• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Just returned from 10 days in Alaska. Saw some pretty cool sights while off the beaten path and enjoyed having no access to plumbing, wifi or cell service. On my journey off grid, this man cave must-have sign caught my eye. I opted to leave all Alaska state property where I found it.
    295tz53.jpg

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Oooo man, that's definitely on my bucket list. Were you hunting, fishing, or just sightseeing?

And yea....that sign would be tempting. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't have bullet holes in it too.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Sightseeing. Crappy weather grounded flightseeing plans on the day I had planned for so I FIDO'd. Have always thought the pics I've seen wouldn't do justice to being there and was right to a point. Even being there didn't totally offer the sense of scale of the landscape. A topo map was helpful to determine where I was and terrain features that looked like they were a mile or two away were manyX farther away than perception and they're just HUGE. Planning to spend time there during winter in 2017 and decide if I really want to liquidate Indiana life and GTHO here.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    What part of Alaska? We own land up on Caribou Island at Skilac Lake, on the Kenai Peninsula.
    Started in Fairbanks/Ft. Wainwright. Drove down to and stayed at the Military Resort in Seward, bounced up to the Denali Overlook Inn in Talkeetna and ventured into the Chena River State Rec Area once we got back to Fbanks. I must say I've had flu shots that didn't go in as deep as some of the skeeters we faced off against.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Sounds like a great trip. We have family up there, who work in Soldotna. We have been up there many times in both the Summer and the Winter. Have crossed the Cook Inlet at Ninilchik, hauling lumber in an open boat. Have also flown along the Cook Inlet in winter, in a bush plane. It is beautiful and rugged. We prefer going up in Winter to avoid terrorist season, (what the locals call tourist season).

During the first weeks of break-up in Spring, the mosquitoes and fly's are so thick, it is depressing to go outside. After a while, they are just an annoyance.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My in laws just got back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. They had issues getting out there b/c of the Delta power outage. However, because they got pushed back a day, they were able to see all of Denali. They were told that only about 30% of the tourist ever see it b/c of fog and cloud cover. My wife and I said that is our dream vacation. She wants to fish while I'm brown bear hunting with my bow. We would have to win the lottery to do that. Either that or my wife says if Hillary is elected, we would pack up and move there and live off the grid!

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    My in laws just got back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. They had issues getting out there b/c of the Delta power outage. However, because they got pushed back a day, they were able to see all of Denali. They were told that only about 30% of the tourist ever see it b/c of fog and cloud cover. My wife and I said that is our dream vacation. She wants to fish while I'm brown bear hunting with my bow. We would have to win the lottery to do that. Either that or my wife says if Hillary is elected, we would pack up and move there and live off the grid!
    Denali hid from us as well until we saw it from the window of the 737 that flew us to Seattle. We had a summit flight/glacier landing planned, rescheduled, and rescheduled again which is now at the top of our list of things to do when we return. My new F-you money dream includes a solar cabin with a clearing suitable for my Piper Super Cub w/26" tundra tires next to a mountain lake on which my Cessna Turbo 206 float plane sits.

Top Bottom