• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I used to have the habit of cycling the trigger (pulling the hammer back to single-action and then letting it back down) on a full loaded Ruger revolver, after cleaning it, to make sure everything was functioning correctly. One day, out at dad's house, I was sitting in my old bedroom (it's now sort of an 'all purpose' room) and did that very thing on a GP100...and my thumb slipped off of the hammer. Well...it went off alright...and blew a hole through the floor, through the ceiling of his bedroom, through his bed (and mom's brand new bedsheets), through the floor...and probably lodged in a 2"x12" floor jamb in the basement ceiling because it never came through the drywall ceiling down there. I spent the next hour cleaning up, patching holes in drywall, etc...I was never so shook up in my life as I was after than miss-fire! Needless to say, 1) I'm glad was not a night when dad would have been shot, and 2) I've never done that again with a loaded revolver...I do it after I clean it, but BEFORE I've loaded it...and NEVER while it's loaded! It was just a bad habit that I had gotten into and it caught me...but, fortunately, not too badly!!! No one else had to pay for my 'mistake.'

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I used to have the habit of cycling the trigger (pulling the hammer back to single-action and then letting it back down) on a full loaded Ruger revolver, after cleaning it, to make sure everything was functioning correctly. One day, out at dad's house, I was sitting in my old bedroom (it's now sort of an 'all purpose' room) and did that very thing on a GP100...and my thumb slipped off of the hammer. Well...it went off alright...and blew a hole through the floor, through the ceiling of his bedroom, through his bed (and mom's brand new bedsheets), through the floor...and probably lodged in a 2"x12" floor jamb in the basement ceiling because it never came through the drywall ceiling down there. I spent the next hour cleaning up, patching holes in drywall, etc...I was never so shook up in my life as I was after than miss-fire! Needless to say, 1) I'm glad was not a night when dad would have been shot, and 2) I've never done that again with a loaded revolver...I do it after I clean it, but BEFORE I've loaded it...and NEVER while it's loaded! It was just a bad habit that I had gotten into and it caught me...but, fortunately, not too badly!!! No one else had to pay for my 'mistake.'

I bet you got a B I G scared out of that AD:D

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    [Originally Posted by Amishman44
    /QUOTE]

I wouldn't call this an AD but a ND. :nono:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You cleared the chamber, then allowed the slide to go forward with a magazine inserted? That's the only way I could see a round still being in the chamber. Not to be a jerk. Whenever you make a gun safe. Remove the magazine first, then clear the chamber. Glad to see no one was hurt.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Well enough of this foolishness.
    I am 64 a VietNam Vet and have been handling guns since the 1960's. I do know the proper way to clear a chamber. I had a brain lapse and cleared the chamber before I took out the magazine. As I stated earlier very stupid.
    As to some of the other guff I've been taking I did load the gun and put it in my pocket to carry it home. I did not carry it as a defensive weapon, my trusty Colt was on my hip. Just to find out how it would carry and feel.
    As to holsters, a lot of good gun owners carry sans a holster.Regardless of whether you think it is good practice, it happens a lot. And my final comment as safe direction is a direction where if an accidental firing happens it will not harm anyone. I feel lucky that I at least pointed the gun at the fridge.
    Finally thanks to all who laughed at my folly and who may have been reminded of there own. Thanks for the support and the advise.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I seem to recall a conversation not too long ago right here on INGO where multiple people insisted that the gun under discussion was unloaded because three people had just watched the handler unload it. Your experience should be a sobering lesson for us all that even if you are 100% sure, you should still treat it like it's loaded. Thankfully, no one was injured, and thanks for sharing the story.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The fact that the fridge was shot shows the gun wasn't even being pointed in a safe direction. :twocents:

THe fact that his wife wasn't shows that it was. Safe is always a relative term.

My hubby had an ND about 11 years ago. "Playing" with the P95. I wasn't there so I don't know if he just forgot to clear the chambered round or what, but he points it at the three sheets of 3/4" plywood fronted by the card table and pulls the trigger. BAM!!! Clean through the card table and the first two sheets of plywood. Lodged in the third. He doesn't like me to tell the story, but it's a reminder that it happens.

I've not ND'd yet, but I have put a .308 round through a 7.5 K31 before. I'm hoping that the extent of my "dumbass" moments.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Sucks that it happened, but glad you had the guts to fess up and let some other people learn from your mistakes.

Top Bottom