• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R as a way to get into HAM. I am having the hardest time installing CHIRP on my computer. I have a MacBook Air running OS Sierra 10.12.1. I can download the zip file but whenever I open it up from the downloads tab in my browser, it just sends it to the trash. When I take it out of the trash and try to open the zip file, it puts the CHIRP icon on my desktop. When I click that icon, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Check your security preferences as it's a non-trusted application. Change the permissions for downloaded programs and boom, and will work.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Try it on a Windows machine....did you see this when you downloaded the Apple version?

• New Mac OS X must install the runtime once before running CHIRP. After it is installed, the runtime does not need to be downloaded or installed each time. Download the KK7DS Python runtime for Mac OSX.
    • OS X support is limited to Intel architecture. PowerPC is not supported.
    • Chirp.app is unsigned. With default security settings, you will need a special procedure to run it

Last edited:

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Try it on a Windows machine....did you see this hen you downloaded the Apple version?

• New Mac OS X must install the runtime once before running CHIRP. After it is installed, the runtime does not need to be downloaded or installed each time. Download the KK7DS Python runtime for Mac OSX.
    • OS X support is limited to Intel architecture. PowerPC is not supported.
    • Chirp.app is unsigned. With default security settings, you will need a special procedure to run it

Yes, I downloaded the KK7DS Python Runtime prior to trying to install CHIRP. My security settings aren't allowing me to download anything that is unsigned and I don't know how to change them to allow that. I followed the directions on the CHIRP website and my version of the OS doesn't have the same options. I think I am just going to try to dig out the old Windows PC from the storage unit and use that. It's old and slow but it works, kind of.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville

For those of you wondering, this is what my security settings screen looks like. There is no option to download an app from an unsigned source. I'm sure I'm just missing the right place to look, but I don't know. This is the newest version of the OS so maybe CHIRP hasn't caught up to it yet?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

For those of you wondering, this is what my security settings screen looks like. There is no option to download an app from an unsigned source. I'm sure I'm just missing the right place to look, but I don't know. This is the newest version of the OS so maybe CHIRP hasn't caught up to it yet?

Disable gatekeeper and you will have the anywhere option back.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/

FYI the "terminal" app is in your utilities folder, the utilities folder is inside your applications folder.

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Once you try to install chirp and it tells you that you can't:

Apple Icon > System Preferences > Security & Privacy

Enter your admin password and change the setting shown below by cursor to "Anywhere"

Install chirp and change the setting back to App Store and Identified Vendors.

15109394_368652670152960_7893515081960245758_n.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yes, I downloaded the KK7DS Python Runtime prior to trying to install CHIRP. My security settings aren't allowing me to download anything that is unsigned and I don't know how to change them to allow that. I followed the directions on the CHIRP website and my version of the OS doesn't have the same options. I think I am just going to try to dig out the old Windows PC from the storage unit and use that. It's old and slow but it works, kind of.

Good luck to ya Canterbc...I am Mac dumb so I am no help.

Top Bottom