• ...and so much more!
  • Eric J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello Everyone,

Me and my wife have been considering the purchase of handgun(s). We have LTCHs but we would like the opportunity to try out several different models and calibers before making a decision. Up until now my experience has been in rifles I have never owned a handgun myself. So the question is: Is there someplace we can go to try out a few different models in various calibers before making a decision? This is probably a dumb question but I have never run into it as an issue before now.

Thanks for any help.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think there is range in Indy that rents guns.

Or sign up for our NRA Basic Pistol class in a couple of weeks near Columbus. Bring a box of ammo to the open range session after the class and shoot any of the guns I own. We provide the guns and ammo for the class itself. You will shoot several handguns in class.

Sign up for CraigH's handgun familarization course at Hoosier Hills. He talks about different handgun platforms.

What types of guns are you interested in?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I am not sure what their inventory is as far as make and cal, but Beech Grove Firearms and Range, and Indy Trading Post both have rental guns available.

Eric J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Bloomington
    Revolvers used to appeal to me. Lately I have been taking the semi-autos very seriously. As far as type or brand I don't even know where to start. As far as caliber, I am not too worried about my ability to handle a variety of calibers, but my wife is concerned about the recoil. I would like to see her experience calibers up through .40, just to see how it feels to her. I want something that is comfortable to her and she enjoys shooting.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a 40S&W Glock that I can convert to 9mm. It is great for showing people the difference between cartridges. We also have the ladies shoot the mighty 45 acp. Trust me with the proper technique recoil is not a problem. That said I keep a 9mm M&P in the house for my wife. It is probably the softest shooting 9mm I have ever handled.

With todays technology a mid sized service pistol in 9mm, 40, or 45 is really the way to go.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Come up to the south side of Indy to Indy Trading Post. Rent any gun for $9.99 for a half hour (plus ammo, of course). Try as many as you like for $25 (I believe). They have about 50 different handguns to rent. I believe they will take the rental fee off of purchase price if you buy a gun! Great prices, friendliest people in town!

Faiden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Good luck choosing your handgun! It's a big decision, so take your time. Not sure about where to rent (just moved here myself), but if you get the chance, take a look at the M&P Shield! It's a fantastic little shooter.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If you decide to attend the Basic Pistol that VERT mentioned, I'm planning on attending & can help by bringing a few different styles you've mentioned. I also know that CraigH is rather thorough with his Familiarization classes... My wife attended it and was very pleased with how it was handled.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Try shooting the same make of gun in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Try Glock, M&P, XD, Sig, and 1911. You may find it hard to find a 1911 in .40 S&W but do try it in the other 2. There are a lot more good and great guns out there other than the 5 I listed but they are what I see most at the range. If you can do the NRA Basic Pistol class your wife will get a lot out of it. You may or may not if you have been around guns. Don't tell your wife she needs to have the same gun you fall in love with. What will feel like a $1,000,000 too you might be like a 2X4 to her. Remember, you may have to compromise to keep her shooting with you. If you are only buying one gun buy for her then get yours when you can.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Revolvers used to appeal to me. Lately I have been taking the semi-autos very seriously. As far as type or brand I don't even know where to start. As far as caliber, I am not too worried about my ability to handle a variety of calibers, but my wife is concerned about the recoil. I would like to see her experience calibers up through .40, just to see how it feels to her. I want something that is comfortable to her and she enjoys shooting.

While I prefer heavier calibers (.357 and up) my wife prefers 9mm and down for recoil and controllability! Recently, the wife held a Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm...and fell in love with it (guess what she got for our anniversary?) The best part is her groupings were less than 6" at 15'...which was a huge improvement...so I was very glad we made the purchase!

Good luck...and enjoy the search!

Indysteel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Southport
    IMHO, it boils down to how and why you want to carry. For me it boiled down to wanting to protect my family and the end goal of carrying everyday. I got caught up with watching YouTube videos and different opinions on what I need to carry. I picked a decent gun but for me it wasn't going to be carried everyday due to bulk. So, on my next purchase I went with a smaller caliber (.380) and slimmer gun that makes it easy to carry.

Top Bottom