php

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have a hand crank RCBS, Lyman or other trimmer, I have a trick that works great. I just unscrewed the handle and mounted the chuck of a 1/2 inch SLOW speed drill. Since I clamped the trimmer to the bench, I also attached a block of wood to support the weight of the drill motor. With the quick connect case holder and the optional three way cutter (I bought one for each caliber) you can make some real progress in a hurry. Since the three way cutter trims the length, chamfers the inside and deburrs the outside in one step, each piece only has to be handled once. Not as slick as some of the new case tools, but worked great just the same.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I think this is about as good as it gets. I sure hope it is.
    I've earned it though. I've trimmed probably close to 10,000 rounds of 223 on a RCBS hand crank.

giraud-trimmer-003.jpg

Same here! Best investment I have made in years. It took the pain and dread out of trimming. It is now a non issue.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Best hand trimmer I found that I liked was the Redding trimmer.
    I've got 2 Lymans and an RCBS, and just found the Redding to be better, IMO.

The mounting of a drill to the handle is a good option, I just never got around to doing it. Once I seen how much 223 brass I had to trim, I went with the WFT.

Top Bottom