• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I have tried deer hunting on roush lake the last 3 years with no success. This year I have only seen 1 doe so I thought I better keep exploring trying to find some better signs and a new spot. So today I found a fresh dug up spot with tons of tracks in it with an overhead branch that looks a little chewed up. 30 yards away I found another one just like it. I see 5 paths going thru this area. My question is should I hunt this area or set up on one of the paths leading to this area. Or is my thinking all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have learned so much the last 3 years but I'm not going another year with out learning to field dress a deer.

Up until now I have found food and water sources and set up between them and the woods. I will find a path going right to it and set up for a good shot from the path. I don't know if it's because of state ground and more pressured but I never see them. Now on those paths I have never seen a scrap or any other signs other than tracks so I might be all wrong to set up there. Also there are a lot of rabbit hunters out this weekend with dogs. How have you guys seen how this affects the deer. Does it move them more, do they hunker down until dark, or do they not care.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Find good cover where all the trails come together and keep the odds high. Dogs will definitely mess up the regular patterns of the deer but I wouldn't dismiss the area you found with all the trails merging. Sounds like a good place to take some meat and maybe a rack.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Forget water source hunting. There's plenty of it around here.
    Might look for shallow water crossings though. They can swim fine, but tend to be lazy and cross where it's easiest.
    Food? That's everywhere too.
    I'd hit oaks early and corn. Hate beanfield hunting (even if early).

I'd look for thick stuff, where the deer will feel safe.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have tried deer hunting on roush lake the last 3 years with no success. This year I have only seen 1 doe so I thought I better keep exploring trying to find some better signs and a new spot. So today I found a fresh dug up spot with tons of tracks in it with an overhead branch that looks a little chewed up. 30 yards away I found another one just like it. I see 5 paths going thru this area. My question is should I hunt this area or set up on one of the paths leading to this area. Or is my thinking all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have learned so much the last 3 years but I'm not going another year with out learning to field dress a deer.

Up until now I have found food and water sources and set up between them and the woods. I will find a path going right to it and set up for a good shot from the path. I don't know if it's because of state ground and more pressured but I never see them. Now on those paths I have never seen a scrap or any other signs other than tracks so I might be all wrong to set up there. Also there are a lot of rabbit hunters out this weekend with dogs. How have you guys seen how this affects the deer. Does it move them more, do they hunker down until dark, or do they not care.
    If you keep heading south on this trail, I'd be willing to bet you'll see a stand not 15 feet off the path. Roush seems to be fairly over hunted, especially directly off trails. I was squirrel hunting a week ago, and saw a guys stand literally 3 feet from the trail. I highly doubt he's getting any venison this year.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    thanks for all the commets. i know this is everything they say not to do but when i go as far as i can from the parking lot thats all i see is stands everywhere. this is about 2 min from parking and in really thick thick stuff. cant find a stand anywhere. i have read go where hunters are not and i think everyone is going far away. i have seen 15 stands in this section and none of them are in thick stuff they are all on a cleared path and are far away from parking. there are also oak trees just a little farther down from this spot.well cant do any worse than im doing now hopefully i can show some pics later this week. thanks and keep the tips coming i will take all i can get

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you keep heading south on this trail, I'd be willing to bet you'll see a stand not 15 feet off the path. Roush seems to be fairly over hunted, especially directly off trails. I was squirrel hunting a week ago, and saw a guys stand literally 3 feet from the trail. I highly doubt he's getting any venison this year.

I have killed deer walking down specific trails many times. I usually set a stand off the trail though. Shot angle is better.
    Have spit on a deer before, and shot two almost straight down..........because my stand was right on the trail. Even had a doe about bang her head into my bow hanging from a rope.

Had 2 intersecting trails yesterday. I'm 25 yards from the N/S one. And maybe N of the E/W one by 5 yards. 8 point cuz missed came from the E trail and turned onto the S one. Cuz was in northern stand on another trail (more of a ridge runner). He did however have a stand on the SE intersect that had the 8 pass within 7 ft of the tree (no shot for me). My deer came in from the field and went right up the N/S trail.............and died on it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have killed deer walking down specific trails many times. I usually set a stand off the trail though. Shot angle is better.
    Have spit on a deer before, and shot two almost straight down..........because my stand was right on the trail. Even had a doe about bang her head into my bow hanging from a rope.

Had 2 intersecting trails yesterday. I'm 25 yards from the N/S one. And maybe N of the E/W one by 5 yards. 8 point cuz missed came from the E trail and turned onto the S one. Cuz was in northern stand on another trail (more of a ridge runner). He did however have a stand on the SE intersect that had the 8 pass within 7 ft of the tree (no shot for me). My deer came in from the field and went right up the N/S trail.............and died on it.

On public land? I saw no evidence of deer near that guy's stand. No tracks whatsoever, no scrapes, no rubs, no droppings. Nothing. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got way back on some public land 2 yrs ago.
    Had bucks running a scrape line, big rubs. Never saw who did that, but had 3 does and 3 small bucks run that trail.
    It runs the edge of crop and oak, and cuts into a ridge.
    It was decent, so others set up for gun on it, and a couple guys packed stands in and out (one got at least a doe off that trail.....she was no dummy, as I never got a shot at her). 8:30 am she'd come off the beans and loop.....with 2 fawns.

I went to another public land spot late season, set my ground blind up on a trail (compound bow)............but saw an unused stand that looked "better" (last day of bow, stand was loose and hadn't been maintained for ???............so I secured it to be safe......lest the owner come and fall while trying to undo the top).

It was maybe 40 yards down, on one of the 2 fingers of that trail.

Yeah, 4 pointer comes down the trail and literally looks into my blind, from 5 feet.
    Same trail, saw does on it during gun season..........they pound it down like cement. Of course there was an orange hat farther down.........so I just left. Saw the deer by the hunter, from across the field....gun season following year.

Good spot, good trail..............but stands on it. Who knows how many ground pounders bust it up, or guys who pack stands in and out?

Its a ways back too.

I see TONS of stands left out on public land, many are not removed per the regs...............folks set 'em up and either forget them, or I don't know what.

Maybe they steal them from others and then post them on public for seasons on end. I know there are 2 that have been on public land for 3 yrs straight. Never see people in them. We use them come coyote season (post deer season).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had a sweet spot picked out (private land) once. One trail went right against the base of the tree I wanted to use. I figured I would put a stand up, kill that trail, and hunt the rest.

First night hunting I tried taking a picture of a deer with my phone, and couldn't get the picture due to my feet being in the way. It was a button buck, so that explains some of the stupidity, but I was shocked to have a deer maybe 1-2 FEET from my ladder.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    My largest buck to date came from public land. (10pt with a bow over in Illinois). You just have to be willing to do the extra work that nobody else will. Go in deep. Go in before sunrise and leave after sundown. Sneak Sneak Sneak.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think trails work on public ground, as long as folks don't redirect them ahead of you. But then, somebody could steer one to the trail you're on.

Never know.
    I plan on hunters moving the deer to me when hunting heavily hunted public land. I've been very successful using this strategy.
    I do better staying on stand until noon when the average hunter heads for lunch. Go figure.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I can't get out to the woods on week days until 400p.m. Is that to late or not worth it. I figure the only way I'm going to get one is buy being in the woods and not at home. But I don't want to be doing some thing wrong either. What time are you guys and gals seeing them active lately.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I can't get out to the woods on week days until 400p.m. Is that to late or not worth it. I figure the only way I'm going to get one is buy being in the woods and not at home. But I don't want to be doing some thing wrong either. What time are you guys and gals seeing them active lately.

When do you usually head to Roush for hunting? I am looking to go when firearm opens but I know the weekends there will be packed so I thought about taking a day or two during the week off of work and just go out there all day and hope for the best. It would be my first time and I can at least get my "feet wet".

One question about Roush, is it possible to park else where or can you only park in their parking lot. I know you need to check in but after that can you find a spot on the other side of 69 and give it a go?

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Just get to the stand and be a statue. You'll see deer if they don't see you first. I like evenings as well as mornings. I have killed deer all through out the day from dawn to dusk. Just don't move if you've parked on an active trail.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I know Roush Lake. I had access to some great river bottom land but often I would choose Roush over it. Here is why...The deeper you go the less pressure you get and much more deer sightings. 1) If you don't want to go deep don't go. To many elmer fud type guys thinking they will sneak up on a deer with their bow. 2) It is superior during the week. 3) The only thing water is good for is to locate fresh track. 4) The majority of those deer are absolutely last light deer. 5) Plan all day hunts this time of year. 6) Have 3-4 options their because it is public. 7) Think thick n' Nasty it will be worth it. 8) Climber...Set up in Riverbottoms but not in lone trees. It has been half dozen years since I hunted it. PM me for more details.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    This is my 2nd year trying to deer hunt and hunting on public land no less. Last year I was at Lieber. Out of 5 days in the woods, I had 1 shot at 1 deer (a buck) but I let the adrenaline get to me and I completely missed. This year I'm in a remote part of Morgan Monroe along a dried creek bed and I've been out every morning since Saturday. The first day I had a buck come in but never gave me a good shot so at the last possible moment before he got out of my range I took a shot. I know I hit him since my arrow had blood on it from head to nock but it had to been a thru and thru. I'm using a crossbow and think it passed all the way through without hitting anything vital since I searched a half a mile in the direction he took off to but never found him nor very much blood. Although I did find their bedding area. The next day I had a doe come in but never within range.

For the last 3 days, I've come up with goose egg! I even tried a new spot along their trail but still nothing! It's hard to not get disappointed after 3 days of nothing but cold feet and hands and 2 years of bupkis.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    This is my 2nd year trying to deer hunt and hunting on public land no less. Last year I was at Lieber. Out of 5 days in the woods, I had 1 shot at 1 deer (a buck) but I let the adrenaline get to me and I completely missed. This year I'm in a remote part of Morgan Monroe along a dried creek bed and I've been out every morning since Saturday. The first day I had a buck come in but never gave me a good shot so at the last possible moment before he got out of my range I took a shot. I know I hit him since my arrow had blood on it from head to nock but it had to been a thru and thru. I'm using a crossbow and think it passed all the way through without hitting anything vital since I searched a half a mile in the direction he took off to but never found him nor very much blood. Although I did find their bedding area. The next day I had a doe come in but never within range.

For the last 3 days, I've come up with goose egg! I even tried a new spot along their trail but still nothing! It's hard to not get disappointed after 3 days of nothing but cold feet and hands and 2 years of bupkis.

Hopefully, you've learned from this that you should NEVER take a shot if it isn't a good one! You should have better willpower and better morals than to take a shot on an animal that you are not 100% sure of, just so he won't get away. A "thru and thru" May not result in an immediate kill, but it is still an injury that will most likely lead to the deers demise.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Hopefully, you've learned from this that you should NEVER take a shot if it isn't a good one! You should have better willpower and better morals than to take a shot on an animal that you are not 100% sure of, just so he won't get away. A "thru and thru" May not result in an immediate kill, but it is still an injury that will most likely lead to the deers demise.

1) Yes, I did regret taking the shot. In hindsight, I thought maybe I could have called him back in and gotten a better shot on him. Then I would have something to show for my labors.
    2) A thru and thru is not uncommon for crossbow shots flying at 300+ fps with a 400 grain arrow.

That reminds me for open for anyone...If you track your deer down and it's still not dead after a couple of hours, can you legally (and humanely) dispatch him with a bullet to the brain? It would be cruel not to if it were going to die but it would take quite a while.

Top Bottom