• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One thing for sure, any officer with any time on the job will have a reputation. Be it good, bad or otherwise. You see each other in the worst of times quite a bit of the time. As a result you can usually see any flaws that officer might have. You/they can't fake it all the time. We also see all the made up and or exaggerated claims of wrong doing all of the time. Accusations most often don't mean ditty to guys/gals co workers until proven. The very vast majority are never proven because they are BS. But. Every now and then one will slip by and fool us all. But it is rare. Sure the entire world will know about any LEO's misdeeds, mistakes or omissions because that craps sells. In reality even though you could fill a page with articles about officers screwing up, in reality it is still quite rare. The LEO vetting process works pretty darn well IMO.

As for the trooper in question here, if she admits or is found guilty She deserves some serious prison time. I doubt that you will find many if any officers that disagree.

What vetting process? You take a silly civil service test, an even sillier PT test, and then get asked some rote riduculous scenario based questions by a small board (if even that). I felt much more stressed and under the gun during my recent PhD qualifying exams then I ever did by any LEO hiring board. Unless you mean there is a way to weed people out of the job after they are really doing it and you can see the flaws as you put it. I don't think it has anything really to do with the LEO vetting process as it isn't any different then getting hired for any other job but that most people just aren't criminal d-bags like this former trooper. Most cops that I know are no better or no worse then anybody else they just do the job they were hired to do.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One thing for sure, any officer with any time on the job will have a reputation. Be it good, bad or otherwise. You see each other in the worst of times quite a bit of the time. As a result you can usually see any flaws that officer might have. You/they can't fake it all the time. We also see all the made up and or exaggerated claims of wrong doing all of the time. Accusations most often don't mean ditty to guys/gals co workers until proven. The very vast majority are never proven because they are BS. But. Every now and then one will slip by and fool us all. But it is rare. Sure the entire world will know about any LEO's misdeeds, mistakes or omissions because that craps sells. In reality even though you could fill a page with articles about officers screwing up, in reality it is still quite rare. The LEO vetting process works pretty darn well IMO.

As for the trooper in question here, if she admits or is found guilty She deserves some serious prison time. I doubt that you will find many if any officers that disagree.

It isn't necessary to fake anything when working in a department in which dirty is the standard.

I will add to this that in 1999 I moved to Plainfield and stayed there for about 7 years. The first thing I noticed when I settle in was how great it was to have honest police, more specifically a department in which integrity and efficiency were standard (with a couple of individuals who warrant special recognition for excellent work). So far, this has been an anomaly in my personal experience.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I hope the troopers dont support this 1 bad apple! It could start a bad wave of attitude to the GOOD apples . It SHOULD BE MAX JAIL TIME for the BAD apple.

((+1 to the good apples!!)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It isn't necessary to fake anything when working in a department in which dirty is the standard.

I will add to this that in 1999 I moved to Plainfield and stayed there for about 7 years. The first thing I noticed when I settle in was how great it was to have honest police, more specifically a department in which integrity and efficiency were standard (with a couple of individuals who warrant special recognition for excellent work). So far, this has been an anomaly in my personal experience.

I have only worked for small and medium sized departments(the most common sized in this country BTW) I have applied to four and was hired by three. I still work at two to this day. I have never worked for and will never work for a corrupt PD. And if a person did they would sure know. Matter of fact I don't know of any corrupt police agency's. Perhaps they exist. But I know of none first hand. Other people might know otherwise. I think that if an officer or agency is in fact corrupt it is only a matter of time before they are found out.

Maybe you can explain to me what makes a police department corrupt. Surely it is not one of it members getting busted for something.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have only worked for small and medium sized departments(the most common sized in this country BTW) I have applied to four and was hired by three. I still work at two to this day. I have never worked for and will never work for a corrupt PD. And if a person did they would sure know. Matter of fact I don't know of any corrupt police agency's. Perhaps they exist. But I know of none first hand. Other people might know otherwise. I think that if an officer or agency is in fact corrupt it is only a matter of time before they are found out.

Maybe you can explain to me what makes a police department corrupt. Surely it is not one of it members getting busted for something.

I would hope you would understand what constitutes corruption. Drug dealing and extorting sex in lieu of enforcing the law are two perennial favorites. We have reached the point at which I would consider having this conversation in person but not over the internet.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    This is not really an example of what I would call corruption..at least by the standards I am accustomed to up here. This is really a manifestation of the evolving culture in a lot of departments. The mentality these days is who can get the most arrests..in this case the most DUI's and awards. A lot of departments keep track of arrests and give out rewards..new cars, etc. for the top. When you combine that with an officer, like this female, who feel like they have something to prove this is what happens. The era of the peace officer keeping the peace seems to be unfortunately gone. It has become a war on the public to a lot of officers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is not really an example of what I would call corruption..at least by the standards I am accustomed to up here. This is really a manifestation of the evolving culture in a lot of departments. The mentality these days is who can get the most arrests..in this case the most DUI's and awards. A lot of departments keep track of arrests and give out rewards..new cars, etc. for the top. When you combine that with an officer, like this female, who feel like they have something to prove this is what happens. The era of the peace officer keeping the peace seems to be unfortunately gone. It has become a war on the public to a lot of officers.

You don't consider it corruption to accuse someone you know to be innocent, precipitating charges against them as well as significant personal expense?

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    You don't consider it corruption to accuse someone you know to be innocent, precipitating charges against them as well as significant personal expense?
    Maybe. When I think of corruption I think of stealing people's money (she kinda is I guess), negotiating a 5 kilo deal on duty, committing a murder on duty for a cartel and transporting the body in the trunk of your squad car, etc. All true stories. She's really more of a cheater.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    What vetting process? You take a silly civil service test, an even sillier PT test, and then get asked some rote riduculous scenario based questions by a small board (if even that). I felt much more stressed and under the gun during my recent PhD qualifying exams then I ever did by any LEO hiring board. Unless you mean there is a way to weed people out of the job after they are really doing it and you can see the flaws as you put it. I don't think it has anything really to do with the LEO vetting process as it isn't any different then getting hired for any other job but that most people just aren't criminal d-bags like this former trooper. Most cops that I know are no better or no worse then anybody else they just do the job they were hired to do.

The hiring process is the smallest portion of a vetting process. While it does weed out some of the undesirables it is not fool proof. The polygraph is probably the most effective at getting rid of the unfit initially as well as sometimes afterwards.

The real test is FTO and beyond. Ask any other officer on here. The main test is "time on the job" under constant prying eyes. And I mean constant. I feel safe in saying most new officers are looked at with more than a fair amount of suspicion. A new guy in my circle is anyone with less than five years. IMO it really takes that long to feel 100% sure with most. Some not so long.

What most people don't understand is that if one of ours fail we all look and feel bad. We as a group hate it with a passion. We also take steps to avoid it by keeping potential problems in check. I know of more than one officer that got "straightened" out by their peers when it looked like they might be starting to screw up or make bad choices. This calling truly is a brotherhood, more so IMO the the military where I spent a good portion of my life. Anywhere I have ever gone in this country where I have met other cops, I feel comfortable around them. We speak the same language so to speak. I have never gone nor will I ever go to places like NYC and other liberal type places ect and it might be different.

Now irregardless of what anyone thinks or says one of the reason's cops don't write cops tickets and stuff is...read the above^^^^. Crimes are another different matter. Of the very few times I knew of officer's committing crimes it was handled by the highest ranking officer available. That is a very tough thing but it happens from time to time. It happened to one of ours (OWI). He deserved what he got for breaking the trust. It had an effect on the department for a few years.

So there it is. I don't know what else to add. Maybe some other LEO's can chime in with their own thoughts. I hope I am not getting this thread off track too far.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe. When I think of corruption I think of stealing people's money (she kinda is I guess), negotiating a 5 kilo deal on duty, committing a murder on duty for a cartel and transporting the body in the trunk of your squad car, etc. All true stories. She's really more of a cheater.

Please don't tell me that you consider it necessary for the offense to be an A felony to qualify as corruption!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I hope the troopers dont support this 1 bad apple! It could start a bad wave of attitude to the GOOD apples . It SHOULD BE MAX JAIL TIME for the BAD apple.

((+1 to the good apples!!)

If things are like they say they are and she did what she is accused of doing they will not support her.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Please don't tell me that you consider it necessary for the offense to be an A felony to qualify as corruption!
    No. When I think of corruption I think of an act that is beneficial to crime or some criminal organization in exchange for (usually) monetary compensation. While what she did is criminal, it is really the result of poor judgment by someone who thought she had something to prove..dumb ass..yes..cheater..yep..corrupt? Yeah, but that is such a great word I generally reserve it for the truly devious and politicians.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No. When I think of corruption I think of an act that is beneficial to crime or some criminal organization in exchange for (usually) monetary compensation. While what she did is criminal, it is really the result of poor judgment by someone who thought she had something to prove..dumb ass..yes..cheater..yep..corrupt? Yeah, but that is such a great word I generally reserve it for the truly devious and politicians.

I see. I would consider dishonest and/or fraudulent actions to constitute corruption with or without the influence of an outside criminal organization, much the same way that you don't have to go to the brothel to commit adultery.

Regardless of how this is labelled, I believe dishonesty in law enforcement is one of the few areas in which zero tolerance is an acceptable solution.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Cheating and criminal. And if true probably just so she could have bragging rights. Pretty damn disgusting IMO.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Update on Trooper of the Year Lisa Steed

Lawsuits piling up over fired UHP trooper

Though Ray said he wasn't drunk and passed all subsequent tests, he was arrested. And his drunk brother? Left along the side of the freeway.

Ray ultimately chose to fight his conviction when he saw news of Steed's troubles. His lawsuit is one of three so far involving Steed that prosecutors are not contesting. Attorney Mike Studebaker has filed on 21 other cases like Ray's, and he's looking into more than 90 others.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm

Is cheating a corruption of character?

Top Bottom