• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Made it through without being raped and or killed. By rape of course I mean actually buy a gun at Don's, but I suppose the possibility of being physically raped was just as possible.

So we were on Lafayette and figured what the hell, lets stop in Don's real quick. We have been looking for a couple of new guns that we cant find and we jokingly figured "of course Don's will have them", so we went for the entertainment value. (before you reply, I say again, for the entertainment value!)

So the parking lot was pretty busy as we pulled up. We walked in the door and yes, the store was pretty full. Within seconds BOOM! a gun shot, everyone jumps...somebody is standing in the doorway of the indoor range with the door wide open. A woman says to her husband "lets get out of here" as they walk past us. So we brave forward into the store and in the first case I notice a selection of Hi-Point pistols that appear to have been spray painted. One was a sticky looking all gold finish while others had "tiger stripe" style patterns of various Krylon colors.

Further into the store we start looking at guns we own and some we want to own. How about a Walther P22? Good .22 and great entry level gun. If you have $650 you can walk out of Don's with your very own! How about a Ruger SR9, can be found as low as $399 but $450 is typical. Don will let his go for $799. A Sig P238, a pocket .380 that we really want, basic models can be found for $500, add options and you could be paying as much as $700. Don's has a basic model without laser, basic finish sale priced at just under $1000.

More gun shots with the range door open and I'm a little scared to walk over to that side of the store. The door closes and I make my move to check out the rentals. A few immpressive weapons including a fully auto uzi that ANYONE can come in off the street and rent. I took a look around at the customers and couldnt help but notice the women in the store, they looked flat scared. Kind of makes me feel sorry for people who go into Don's without a knowledge of guns. After 5 minutes in the store we decided to make our escape. I would have taken pics but per the sign on the door you are not allowed to. So I slapped an INGO sticker on the front door and we left (kidding :D)

Don's guns is a joke, just unbelievable. That being said, I wont tell anyone NOT to go to Don's Guns. There is something to be said about the entertainment value if you feel like risking it all. It will also make you appreciate all of the other fine gun shops we have around Indy.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I used to go to the north side store just to look around. Their stock of Class III is usually pretty nice. After looking for a while I would get asked if they could help me, I would then answer "Yes, can you tell me why most every gun shop in town beats you by 40% on price?" I would get some nasty looks at that point. :D

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    Sad part is, they sell a ton of guns. The people either doesnt shop before they buy or no other shop would sell them a handgun. Don isnt dumb, just a tad bit careless. How many other gun shops advertise on TV? I think that gives people that are wanting to buy a first weapon, a store that is remembered by his commercials. Never bought a handgun there and am 99.5% sure I never will, unless I become a felon

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I was watching "Most Shocking" on Tru tv last night, Don's guns was on there getting robbed. They interviewed Don at the end of the segment and he said, "we are the largest gun dealer in the world, with thousands of guns in stock". lol

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would never purchase a gun in Don's due to the absurd prices for their guns, ammo, and other items. If he priced his guns at the normal price or even slightly above, being that you can actually test fire a gun before purchasing, I would certainly purchase from his store.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I think you guys are all wrong. His guns are not overpriced! On his commercials he says he doesn't want to make money, he just loves to sell guns. The man has a passion for guns! Hahahaha!..... S*&tload of sarcasm!!!!

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    I had herd how expensive he was and i wanted to say when i was there he wanted like 900 for a Xdm. I laughted about his price all the way home but if you wanna check a gun out they probably have it i handled a few and made my decision on what i liked better and came back to Lafayette and bought one up here. Such a joke people like him ruin the gun hobby.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I have been to Don's Guns one time, and will probably never go again, as I do not often frequent the fine outerlimits of Indianapolis.

On that trip, I was confronted by a couple of young "shady" gentlemen, clad in sweatpants and "grylls", partaking in what appeared to be a funny smelling hand rolled cigar. They inquired if I could give them some money so they could go get a "chee burga". I politely declined and moved on.

This wasn't a pleasurable experience. I feel if Don cared two craps about his customers, he'd run off these bottom feeders.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    Don (formerly Big Fat Don) is no friend of the second amendment. If you've ever heard an interview on the radio, he makes it perfectly clear.
    The best interview I heard was on the Stan Solomon Show. Stan's guest was Ted Nugent and Don called to refute Ted's position. When Stan introduced Don, as a local gun dealer and minor celebrity, Ted went off the deep end praising Don as a brother in the faith until Stan had to stop him and explain where Don is coming from. Ted still didn't seem to understand even after Don told him straight out.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I just did a you tube search for Don's guns. Funny ****
    He doesn't want to make money? Is he running a 501 c Charity? I don't trust people who tell me they don't want to make money or they want to give me something for free.

1) If they say they don't want to make money they are usually making so much of it that it could choke Donald Trump.

2) Free is too expensive, I can't afford free.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    when i moved to indy in 2005, first thing my brother told me when i got here was "never buy anything from Don's, that guy's crooked as hell." well, its been 5 yrs, still haven't been there. my co workers said the same thing when we were talking about guns. they said there was rumors that you can bribe the salesman with 200 bucks to sell a gun without a background check. damn, 799 for a SR9, lol. 100% mark up.

Top Bottom