• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I am going to Florida next week..... I am driving the whole way..... Are there any states that do not honor my Indiana permit ???? I would like to carry the whole way.....

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I am going to Florida next week..... I am driving the whole way..... Are there any states that do not honor my Indiana permit ???? I would like to carry the whole way.....

A good resource: Handgunlaw.us

If you take I-74 to Cincinnati, then you have that short little ride through Ohio that does NOT reciprocate with Indiana. But other than that, you'll good all the way.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Do not go through Ohio. And none of the states you will pass through are "must inform" states if you get pulled over. Just make sure you follow Florida's carry regs, as they are not the same as ours, OC'ing and "printing" are not allowed.

Also-DO NOT carry into any establishment licensed to serve alcohol that's meant to be consumed on premises.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Do not go through Ohio. And none of the states you will pass through are "must inform" states if you get pulled over. Just make sure you follow Florida's carry regs, as they are not the same as ours, OC'ing and "printing" are not allowed.

Also-DO NOT carry into any establishment licensed to serve alcohol that's meant to be consumed on premises.

I'm not quite clear on the "OC'ing and printing are not allowed" comment above. I see this reference in Florida state law that indicates that OC or even completely showing your CC firearm is OK provided that you're not doing it in an "angry or threatening manner":

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    (2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
    (3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

But, as always, I'm interested in better understanding... Thanks!

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I might be wrong on the printing, that was going from memory. However, see the highlighted areas below:

I'm not quite clear on the "OC'ing and printing are not allowed" comment above. I see this reference in Florida state law that indicates that OC or even completely showing your CC firearm is OK provided that you're not doing it in an "angry or threatening manner":

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
    (3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

But, as always, I'm interested in better understanding... Thanks!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I think you missed the (1) Except as otherwise provided... in subsection (2) part.

Subsection (2) says:

So (2)(a) provides for OC for lawful self-defense in Florida.

I've been to FL and seen many OC handguns. I've not done it there myself as I almost always CC, but I figured if it were illegal that, at least at the places in FL I typically frequent, I wouldn't see OC going on... ;)

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    That's not the way I read that section. To me it says you can only OC "A self-defense chemical spray. or, A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon..."

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks for all the info guys..... I will not be going thru ohio, so I think I am good to go..... Appreciate all the input.. MIKE

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    It's almost that easy. Florida has about a dozen locations scattered around the state where you can go and they take care of the entire process (application/photo/fingerprints/etc.). Takes about 20 minutes and the license is mailed to you some weeks later. The only thing you can't do at those locations is take the required safety class, so you've got to have proof that you did that before you show up. They aren't real picky about the safety course requirements, unlike Utah, so almost any handgun safety class will work. The completion certificate from the NRA one the wife and I took 20+ years ago still works just fine every time I renew my FL CCW.

Last edited:

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I just got back from Fl. it was nice to see a few guns for sale at the flea market, didn't buy one, but did get the wife a holster.

Top Bottom