• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    If I were moving to a small truck I'd have a hard time looking at anything other than Toyota.

I thought the same thing. I owned a Toyota pickup in the 80s and loved the dependability. I ended up with a Z-71 Colorado instead of the Tundra. Decision was based mainly on fuel economy. I was moving from a Jeep Grand Cherokee and looking for better than 15mpg. The fuel economy on a V-8 Tundra was not much better than the Jeep. I felt the V-6 powered Tundra to be under powered. Once I settled on the Colorado, I went looking for one that was diesel powered. Ended up with a V-6 gas engine instead. The decision on that was that the fuel economies was not significantly different, the gas version was a year newer (2018 vs 2017), half the mileage (10K vs 20K), better package (Z71 vs LS) and had a foldable cover. It was offered to me for the same price as the diesel powered one sitting next to it on the lot. Also the spouse factor kicked in and my wife didn't particularly like the black on black of the diesel. She preferred the white on black color scheme.

Couldn't be more pleased with the decision. I do tow with it occasionally. I have a 12' flat bed trailer. Presently hauling 1/2 yd loads of sand and limestone flume while working on a paver patio project. Plan to soon start towing a teardrop trailer.

My recommendation is a Colorado or a Canyon.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I've got a new Ridgeline, and after test driving the others, you are completely correct in the Ridgeline being laughably better than the others in the class in ride and passenger comfort. In fact, it is laughably better than the other midsize log wagons for most things that one would use a midsize pickup truck for. The OP said that he needs something to haul sports gear and the occasional animal in the bed, and to tow a popup camper or small trailer. Does anyone really think that you need a 7000 lb tow rating for that? I could probably do that with a sedan.

I still smile every time I use the in-bed trunk to haul stuff. The bed space is not eaten up by wheel wells, and the size is better than the competitor's midsize offerings. The bed is composite and will not rust. It truly is a smart design.

+1
    My F-I-L has a Ridgeline, 2018, i believe. Interior seating capacity is spacious and comfortable, hands down better than the Canyon i use from time to time at work. You know your needs for hauling/ towing. If the Ridgeline falls within those requirements, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I regularly tow a camper. I have had both pop up campers (mine was 3,000 lbs max loaded) and travel trailer campers (mine is around 4,250 lbs max loaded). Keep in mind that the weight is not the only issue to consider. Wind resistance is also a major factor.

For example, when towing a tall travel trailer, most camper dealers will say to keep your total loaded trailer weight to 50%-60% of your max towing capacity. My 2010 Expedition tows max 9,000 lbs with the HD towing package. I tow a 21 foot full height travel trailer that max loaded weight is 4,250lbs. Below 55mph it tows easily. But on the interstate once I start pushing some wind, you can tell the difference.

With pop-ups you can up that percentage some since they have less (although still some) wind resistance to 60%-70% of max towing capacity.

Keep in mind. Towing with your vehicle at max capacity down the highway for a 100-200 mile trip (I often do this or more) will tear it up and beat it to pieces fairly quickly. Max towing will dramatically reduce the life of your vehicle and all it's parts.

I would love to see the condition of your sedan after it would have towed my 3,000lb pop up down the interstate to Colorado and back. I am sure it would be "less than optimal".
    I'm not sure I'd take too seriously the opinion of an RV salesman in regards to towing capacity. I have traveled across the country (to Seattle and back) pulling a 3000# popup and family of 6 with no problems. I watched engine and transmission vitals with a Bluetooth OBDII module and torque pro app... Even in the heat and on challenging grades transmission temps never got outside of normal ranges. Of course, i took it easy and want trying to be the fastest vehicle on the road... That was 3 years ago. We have taken a number of shorter trips, Eastern Tennessee, Central Kentucky, Outer Banks, etc. since with no problems, regular vehicle maintenance.

Sorry to hijack the thread...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Will the Honda actually tow 5,000? Comfortably?

Yes. I think Honda under sells the towing capacity. But I wouldn't haul a big boat long distance with it or any of the mid-sized P/U trucks listed.

And if you do test drive all of the vehicles you listed, I would bet that you decide to get the ugly Honda (and I do think they are butt ugly, but I still bought one).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom