• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    X-ring.

Thankfully, Pence will never sign it into law.

Unless there's an anti-abortion amendment.

Pence is a solid 2A guy, but I really don't think it is high up on his personal list of priorities. Becoming POTUS is.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    AT THIS TIME we are better with the election results but don't forget that Trump was, not long ago, a Lib.

I have been saying this for 20 years and will repeat it for the 1000th time." Congress will NEVER completely ban guns, they would never be reelected. What we WILL see is another hi cap ban, and ammo tax." Those issues are NOT mentioned in the Second.

You SHOULD own your weapons but start buying mags and ammo.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If anyone comes across any info on who might be (startlingly quickly) helping to [STRIKE]use as props[/STRIKE] organize the schoolkids in this case to hold sophisticated protests, I'm interested in some cites/info

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    If anyone comes across any info on who might be (startlingly quickly) helping to [STRIKE]use as props[/STRIKE] organize the schoolkids in this case to hold sophisticated protests, I'm interested in some cites/info

I'm with you. It's almost like.....someone had this response all organized in advance and was just waiting for the right tragedy to come along (exploit).

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I think Pres. Trump knows his base. If he goes with the left on a gun control ban of any sort, he will lose the next election. If he goes with the left on this, they'll still hate him, and he won't gain votes. He can only lose with them. He can keep his base by standing firm.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I think Pres. Trump knows his base. If he goes with the left on a gun control ban of any sort, he will lose the next election. If he goes with the left on this, they'll still hate him, and he won't gain votes. He can only lose with them. He can keep his base by standing firm.

Totally agree with this. He's been surprisingly solid on gun rights. I guess we'll see if he keeps that rolling, or if he commits political suicide.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Looks like Trump is floating "improvements" to the gun background checks. Sure, the big data issue will always be there. How in the world do we define the kind of mental issues that should strip someone of a constitutional right, AND how is that determination made - by a judge or administrative agency or what.

One thing that I'm wrestling with is the idea that someone could buy a gun, THEN get a diagnosis making them not a proper person. It would be great to be able to know if they've already bought a firearm and go ask them about it.

But, that would require a near-universal registration, which would still have significant cracks through which situations could slip. And that's not something I'm particularly enamored of.

Ultimately, we are left relying on those close to such non-proper person designees to tell authorities if they have weapons.

You're right. As much as it seems like there's a solution in there, all roads seem to lead to due process issues. And I'm not at all ok with that.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of penalty for those who know a family member has a diagnosis of a certain mental illness, and knows that person owns a firearm, but does not report that to law enforcement. But that sounds really hard to prosecute.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I watched some of the millenials talking on the news last night. It was pointed out that this entire generation is post-Columbine. They were articulate and passionate. They are used to organizing over social media, so - while they may be getting some help - I really don't think they are pawns at all. (Well, some of them might be. Most of them appear to be earnest.)

This is the time that our (gun owners') efforts to educate our own young'ins will be tested. Yes, we will probably have to be a bit patronizing when we educate about "those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" type philosophy. They are reacting emotionally and we need to weather that storm.

Also, we need to realize that the times may be changing. They are about old enough to vote. There's a real chance that they use the democratic process to enact more gun control, over time.

We need to be more about education than ever before.

All IMHO, still.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I watched some of the millenials talking on the news last night. It was pointed out that this entire generation is post-Columbine. They were articulate and passionate. They are used to organizing over social media, so - while they may be getting some help - I really don't think they are pawns at all. (Well, some of them might be. Most of them appear to be earnest.)

This is the time that our (gun owners') efforts to educate our own young'ins will be tested. Yes, we will probably have to be a bit patronizing when we educate about "those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" type philosophy. They are reacting emotionally and we need to weather that storm.

Also, we need to realize that the times may be changing. They are about old enough to vote. There's a real chance that they use the democratic process to enact more gun control, over time.

All IMHO, still.

:yesway:

Can't rep you, but you're spot on.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I watched some of the millenials talking on the news last night... They were articulate...

Call me a cynic, but IMHO, that's evidence right there of some serious coaching up.;)

As the father of two millennials, I have spent years listening to their generation talk in casual and formal settings. Articulate is rarely an adjective I'd use. Not that it doesn't happen, I'm just always a little surprised when it does.

I have a feeling there's a non-zero number of "community organizers" trolling the crowds of young protesters and on social media looking for candidates to be faces of this movement.:rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Trump is a smart businessman who knows optics are huge. Like every politician in FL, he has to be careful not to immediately dismiss the attractive gullible youths that the anti-gun libs have smartly used to advance their agenda.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

All IMHO, still.

With these kids talking like they do, it's pretty obvious they're not learning much from history and government. Send em off to the military and let them serve. Then see how their opinions change

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I wouldn't get too worried about Trump yet...I'm much more concerned about the various Republican Congressmen who are testing the winds. Trump's two sons are advising him to support the 2A and Trump does value loyalty.

Article here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/don-j...go-wobbly-on-guns?source=articles_sum&via=rss

Don Jr. Advises President Trump After School Shooting: Don’t Go Wobbly on Guns

As President Donald Trump surveys aides and guests at his resort at Mar-a-Lago about what to do about gun control in the wake of another school shooting, one voice close to him is advising that he not give in to those calling for stricter measures.

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son, has been assuring his dad that the right move was to stay strong on gun rights and draw a hard line on the issue that helped propel him in the 2016 election. He is among the host of people talking to the president in the wake of the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which resulted in the death of 17 people. But the fact that he is family makes his access more personal and his guidance more trusted.

For those hoping to turn the latest national tragedy into a robust legislative response on guns, this isn’t a good thing. While some friends have urged Trump to adopt a more balanced approach, or even for the revival of an assault-weapons ban, Trump Jr. has argued that there was no time for even a hint of reversion to the more restrictive views on guns that Trump espoused years before he became leader of the Republican Party.

According to three sources with knowledge of their conversations, the president and Trump Jr. repeatedly discussed gun control over the long Presidents’ Day weekend, often as they both closely watched a TV airing footage in real-time of young Parkland students savaging the president for his inaction.

When polled on his opinions on the matter, the first son emphatically replied that the president must not waver on his pro-gun stance, whatever the impassioned calls for reform. Trump Jr., according to these sources, reminded his father that inching toward gun control would be immediately taken by his conservative base—as well as major donors and motivated activist networks, including the National Rifle Association—as an unforgivable betrayal.

Eric Trump, his middle son, readily agreed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A fart into the wind, perhaps.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ocks-rifles-into-automatic-weapons/354536002/

“We can do more to protect our children. We must do more to protect our children,” Trump said, promising that school safety is now a top priority of his administration.
    Moments before, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the administration was nearing the completion of a months-long study into the issue.
    "I can tell you that the president supports not having the use of bump stocks," she said. "The president does not support the use of those accessories."

(Totally trying to get under GPIashvvsungosunghuhnsss's skin by posting this in a totally different thread.) ;)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Trump was for the assault weapons ban before he was against the assault weapons ban.

Many have been fooled into thinking Trump is pro Second Amendment. He is not.

(Of course, many were fooled into thinking he would repeal "Obamacare" and cut spending too.... but those are other stories for other days)

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Bump stock news here: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/politics/politics-latest/index.html

President Trump said he has directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to propose changes that would ban so-called "bump stocks," which make it easier to fire rounds quicker.
    "Just a few moments ago I signed a memo directing the attorney general to propose regulations that ban all devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns," Trump said at a Medal of Valor event at the White House.
    "I expect these regulations to be finalized, Jeff, very soon," Trump said.

This is NOT looking good at all, BUT his wording was interesting...it seemed like he carefully stated that he’s directing the DOJ to ban items that turn semiautos into machine guns...DOJ cannot change law, but I wonder if he’s setting them up to take the heat from the anti’s when DOJ determines it’s already illegal to convert a rifle to a MG and that the devices to do so are already illegal too (think lightening links and drop-in auto sears). A bumpstock does not turn a rifle into an MG per the current letter of the law and legal definition of a semi-auto vs. full auto. The response to his memo MIGHT be “Mr. President, such devices are already regulated or prohibited, and our finding is that bumpfire stocks do not convert legal semi-automatic rifles into machine guns.” Probably over-optimistic considering the comments from the NRA following Las Vegas though. :noway:

I guess we’ll find out soon.

If anything actually changes, I fail to see the strategy.....it's going to make his base like him less and the left will still hate him.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, maybe if you have a situation where you're fielding several tips from people pointing to someone's social media presence where they're seriously talking about shooting up a school, maybe that can be taken before a judge to get some kind of emergency ruling to allow intervention.

As far as being put on any can't-buy list, that needs to be through the courts.

Or maybe if you've had the police called to your residence 39 times for "trouble" with an individual, and that individual is also on the FBI's radar for making threatening posts on social media... maybe said individual is worth looking into a little more closely.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Or maybe if you've had the police called to your residence 39 times for "trouble" with an individual, and that individual is also on the FBI's radar for making threatening posts on social media... maybe said individual is worth looking into a little more closely.

I brought this up in a different thread, but I don't really fault the FBI on this one. Certainly not as much as they appear to be faulting themselves. (Kinda makes one wonder if the White House is helping draft their talking points on this.) I am open to someone pointing out what federal law he might have broken right up until the point he walked into the GFZ.

The local authorities would've had a better chance of dealing with him.

Top Bottom