• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    So today my dad and me went to good ole Gander Mountain looking for some ammo. They had .22LR in stock with a limit of 5 boxes, so I got 3 Velocitor boxes and the last 2 Stinger boxes. BUT they had a deal on a Savage model 64 that came with 2 325rnd boxes of Federal Target Grade ammo. Well as you can see I went for it. I really have never messed with Savage firearms, a couple friends have the 22-250 and they seem to like them but I just wanted some feedback on whether or not this is a good .22LR or not. I may be selling this one or my Henry .22 in the near future. already have a 10/22, so I don't really "need" another semi auto .22 but then again I guess you can't have too many good plinking guns can ya.

IMG_20140713_185239_753.jpg

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    For the last 10 years or so I have told people for the dollar spent, Savage is probably the best bang for the buck. They make their own barrels and seem to do it right the first time.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Every Savage I've ever owned or seen has clearly been a cut rate effort intended to swoon those who demand very little.

But a rimfire is as safe a proposition as it gets and even Savage would be hard pressed to fumble one. That is is absent an accutrigger, is a good start.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Love my savage axis II in .308. Great shooter, reliable and one hell of a bang for $300

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I picked up a Savage 64 a couple of years ago. It has been a great little plinker, and I cannot really recall any malfunctions or issues. Trigger is ok on mine, but nothing amazing. I would suggest tracking down another magazine. I don't know the details of the specific Gander deal, but I would assume you got a decent deal in a good little shooter. Enjoy!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pound this into your head: there is NEVER such a thing as a "good deal" at Gander Mountain. Don't spend money there.

I have to disagree. They can be found. I got a good deal on a 12GA O/U during the panic with two boxes of 22s at a reasonable price. (They had plenty in the back for sale with guns)

But as far as guns go, yes. For the most part if they have a gun, it will be overpriced.

So never say NEVER. They can be found. :D

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have only bought ammo and a CVA muzzleloader from Gander MT. The CVA was the entry level and was priced at $99. I believe that GM offers a decent price on certain firearms when they run specials. This is probably due to their buying power. Other than what I mentioned, I work with my local shop which I have built a good relationship with, The Outdoorsman. They always work with me. I typically find what I am looking for, find the best cost and then work with to get them at or very close to what is the best I can find. I sometimes pay $10-30 more from them but I prefer to work with people I know and are in my local area. If there is a problem, they are right there to work with me. Since I have lived in IN (9 years), I deal with the same people at The Outdoorsman. It just feels more like working with your buddies/neighbors than a big retail chain. I have also sent neighbors and friends there and they all come back saying how much they like dealing with the people at T O.

Just my opinion

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Yeah I usually don't buy guns at the local Gander MT but I thought this was actually a decent deal. From what I'm hearing this is a pretty good little shooter, I will take it out once I get a decent scope for it, and that will happen when I get some extra spending $$$. Thanks for all the replies.

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Saw that deal in the paper the other day. I was pretty intrigued by it. Hope it works out for you. Personally, I've only heard good things about Savage Arms from friends.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Every Savage I've ever owned or seen has clearly been a cut rate effort intended to swoon those who demand very little.

But a rimfire is as safe a proposition as it gets and even Savage would be hard pressed to fumble one. That is is absent an accutrigger, is a good start.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have only bought ammo and a CVA muzzleloader from Gander MT. The CVA was the entry level and was priced at $99. I believe that GM offers a decent price on certain firearms when they run specials. This is probably due to their buying power. Other than what I mentioned, I work with my local shop which I have built a good relationship with, The Outdoorsman. They always work with me. I typically find what I am looking for, find the best cost and then work with to get them at or very close to what is the best I can find. I sometimes pay $10-30 more from them but I prefer to work with people I know and are in my local area. If there is a problem, they are right there to work with me. Since I have lived in IN (9 years), I deal with the same people at The Outdoorsman. It just feels more like working with your buddies/neighbors than a big retail chain. I have also sent neighbors and friends there and they all come back saying how much they like dealing with the people at T O.

Just my opinion

If you can get the Outdoorsman to within $10-30 of the cheapest price you can find, you aren't looking hard enough. Those guys are overpriced. They have the philosophy that since they have it on the shelf, or in the case, you will pay for that convenience of not having to order it in. There are cheaper places locally to find what your looking for...you just have to look. Try USDS since your in Greenwood.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If you can get the Outdoorsman to within $10-30 of the cheapest price you can find, you aren't looking hard enough. Those guys are overpriced. They have the philosophy that since they have it on the shelf, or in the case, you will pay for that convenience of not having to order it in. There are cheaper places locally to find what your looking for...you just have to look. Try USDS since your in Greenwood.

This x 100. I put my name on the list for a Glock 26 during the panic. They acted like it was a big hassle, they still haven't called about one (I was the 4th person on the list), and their prices of everything else was with $50 of GM.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I learned to shoot a rifle by using a Savage Model 5 .22 rifle that was made before the end of WWII. It has never failed me.

As far as Gander Mtn having any good deals... Unless the firearm in question is on sale, then it is probably more expensive at Gander than most other places. The sales that they run usually bring their firearm prices into line with what other places are charging.

Top Bottom