• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Ok update time after looking at a few trucks and test driving a charger I found a 07 Chevy avalanche, seems to run really smooth and lots of features I really like that my truck didn't have like power windows lol, but it drives good in snow, I'm a ford guy but the Chevy is nice, anybody ever own one? Anything with Chevy I need to check on as far as maintenance?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok update time after looking at a few trucks and test driving a charger I found a 07 Chevy avalanche, seems to run really smooth and lots of features I really like that my truck didn't have like power windows lol, but it drives good in snow, I'm a ford guy but the Chevy is nice, anybody ever own one? Anything with Chevy I need to check on as far as maintenance?
    Best bet for that info is a Chevy or avalanche specific forum.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    we use chevys and fords at work, the chevys seem to have more nuisance electrical problems than the fords, but when the fords break they are well and truly broke.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure an Avalanche can pull small trailers sometimes, but the cargo area can hardly be called a bed. There is really no way to overload it, so that might be a good thing.

If your ego needs a truck I'm sure the Avalanche will do fine. If you need a practical truck, maybe a Silverado would-be better.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @leash well I didn't have a lot of options in my price range, and I saw a nice truck but the guy wouldn't deal, and I'm not a fan of cars just cause I'm a big guy so this was the choice, my next vehicle will be a full blood truck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok update time after looking at a few trucks and test driving a charger �� I found a 07 Chevy avalanche, seems to run really smooth and lots of features I really like that my truck didn't have like power windows lol, but it drives good in snow, I'm a ford guy but the Chevy is nice, anybody ever own one? Anything with Chevy I need to check on as far as maintenance?

I drive an 04 Sierra extended cab daily. Had it since 05. Normal wear and tear issues. I have worked it fairly hard. Been a great truck over all.
    Am having an issue with the speedo but nothing beyond that.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm 6'2" and daily drive my wife's old car. A car so small I dread the day when they have to extricate me from the fiberglass heap with a can opener.

It's a Saturn SL1. Uncomfortable to drive and ride in, great mileage, easy maintenance, low insurance rate, butt ugly, not enough power to get out of its own way.

I've saved a lot of diesel by just driving the saturn, but I swear that car is invisible and it will probably get me crushed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    On Avalanches:

IIRC, they didn't sell exponentially well. However, I see a TON of them on the road still. Of all ages.

At any given time, there are at least two in my 'hood. And there used to be three - but that guy moved out.

My one neighbor has the 3/4 ton version with the large motor. He pulls a rather large boat. He treats that truck nice - and it's been serviceable for him for a heck of a long time now.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've owned my 05 avalanche since new. Its got 175K on it now. It's pulled trailers and plowed snow its whole life. I beat it like a rented mule. Whoever posted about the minor electrical stuff is spot on. In particular, the actuator motors and blend door motors. Crap like that goes out, but the truck still runs as it should. Major components replaced since new: 4wd actuator, cat converters, front diff rebuild (bearings only), and the stupid $500 brake box mounted to the frame rail that controls all abs and esc controls (cant remember the part name here).

Other than that, its been normal wear and tear like brakes, fluid changes, etc. The motor is bulletproof. I've got a suburban with the same 5.3 motor that went over 300K before a motor replacement due to running it low on oil by the previous owner.

I won't go full "you don't need no stinkin' dually" here, but an avalanche will do ALL the work of a standard 1500, except the bed size. They ride smoother too. Same motor, tranny, diffs, locker, etc. And yes, you can overload the bed. They don't like 2500lb pallets of ice melt. Ask my bumpstops which are now gone.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks for the info, I don't know anything about Chevys except that fords pull them out of a ditch lol and if I couldn't afford a "truck" I wanted something that had some power and capabilities of one

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've owned my 05 avalanche since new. Its got 175K on it now. It's pulled trailers and plowed snow its whole life. I beat it like a rented mule. Whoever posted about the minor electrical stuff is spot on. In particular, the actuator motors and blend door motors. Crap like that goes out, but the truck still runs as it should. Major components replaced since new: 4wd actuator, cat converters, front diff rebuild (bearings only), and the stupid $500 brake box mounted to the frame rail that controls all abs and esc controls (cant remember the part name here).

Other than that, its been normal wear and tear like brakes, fluid changes, etc. The motor is bulletproof. I've got a suburban with the same 5.3 motor that went over 300K before a motor replacement due to running it low on oil by the previous owner.

I won't go full "you don't need no stinkin' dually" here, but an avalanche will do ALL the work of a standard 1500, except the bed size. They ride smoother too. Same motor, tranny, diffs, locker, etc. And yes, you can overload the bed. They don't like 2500lb pallets of ice melt. Ask my bumpstops which are now gone.

If you hang a plow on the nose that is what killed the bearings most likely.
    We service both Diffs in my truck yearly.
    I did have to replace the transfer case in my truck but totally my fault.
    Wheel bearings (front) are an issue with the GM trucks.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    well first off for the past few months iv been working a day job and I also have a night job and a weekened job. so the day job is 7 to 2;30 and night job 4 to 10:30 depending on events, and weekened job 2 to 7:30 with that all said I don't get much time for sleeping and Saturday at 2am I fell asleep at the wheel and crashed my truck I was fine and nobody else was hurt I was scared out of my mind with panic and disbelief called 911 and police came and a tow truck pulled my poor truck out of the trees, so far the damage is $9,500 im praying that insurance will pay for it but im not sure truck is 2006 its old but a good truck, so now im just trying to think how will I get a new used truck, im tired of working 3 jobs just want 1 good paying job,

Keep your head up..I know its hard sometimes but everything happens for a reason weather we like it or not, remember it could of been a lot worse. Im sure you will get it squared away GOODLUCK

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ok update time after looking at a few trucks and test driving a charger �� I found a 07 Chevy avalanche, seems to run really smooth and lots of features I really like that my truck didn't have like power windows lol, but it drives good in snow, I'm a ford guy but the Chevy is nice, anybody ever own one? Anything with Chevy I need to check on as far as maintenance?

Troll much? Big guys fit in volvos. Asked for advice and got some that was really good. Choosing to ignore it is foolish.

But it's your candle. Burn it how you want.

Top Bottom