• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Would like some recommendations. There are a lot of websites out there selling such items and I imagine it's a product that would garner a lot of attention from frauds and the like. Any actual purchasing experience INGO?

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Are there any recommended brands/manufacturers that our local Police departments would buy or an approved list somewhere? If a manufacturer claims he meets some US Standard for different levels of protection is he required to run tests to prove capability and maybe even repeat these tests for an annual qualification??

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Buy from a reputable manufacturer like US Palm or AR500, or, alternatively, satisfy the requirements of a police supply dealer like Steven R. Jenkins in Indianapolis. Body armor is not unlawful for civilians to own, but retailers and manufacturers may be leery of selling it to just anyone.

What you need to be wary of is buying stuff like "surplus" ceramic body armor inserts at gun shows, since it typically takes an X-ray to determine if a particular ceramic insert has been abused so that its protection is compromised and, as far as I know, the Army doesn't "surplus" out its serviceable ceramic inserts.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Buy from a reputable manufacturer like US Palm or AR500, or, alternatively, satisfy the requirements of a police supply dealer like Steven R. Jenkins in Indianapolis. Body armor is not unlawful for civilians to own, but retailers and manufacturers may be leery of selling it to just anyone.

What you need to be wary of is buying stuff like "surplus" ceramic body armor inserts at gun shows, since it typically takes an X-ray to determine if a particular ceramic insert has been abused so that its protection is compromised and, as far as I know, the Army doesn't "surplus" out its serviceable ceramic inserts.

Thanks Blackhawk2001, that is good advice. Looking on the internet there are several suppliers. Have you or anyone got experience with Dragon Skin by Pinnacle or Safariland products for instance?? I have heard of US Palm before, but some reviews on Midway USA say that their vest did not get a rating because of size, which doesn't sound right. Also, do these things withstand knives/stabbing as well as projectiles??

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Any actual purchasing experience INGO?

I have purchased armor products from Galls Police Gear and Triad Tactical, Inc.. Transactions with both outfits were positive.

That being said, what is the anticipated threat you are trying to counter (i.e. what type of armor do you need)? Are you aware of the pros/cons of the various types of armor available?

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been interested for a while for home defence. I saw them being recommended on a list in a magazine years ago to keep for any break-ins say assuming you have time to put it on.

Now I also have helped out as a Range Officer at the GSSF at Eagle Creek and the Police and Fire Games a while ago, if anyone remembers this event and thought this would be useful for safety purposes if you are ever doing any of this type of work.

Definitely not for everyday wear!!

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is there a handy page on the Internet with "Pros and Con's"?? I have seen some showing different levels of protection and obviously the more protection you get, the heavier the armor.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Exactly what I need guys, some good to go retailers. I'm just looking for some pistol caliber protection. I figure if things do get bad that seems the most useful choice for cost seeing how rare usage of anything larger is in crime.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Body armor is a lot like a sling or a scope, the kind you get depends on what you want to be doing with it... Almost no civilian will ever need LVL IV stand alone plates because we're just not facing a threat like 7.62 APM2. 9 times out of 10 IIIA, III (in conjunction), or III stand alone will MORE then suffice. Do you need it to be light weight? AR500 will not be light at all hence it's affordability. I make body armor for a living and you won't catch me wearing steal. How long will you ever need to be wearing it for? What is your (perceived) biggest threat? Bug out requirement? There are a lot of questions to be asked before deciding on what you need or want.

Regarding Certification. If it isn't NIJ 0101.06 certified then it's not the latest. If you get into Mil-Spec Certs, that's a whole new ball game. NIJ and Mil-Spec are NOT even remotely the same thing.

If you want info check this website out. Bulletproofme.com, Nick is a very knowledgable guy! Also, if you move into the helmet world... Also a whole new ball game. There is no NIJ Cert for helmets, but every one you find online will say it NIJ bla bla bla.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    What size are ya? I have a few vest I need to sell. I have a brand new IOTV and new OTV as well as another used vest. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. If you are wanting concealable armor we were always issued Safariland or Catalyst vest, just a few brands you can search

Top Bottom