• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I had concerns about this happening with my van while we were there. I left my gun in the van, rather than having to unload it and zip tie it. I felt naked going to and from the van and the door. Was glad to get strapped again. I agree that the parking attendants appeared less than credible. Hate to say it, but that is how it appeared to me. I didn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Why would you guys leave guns unsecured in Indy?

It could be worse my truck was stolen by two African-American twin brothers 2 months ago. Indys an ok place to live you just have to take alot of extra steps to protect your property, and some times thats not good enough.

Is that PC enough?

Last edited:

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    This is sad news...
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could have volunteers with shotguns or AR's patrol the parking lot?

Who follows where the attendants direct them to park anyway?
    I paid my $3.00, I'll pick my own spot thank you.
    No way I'm following the directions of one of the locals in that part of Indy.

To those who said they leave their CCW in the car instead of worrying about having it ziptied in the building:
    How long would it reasonably take you to cut the tie and slam a loaded mag in?
    5 seconds? less?
    Don't leave a loaded gun unsecured in your car man.

I let the cops at the 1500 zip-tie my pistol for the same reason I let the TSA search my shoes... the illusion of safety and the fact that they won't let me in if I don't. Not going to make one lick of difference to me either way.

We need to move the 1500 to another venue.
    Or, we need to move the fairgrounds to another location.
    Or, we need IMPD to get their act together and clean up those horrible neighborhoods.

How long has that particular part of Indy been a cesspool? 20 years? 30? More?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Bet they get the lil card in the mail, telling them when the shows are and they can get a $1.00 off to actualy come inside and look around. State Fairgrounds is great pickings, we ride the Fishers Train each August instead of offering our cars for the Oxygen Thieves. What would it take to get some IMPD detail in and about?

Orange suited goons try and direct me to the gleaners area also, "F" that, I know my way around them. Of course I cant just pull up and park nextr to the show bldg.............no! Thats where the Policia park. They don't want to get their cars broken into eh?

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    It almost has to be an inside job with as many security car patrols as are rumbling through that lot. I met a friend from Indy at the gunshow to give him some rifles we traded for. He parked out in the farthest lot and I parked close in by the grandstands. When we drove my vehicle out to his to load up his stuff it was crazy the amount of cops and security that drove by in a very short period of time while we talked by his trunk. I have a very hard time believing that breakins on that scale could go unnoticed without help within the security force itself or those with direct observation of the area and the capability to monitor the radios of the security patrols i.e. parking staff. That's my take having been there.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Lesson learned empty car before I go, carry gun in with loaded mag in back pocket and a good knife to cut the strip off as soon as I hit the door.....

Also what I did...well, except I put the loaded mag in the front pocket of my purse beside the other loaded mag. :)

Oh, and I made sure to buy a knife at the show just to cut the zip-tie off so I could reload before getting back to my vehicle. :D

I actually intended on leaving my CCW in my vehicle after reading about having to unload, etc., but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that after looking around at the crowd and area when I got there Saturday. The safest place my CCW can be is with me.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    It almost has to be an inside job with as many security car patrols as are rumbling through that lot. I met a friend from Indy at the gunshow to give him some rifles we traded for. He parked out in the farthest lot and I parked close in by the grandstands. When we drove my vehicle out to his to load up his stuff it was crazy the amount of cops and security that drove by in a very short period of time while we talked by his trunk. I have a very hard time believing that breakins on that scale could go unnoticed without help within the security force itself or those with direct observation of the area and the capability to monitor the radios of the security patrols i.e. parking staff. That's my take having been there.

Actually, routine patrols make it easier for bad guys to do their work. Unless you have ever taken a job as a vehicle break-in thief, you have no idea just how quick these crimes are. They are literally in and out within seconds. If the criminal sees routine patrols, they wait for the patrol car to drive by, then they hit. It is just that quick.

I would bet there are vehicle break-ins in the metro area _everyday_. They say crime is down, but who knows for sure. I read on one blog that crime rates and bad economies don't actually follow the same path. The economy gets bad, people lose jobs, some turn to alcohol and drugs if they have stress, but as long as welfare is coming in (in this case, welfare is unemployment) and/or credit limits haven't yet been hit, stress isn't too bad. However, once there is no more money to borrow and/or the welfare ceases, that is when some folks will turn to stealing things to make money. We could see a spike in theft in the near future.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    We need to move the 1500 to another venue.
    Or, we need to move the fairgrounds to another location.
    Or, we need IMPD to get their act together and clean up those horrible neighborhoods.

How long has that particular part of Indy been a cesspool? 20 years? 30? More?

I LOVE the first two ideas , I wish it would come back to Stout Field .

I don't think IMPD can clean up the area without relaxing some civil rights .

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    my 1911 went in the show with me.....rd's in left pocket mag in right empty mag in right pocket(full mag in back right pocket!!!sssshhhh!!)....when the cop strapped my gun he never asked for my LTCH?......when we went on friday a IPD cruiser parked right next to me....told the girlfriend i don't think the truck will get messed with... and it didn't...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Actually, routine patrols make it easier for bad guys to do their work. Unless you have ever taken a job as a vehicle break-in thief, you have no idea just how quick these crimes are. They are literally in and out within seconds. If the criminal sees routine patrols, they wait for the patrol car to drive by, then they hit. It is just that quick.

I would bet there are vehicle break-ins in the metro area _everyday_. They say crime is down, but who knows for sure. I read on one blog that crime rates and bad economies don't actually follow the same path. The economy gets bad, people lose jobs, some turn to alcohol and drugs if they have stress, but as long as welfare is coming in (in this case, welfare is unemployment) and/or credit limits haven't yet been hit, stress isn't too bad. However, once there is no more money to borrow and/or the welfare ceases, that is when some folks will turn to stealing things to make money. We could see a spike in theft in the near future.

You would win the bet also. Theft, home breakins etc are rising. Violent crime is what is down in Indy.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I lived right North of the fairgrounds off 52nd street and gunshots are fairly normal. Crime is rampant. I had my crappy lil blazer broken into, by a popped lock, and the police told not to bother giving them serial numbers off the stereo and other things stolen, as i would never see anything again.

It was straight ghetto and i was the only white person in my or the neighboring building. Drug use on the balconeys and kids running around the parking lot next to 52nd un-attended all the time.

I paid for 4 months rent and didn't live there because it was not worth the hassle of explaining why I had to shoot someone. Friends would not come around at night and i would never let a girl outside by herself.

The whole area trash. My buddy just had his girlfriends car stolen on 58th and since the cops didnt do anything, he found it down on 34th running in a driveway. The 911 operator told him to leave and they would send someone later, he told her if she didnt want to cause a hate crime, there better be an officer there in 10 minutes. There were 5 there in 5 minutes and they found about 7 stolen cars. But out of 15-20 people there, they caught 2.

IMPD just has too much crime to deal with, so they appear to do nothing. It is a vicious cycle.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    This sucks - not going to get any better with our current state of the union. I carried with a loaded mag and chamber, unloaded outside and slipped in the spare empty mag. I had my gun admired and strapped by a very professional LEO. When I was using the men's room I thought about cutting off the strap, but I didn't. On the way out, another LEO asked if I had any weapons and I answered yes. He asked if I brought it in to the show and I again answered yes. He asked to see it and the orange tie. I am glad I did not cut it off. I went out to the lobby, cut off the strap with my newly sharpened knike (That guy is awesome). I then exited the building, popped in the full mag and chambered a round. I felt dressed again. I had no issues at the show. I would never leave anything of value in my truck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I used to live at 30th and carrolton in 1983 for 90 days. Was not a good neighborhood then and it is just plain hood now. Even then the local apartment dwellers would cry out 5_0 when i rolled into the parking lot. Ended up at 40th and broadway (better than 30th st.) for the remaining 9 months before sucking up some extra rent money and going into downtown broad ripple. Back then I had a back and white portable T.V. a jam box, food, clothes, a futon couch and a 12 gauge pump. So i was not worried about crime very much

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    That's why I leave my nice 4x4, and my wife's nice car at home, and we take my back and forth to work, 13 year old crapalier, with the fine GM peeling clearcoat, and we never even get a notice from the thugs taking our money at the gate.:D I'm pretty sure even if I had a flat, I'd drive on my rims, cause I suspect even coming from the gunshow, I'd be outgunned in that hood.:draw:

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    This is BS! The fairgrounds charges you to park and then doesn't do anything to insure the safety of your vehicle. This is why I drive the POS pictured below and I park in the neighborhood. I leave the doors unlocked and take EVERYTHING of any value out before I go to the show. I bring a pack to store anything that I don't want to take leave at home. I.E. my carry gun, ipod, phone, etc.

Ron%20Dizzle.jpg

vwl4a

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Just rent a big white van with tinted windows, place a sign on the exterior saying "Filled with guns and ammo" and park it in one of the parking lots. Have 4 or 5 guys inside with ARs and Shotguns waiting for someone to come bust in.

Top Bottom