• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    ERGOgrid or the locking ERGO's, to be exact.

Anybody have any experience with either of these? Or even better, both?!
    I'm looking into getting some new rail covers for my new Troy TRX rail. I already have Magpul XTM's and some ladder style covers, but am looking for more of a 'full panel' type (around 6" long) with somewhat of a rubbery grip, while still being low profile. From pictures and other user reviews online, these 2 sound like they fit the bill.

The grip and lowest profile possible that I get from ladder style covers is exactly why I like them. But like I said, I'm itching to try out a more full panel cover. The XTM's are alright, but I just wish they had a little more grip to them and weren't so.. plastic, for lack of a better term. And honestly, I prefer a more 'fuller' look of one longer panel vs. a handful of little panels bunched up together, too.

Anyways! You get it.. Thoughts/opinions?
    Feel free to recommend any other ones as well!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    somewhat of a rubbery grip,

The Troy panels are not rubbery at all. They are hard plastic with raised rough patches. You can find them cheap though.

The only "rubbery" panels I'm aware of are the Ergos. They are 'ok', but the comfort of rubber also means that they are more likely to come off unexpectedly. If you really wanted something "soft" and low profile, I'd stick with ladder rails.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    The Troy panels are not rubbery at all. They are hard plastic with raised rough patches.

Ahh, okay.. I'm not sure why I thought the Troy's had more of a rubbery feel to them. Their appearance had me thinking they did.

Speaking of coming off, I've read user reviews for the Troy's online where people say they have a tendency to come unsecured and slip on your rail.. and other problems where people get them and can't even latch them down on their rail because the latching piece won't push all the way down. I'm not sure how relevant those claims are, or if they're old ones when the panels first came out, but I obviously wouldn't want to encounter that.. nobody would.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ahh, okay.. I'm not sure why I thought the Troy's had more of a rubbery feel to them. Their appearance had me thinking they did.

I too once thought the same thing-- until I got ahold of a set in person. I was surprised.

I'm personally not a fan of the bigger 1-piece covers because they aren't flexible to how I set up my rail. And, if I need a shorter piece I have to purchase it separately. Some also require installation from the front or back of the rail by sliding, which means you have to uninstall your stuff first.

Ladder covers are comfortable, super low profile, can be easily installed, and can quickly be cut to fit. They don't provide full coverage, and they can look cheapy when installed on a rail of a different color.

Magpul XT covers are nice in that they are a "rubbery plastic". They can be cut to fit without looking like they've been cut. They can also install directly onto the rail with no sliding. They don't lock, however, so they will naturally be easier to inadvertently rip off (although I never did).

2nkkguf.jpg

Magpul XTm covers are what I've settled on. They aren't rubbery, but they still provide excellent grip (which can be enhanced by stippling). The provide very full coverage, and are the easiest covers to install. Because they are pieces, you don't have to worry about cutting to fit. They install directly on the rail around whatever stuff you've already got mounted. They are also comparatively inexpensive.

4fwbdj.jpg

lovemywoods did have some rubber Ergo covers on his Colt at one point. They were soft to the touch, and held on tight enough for his purposes. They weren't locking. You could cut them to fit, but the cut was pretty obvious.

2hmn7md.jpg

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I use Falcon Diamond Plate Pattern Rail Covers
    sub2k1.jpg

they are rubbery (to me anyway, they feel "soft") and easy to put on and take off. and they're pretty cheap, got mine here Falcon Diamond Plate Pattern Rail Covers they are very secure once on.

I actually hate the Magpul XTm rail covers and removed a few from a rail with a hammer after getting tired of taking them off.

Top Bottom