• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    How does one "try out" different handguns? Many feel great ...but firing them is way different than just holding them. Are there places to go to rent different ones to try out.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think what keybear is trying to say is that you should call up your local shooting ranges and see if any of them rent guns. That or maybe try to meet up with a friend or fellow ingo'er and see if they will let you try something out.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I'm pretty sure that most indoor ranges have rental guns available. They may not have the exact one you're looking into but are likely to have a similar family member. In my case, I was able to try out an M&P 40 but wound up buying the M&P 9.

I'd suggest calling the ranges around you to see what they have available. You might also see if you can meet up with other members from the forum similar to a thread in the General section where someone is looking to try several of the smaller CCW makes.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you for your advice. Had my first experience with an indoor range last Saturday. It was a lot of fun but was different than I expected. I took 2 that I have been practicing at home with, and was also able to shoot my friends new 9mm for the first time. It was my first experience with a 9 mm and I am assuming ( and hoping) that they all don't shoot like it. :)

I will call the range to see if they rent. Thank you again.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    if u want pm me your number and we can meet to shoot.. my buddies and i meet once a week and have atleast 10 different firearms to shoot from all different calibers

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Wow, what a novel idea, try it out before you buy. Never done it.

Truthfully, no joke, I never ever thought it was an option.

A little off topic, but kinda the same, I heard Bass Pro let people shoot bows before they try them. Honestly, I never met anyone that good with a bow, they could shoot a dozen or so arrows and say, that's for me!! I feel even stronger about firearms, in regards to "trying them out". BTW--I'd never buy a bow from Bass Pro after I heard that fact.

Last edited:

james9934

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    I moved up to the Fort from NC and I was always allowed to rent guns, even if I had no intention of buying them. Its what I did when I wanted to go shooting with friends. Now that I moved up here the range connected to H&H doesnt offer that service, I was pretty bummed.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A little off topic, but kinda the same, I heard Bass Pro let people shoot bows before they try them. Honestly, I never met anyone that good with a bow, they could shoot a dozen or so arrows and say, that's for me!! I feel even stronger about firearms, in regards to "trying them out". BTW--I'd never buy a bow from Bass Pro after I heard that fact.

Surely, they have demo models that they let people try out. I assume they wouldn't sell a demo'd bow as new... :dunno:

With firearms, you should be able to tell quite a bit by just running a mag or two though it, let alone renting it for an hour. What is the trigger like, recoil characteristics, ergonomics, how the gun balances while loaded, sight picture and point of impact.

I moved up to the Fort from NC and I was always allowed to rent guns, even if I had no intention of buying them. Its what I did when I wanted to go shooting with friends. Now that I moved up here the range connected to H&H doesnt offer that service, I was pretty bummed.

A lot has changed now that H&H is Freedom Firearms, but I'm not sure if they rent or not at this point. Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke does rent, but I'm not sure what they have on hand.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How does one "try out" different handguns? Many feel great ...but firing them is way different than just holding them. Are there places to go to rent different ones to try out.

Better than renting would be to watch the events forum on here and make a point to make one of the meet and shoots... Members on here are always great and usually willing to let other members try different things.

james9934

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Better than renting would be to watch the events forum on here and make a point to make one of the meet and shoots... Members on here are always great and usually willing to let other members try different things.

I'll definitly have to try and make it to one. is there ever anything like that happening in Fort Wayne?

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Took my wife to Gander Mountain to try bows. They had a test range (read: long hallway). She has always been a 'little timid' with the guns, but very accepting. After watching here drill 8 of ten bullseyes, I learned (after 30 years together) she had competed with a bow in high school and college.

Guess everyone has their weapon of choice... And I do my best to not p*** her off...

---NavyVet

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll definitly have to try and make it to one. is there ever anything like that happening in Fort Wayne?

Yes, the Ft. Wayne area members get together at the range a couple / few times each year... Last year it was at Huntington ( Roush ) and Isaak Walton. Wait till the weather warms a little and watch the forum... There is a meet and greet in the planning stage for next month sometime, but don't know if anyone will head to the range after.

Click here: Ft. Wayne area meetup 2/12/2012 - INGunOwners

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Hillside has posted what they rent, and tge guy running it said if they didn't have it he would try to find someone willing to let me shoot it.

I'm trying to fin an m&p 9 for my wife to shoot, and maybe the c model. She "likes" the looks of the grips.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hillside has posted what they rent, and tge guy running it said if they didn't have it he would try to find someone willing to let me shoot it.

I'm trying to fin an m&p 9 for my wife to shoot, and maybe the c model. She "likes" the looks of the grips.

I have an m&p9c and shoot at hillside or roush pretty regularly (as long as is isn't too darn cold). I'm in KS this weekend, but you're welcome to hit me up sometime if you want to meet up.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have an m&p9c and shoot at hillside or roush pretty regularly (as long as is isn't too darn cold). I'm in KS this weekend, but you're welcome to hit me up sometime if you want to meet up.

Thanks a bunch. I will talk it over with her and find out what she says. She's super nervous around people, so she will probably say no. Lol

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can meet people omn this forum who are GENERALLY nice and willing to let you try theirs.

Even at the range, I've let people try out a weapon if they show interest. If people have fun, they might shoot more. If they shoot more, they might get friends to go. Less people to vote against our rights.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all for the info. Yes, Elkart does have rental and was very helpful in answering my questions. And I have been watching for a "meet and greet" and abracadabra there is one coming up. Thanks again

Top Bottom