• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n3v3rtrstamor0n

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    :rockwoot::ar15:hi all i am new to the forum.if this is in wrong area im sorry just want the truth...today is my bday and want a new toy...ok i went and filed my ltch yesterday at sheriffs office in warsaw was told by the women that took my app yesterday that i CAN NOT transport any firearm till i got my permit....now i was told by a few that i can transport new guns that i buy or i can transport to gunsmith for work is this true or not?can i atleast transport?thanks for the help.....

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You may transport to and from a gun shop/gunsmith to your home. To take a handgun to the range technically requires at least a hunting and target permit tho I cannot see anyone being arrested for an unloaded and cased handgun on their way to the range.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are very limited without an LTCH. You can basically take it from the gun store to your home or place of business or back/forth for repair. You can't take it to the range for practice, carry it around during the day (outside of your home/business), etc, etc.

This and a lot of other useful LTCH/carry info is in the INGO FAQs.

Here is the relevant quote from the Indiana Code about who can transport handguns without violating the law. There are other exceptions (police, etc), but this applies for most people:

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    As long as the handgun is unloaded and seperate from the ammo you can transport the fitearm. Just keep the ammo seperate. A long gun can be transported anytime with or without a permit.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    As long as the handgun is unloaded and seperate from the ammo you can transport the firearm. Just keep the ammo seperate. A long gun can be transported anytime with or without a permit.

Not true, the Indiana law is very clear on this. However, your chances of having any problems are small.

EDIT: copy and pasted from the FAQ sticky(yes, I know how to use it...) :)

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    As long as the handgun is unloaded and seperate from the ammo you can transport the fitearm. Just keep the ammo seperate. A long gun can be transported anytime with or without a permit.

"But officer, I heard from THE INTERNET that you can transport a handgun without a license as long as the handgun is unloaded and ammo is separate from the gun"

"Sorry but the internet lied, you're being charged with a Class A misdemeanor per IC 35-47-2-23 (c)"

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You may transport to and from a gun shop/gunsmith to your home. To take a handgun to the range technically requires at least a hunting and target permit tho I cannot see anyone being arrested for an unloaded and cased handgun on their way to the range.

There's a link in the INGO FAQ about that exact thing happening to an INGO member, and it was right after the police told him it was legal.

You should read the FAQ!

Last edited:

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    Laws concerning transporting firearms vary from state to state, so it is a very good idea to know the laws of your state. I didn't know that in Indiana you cannot legally transport a handgun to a shooting range without a license. I've lived in states where that was not the case. Thanks INGO, for sharing the knowledge.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You may transport a handgun from the place of purchase to your home or fixed place of business after you buy it... which means you can go treat yourself to your b-day present if you wish. Can't take it to the range, though :(

Now, if you buy a long gun, you do not need a license, so you can take it to the range, hunting, whereever.

Edit: Happy Birthday, btw!

n3v3rtrstamor0n

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    :draw:good im wanting a new sig p250 .45 cal most likely going to drive to bluffton to buy one from 21st century firearms....cant wait just didnt want to go to jail..lmao.....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Laws concerning transporting firearms vary from state to state, so it is a very good idea to know the laws of your state. I didn't know that in Indiana you cannot legally transport a handgun to a shooting range without a license. I've lived in states where that was not the case. Thanks INGO, for sharing the knowledge.

I have lived in several states over the years. Indiana is the only one that I am aware of requires a license just to transport a handgun. Michigan at the time I was there required every handgun to have a little green "safety" certificate.
    :draw:good im wanting a new sig p250 .45 cal most likely going to drive to bluffton to buy one from 21st century firearms....cant wait just didnt want to go to jail..lmao.....

Go ahead and treat yourself. Bring it home, post pictures of it on INGO, carry it around the house looking at it in the mirror. But don't take it to a public range. What you do on private property is your business.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

& don't get confused about that last part about "moving from one dwelling or business to another". That means if you are actually "moving", as in packing all of your belongings up & relocating to a different permanent or semi-permanent address.

Some will try to argue otherwise. Don't listen. Well...you can if you want but just remember that you could get arrested & convicted for it. It's not our interpretation (or the cops) that matters but what a judge & jury will think.

Top Bottom