• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    While the new 5 year, if approved by the ATF, will do away with the required NICS check it is still up to the retailer if they want to go that route. My guess is most of the bigger retailers will still require a NICS checks even though it's not required. Too many shyster attorneys chomping at the bit to file a suit if someone who has a license that was revoked but never got turned in falls through the cracks, obtains a firearm and then does something heinous. I can hear it now, "If only they would have taken the 5 minutes to run the NICS check this tragedy would have been prevent." I just don't see how it's going to change much as to doing the NICS check unless you have a good relationship with a small local FFL.

One of the small local FFL's I deal with is ultra-conservative on what he'll do. I don't see him bypassing the NICS check even if it's legal. For instance, he won't accept and transfer to me, firearms from an individual, even though it's perfectly legal. ATF "guidance decrees" tell him it's not a best practice. It's why I have several other sources for these perfectly legal transfers.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Well, whether you are for or against, Indiana used to be this way until the Clinton Mafia got their way. IIRC, it was a 3 day wait for handguns purchases unless the buyer had a LTCH which allowed cash and carry. Heck, I bought my first Colt AR-15 carbine, and my Winchester Mod 96 Ranger cash and carry (each currently reside in the safe). I don't remember the gutters along the street running with blood when the States STILL had States Rights. It needs to get back to the way it was, so Indiana can give the fed alphabet organizations the big FU, in my opinion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of the small local FFL's I deal with is ultra-conservative on what he'll do. I don't see him bypassing the NICS check even if it's legal. For instance, he won't accept and transfer to me, firearms from an individual, even though it's perfectly legal. ATF "guidance decrees" tell him it's not a best practice. It's why I have several other sources for these perfectly legal transfers.

He's a moron. That is exactly what its designed for. ATF WANTS him to run transactions through his shop so they can make sure the recipient is a proper person.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I seen where it was being asked if it was being bypassed. Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry.

OK, No worries. It wasnt an automatic "come July 1 no more NICS". It was "Come July 1 we can apply for the new 5 year. Once it is active and the feds are able to consider its merit, it is expected* to pass muster and get the blessing to allow gun stores to bypass calling in for anyone who holds the new 5 year permit. At this time nobody has one yet, so of course it couldnt possibly be in effect yet.

Given how long it takes the govt to move, I dont expect us to be able to bypass the call in for at least 6 months. And as others have said, dont expect big box stores or new-ish LGS' to not call in. I would only expect the tenured stores that were around back in the 90s where the old permit was accepted as cash and carry vs 5 day wait for no permit. New-ish stores (and big boxes with idiot corporate lawyers) may be slow (if ever) to adopt this new ability.

*Its expected because it was written to follow the requirements of the feds. No reason it shouldnt be exempt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom