• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    My wife recently took me to see True Grit and i found it to be very good, but I was wondering if anyone had saw it and the original and how they compared. I understand some people love John Wayne but keeping an open mind and not having a love affair with him how do they compare?:popcorn:

I give the remake :yesway:

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    They are both good, with that being said the new one was done from the book not just a remake of the old one. I still prefer the old one!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Saw the old one many times. It has the feel of a Disney film in a way. Glenn Campbell as LaBouef? -come on!! The young lady who played Mattie Ross in the old one was 21 at the time.

The new version finally put some GRIT into True Grit. The young lady who plays Mattie Ross does an even better job than the fine performance in the original, and she is only 14 years old, so it was more believable. Matt Damon is a GREAT LaBouef! Damon abandons his super agent persona to do this role justice, he seems uncertain of himself as he has not caught Cheney, he is frustrated with Rooster's scorn, he keeps trying to impress Mattie. Just a great performance. Bridges gives a great perfomance also, and his rough, amiable, deadly version of Rooster is dead on.

All in all, I liked the second one better. More true to the book, better performances all around, an ending that is not from a fairytale. In the end you realize it is Mattie who really has True Grit. (And I loved her interaction with Frank James at the end, this girl can't let it pass! "Keep your seat, trash."

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    The new one is way better, imo.

The only scene from the original that I prefer is the Duke yelling "Fill your hand..." That line just belongs to him for all of time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I've seen the new one. It is a good movie, but I would rather watch John Wayne and the original cast.
    With all of the remakes, has Hollywood run out of original ideas? :dunno:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Saw the old one many times. It has the feel of a Disney film in a way. Glenn Campbell as LaBouef? -come on!! The young lady who played Mattie Ross in the old one was 21 at the time.

The new version finally put some GRIT into True Grit. The young lady who plays Mattie Ross does an even better job than the fine performance in the original, and she is only 14 years old, so it was more believable. Matt Damon is a GREAT LaBouef! Damon abandons his super agent persona to do this role justice, he seems uncertain of himself as he has not caught Cheney, he is frustrated with Rooster's scorn, he keeps trying to impress Mattie. Just a great performance. Bridges gives a great perfomance also, and his rough, amiable, deadly version of Rooster is dead on.

All in all, I liked the second one better. More true to the book, better performances all around, an ending that is not from a fairytale. In the end you realize it is Mattie who really has True Grit. (And I loved her interaction with Frank James at the end, this girl can't let it pass! "Keep your seat, trash."

Good post!
    I liked the new one alot better.

Did not care for the ending of her being an old bitter spinster.
    I feel the young girl would have been sucessful in having a family.

Did like the line about Frank James!:yesway:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Hotdoger,

I was surprised by the ending, but after thinking about it, I came to really like it. Mattie is just such a no-nonsense person, she "just never had the time to fool" with marriage.

The scene with her speaking to Emmet Dalton is really great. Emmet addresses her with respect, removes his hat, speaks well of Rooster. All the while Frank James just sits there, wit his hat on looking glum. Historically, this rings true when you study these two former outlaws' personalities. She calls it as she sees it at the end.

I have come to really prefer the grittier, realistic westerns we are seeing today, whether it is Deadwood, Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven and Pale Rider, or True Grit. Life is messy. Even when good prevails there is a price to pay and good people may get hurt. All of us, even the good guys, have flaws. What makes a good hero is someone rising to the challenge and overcoming their flaws.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I loved the sense of humor of the ending. A woman with one and a half arms walking away into the sunset while they played leaning on the everlasting arms.

That is funny.:)

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Both are worth watching, and I enjoyed both. I like the new one better, but I didn't like the ending either. That's my only complaint. I'm a huge John Wayne fan, but Jeff Bridges was great in this role. I hope he wins Best Actor for this!

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I like them both but IMO the new one is the better of the two. The ending while not all that pretty or feel-good was taken almost line for line from the book.

Top Bottom