• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Just wondering if someone has had a similar issue.

2001 silverado 4x4.

driving straight when you are slowing down ,( touching the brake or not) once the truck gets to about 15/20 mph it will make intermittent popping sounds.

slowing down the same way but it neutral the pooping sound seems more speed dependent. And only happens when moving very slow.

I don't hear it accelerating.

any ideas?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Just curious why the sound would change its frequency from intermittent to more uniform putting it in neutral.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just curious why the sound would change its frequency from intermittent to more uniform putting it in neutral.

You are unloading the drive line.
    Are you sure it is in front of you.
    You need to get it up on a lift and find the problem before it leaves you stranded and does some real damage.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When our 350 was making popping noises, it was the hub IIRC. When the Expedition did it, the...crap, what's the thing in the axle...the differential? Well, whatever is housed in the axle had broken into tiny bits of metal.

Nothing good comes from popping noises under a car.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would start by jacking up the front wheels, give them a grab and shake them....see if you can find movement in the hub assembly. At least you can eliminate wheel bearing and ball joints by just doing this.

I have replaced several hub assembly units on my Chevy.....good luck.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Arm chair mechanicing I would say it is probably a universal joint in the drive train. How may miles? Does the noise go away when it is wet or raining outside?

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    wheel bearings usually howl like banshee when there taking a ****. if its popping that would make me guess u-joint or cv axels. best of luck brother atleast there easy to work on!

you need to checked it like yesterday before it brakes and your sitting on the road in this cold ass weather! lol

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I agree with everyone that says U-joint. My truck was doing sort of the same thing. While sitting still shift the truck from reverse to drive while running with your foot on the brake several times and see if you here the popping sound. This will cause the drive shaft to try to turn different directions and should make the u joint make some noise if the is a lot of wear in it. I just crawled under mine and moved it by hand and could here it.

Top Bottom