• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeremyC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Carmel
    Was wondering if anyone out there could give me a good answer on having a hand gun in a commercial motor vehicle. I am an over the road truck driver and can seem to find any good info on this. I search all through out the fmcsr and could find any regulations on it. Asked a dot officer and he couldn't give me an answer. His reply was "why do you need a gun?" Just wondering I'd anyone out there can enlighten me.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not against the law but maybe against company policy.
    Having said that, I'm sure you would need to follow the laws of the state you're in. Informing an officer if pulled over, unloaded and cased through Ill etc.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Was wondering if anyone out there could give me a good answer on having a hand gun in a commercial motor vehicle. I am an over the road truck driver and can seem to find any good info on this. I search all through out the fmcsr and could find any regulations on it. Asked a dot officer and he couldn't give me an answer. His reply was "why do you need a gun?" Just wondering I'd anyone out there can enlighten me.

I believe the cop who told you that was unarmed of course. :):

In indiana you would just need to have your LTCH (if the gun is a handgun, if not you can carry a long gun without a licence).

Would you have to leave the state? :dunno:

JeremyC

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Carmel
    No it was in New York. But thanks for the good info. If its in a locked safe if state the Indiana and Utah permit don't cover can you have it.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i've been an over road trucker for over 30 yrs.

are you from indiana?

do you have concealed carry permit?

if both answers are yes, dont even think of getting caught with a gun in the far east, i.e. ny, nj, conn, md, etc. nor illinois.if i remember right most all the rest have reciprocity with your concealed carry permit.

it is totally legal to have one in your truck with indiana and fed. laws.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Nothing against DOT regs, but you do have to follow state laws. And if you go to Canada, you cannot carry at all or even have it in your possession.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No it was in New York. But thanks for the good info. If its in a locked safe if state the Indiana and Utah permit don't cover can you have it.

I drive and I'm in NY occasionally so I'm not willing to be the test case with their new law, therefore I do not carry in the truck. Don't think I own anything that holds less than 7 rds.:(

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    i've been an over road trucker for over 30 yrs.

are you from indiana?

do you have concealed carry permit?

if both answers are yes, dont even think of getting caught with a gun in the far east, i.e. ny, nj, conn, md, etc. nor illinois.if i remember right most all the rest have reciprocity with your concealed carry permit.

it is totally legal to have one in your truck with indiana and fed. laws.

LTCH.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You guys crack me up!

When asked about laws, you really should KNOW what your talking about before you answer!

what are you referencing?
    The highlighted portions:
    I've been an over road trucker for over 30 yrs.

Are you from Indiana?

Do you have concealed carry permit?

If both answers are yes, don't even think of getting caught with a gun in the far east, e.g. NY, NJ, CT, MD, etc. nor Illinois. If I remember right most all the rest have reciprocity with your concealed carry permit.

It is totally legal to have one in your truck with Indiana and fed. laws.

(I also fixed your shift key problem)

Bonjour.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think something like a small 12 gauge though harder to hide would be less of a big deal to law enforcement compared to a pistol... Just my opinion.

Like mentioned above certain states I would not push my luck. Others like say Texas I would have no real worries with a long gun.... A lot more to consider with a pistol.

P.s most companies that send their people into bad areas have policies but don't ask questions and don't search hard if at all, just a "if there is an insident and you have one ie in a police report then you are done" but alive....

My company does not search my truck (not a commercial driver) but the only people that have been burned are when things end up in police reports.

Also a Utah ccw may be a great investment.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom