• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is OK for our side to use judicial and bureaucratic means to subvert existing law.

Who said it?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Truck driver since 1978.

Nothing prohibits a commercial driver from carrying a firearm any different than any other person. You have to be legal everywhere you go, just like everyone else. So, if you go to Canada, NYC, California, military bases, or several other states/places, then you would not be able to “legally”’carry in your car or in a semi. Simple as that.

I’ve carried a firearm into California (illegally) for 15 years or so. I carried into NYC (highly illegally) from 1981 until about 1984. The problem is, if you really ever have to use it there, you just became a resident!

This idea has been floating around for years, many carriers have a policy against firearms in their trucks. Many truck driving schools have taught this false information for years.

My current company has a policy against firearms. I go to Chicago and Milwaukee a couple times a week. When Illinois locked down I talked to my boss and said it’s time to carry a firearm. He said basically, do what you think you need to be safe. BUT, if you get in trouble, our policy is no guns in the truck, which I took to me no help from them. Also asked I don’t carry into the customers

I leave Wisconsin with a gun open carried on my hip now. I bolted a lock box down in my sleeper. When I get to my customer I put it in the lock box. Most of our customers are HazMat, and all of them I believe are marked no guns. I “believe” I’m legal in Illinois in my vehicle under the same rules that apply to me in Wisconsin. (I’m legal open carry in a vehicle as long as I have a WI CCL, in WI) I imagine NOT EVERY LEO in Illinois agrees with this. I might get out armed in Wisconsin to buy fuel, but I will not exit my truck in Illinois while armed. At night, the lock box is open. I’m locking my truck now to walk around it to check the tires, where before I would rarely lock it unless I was gone for a while, or out of sight.

This is what I do and will continue to do. I’m not interested in arguing with anyone, trying to prove I’m correct, or changing your mind. You should do what works for you. Good Luck!

Glock1230

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2020
    Hamilton County
    I never realized until talking to my dad a few weeks ago that its just illegal in the states that you aren't permitted to carry. I was always under the assumption that truckers couldn't carry at all. Glad to know there are still some that carry anyways.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    When I was in the Army Reserve, I knew a guy that was big into guns and always carried, but never at work. He was a lineman. He told me he couldn't carry at work "because his truck has a DOT number." He was convinced it was illegal to carry in any commercial vehicle. I tried to correct him, but he wouldn't believe me.

Wstar, you are correct about Illinois. As far as my understanding of their law, you may also carry your firearm outside of your truck while fueling and checking tires, as long as you remain in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle. I am not 100% sure, but that's how I understand it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would like a ruling on this and if it would apply to people driving cars.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Illinois Concealed Carry for NON-Residents ? Illinois Concealed Carry Classes / Bloomington & Chicago

The law itself is at the very bottom of the link. The main article is their “opinion” and may or may not be accurate. This is pertaining to automobiles, as you requested, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t also pertain to CDL drivers. An Illinois LEO might possibly disagree with my interpretation of this Act. You will have to read it for yourself, then determine how confident you are in your findings, then determine how much risk you are willing to take.

Travel at your own risk....

This article and link is also 4 years old, so it’s possible they closed this loophole. It’s just the first link that popped up regarding what I was talking about. It would probably be a good idea to actually track down the statute on the state site and confirm it had not changed. I’m not going to do that, I’m carrying in my sleeper basically, which might be safer than in a car? If I have to actually use a firearm it will be because I’m in fear for my life and I will deal with the ramifications of that, I hope never.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    When

Wstar, you are correct about Illinois. As far as my understanding of their law, you may also carry your firearm outside of your truck while fueling and checking tires, as long as you remain in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle. I am not 100% sure, but that's how I understand it.

I have not heard that before, but I sure wouldn’t open carry outside my vehicle in Illinois, especially up around Chicago. Pretty sure they have the shoot first, ask questions later policy there.

I’m mostly concerned about nights and sleeping. Usually I can get back to Wisconsin, or at least out of the city before I’m done for the day. Originally, I asked about carrying with my boss because when Illinois locked down no one really knew what was going to happen, but I knew I would not get back home that night and things were changing fast.

So far, it’s been pretty quiet. Lots less traffic and shippers/receivers don’t want to let you in the building. Finding a restroom is the bigger issue so far.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yeah, definitely do not open carry in Illinois. Since an RV can be considered a domicile, I would reason that the sleeper in your truck could also be considered a domicile for purposes of castle doctrine and carrying a handgun.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, definitely do not open carry in Illinois. Since an RV can be considered a domicile, I would reason that the sleeper in your truck could also be considered a domicile for purposes of castle doctrine and carrying a handgun.

While your logic is sound, I wouldn't want to have to make that argument to a judge in Illinois.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I didn't find any specific Federal law or DOT regulation so are you saying there are States that specifically forbid commercial drivers to carry guns regardless of carry/permits etc?

I'm a retired teacher and currently drive an 18-wheeler (day-cab) and operate within the four states that are adjacent to Indiana...and mainly haul frozen foods from the manufacturer to distribution centers.

Our boss doesn't 'support' it, but doesn't tell us 'no' either...he basically has a 'don't ask / don't tell' approach to the issue, knowing some of the risks some of the driver's are asked to be in through the course of the work day! The only admonishment given is that we are required to know the state and local laws where we travel through and to and that we are responsible to follow / obey them!

In a study I read recently, truck drivers are at a 0.01 (one percent) higher risk to be involved in a criminal / violent attack than that of a law enforcement officer...without the additional protections afforded the LEO in defending one's self, but rather limited to just whatever the state and local laws allow for where they are at!

There've been a few deliveries that I've been on in places where I would probably never end up in in my life if I were driving my personal vehicle...just sayin'!

Nation-wide reciprocity, even if it's just for Class A Licensed individuals, would be a God-send!

Top Bottom