Trying to catch a chicken serial killer!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    For the last three mornings, I have awakened to find dead chickens and turkeys in the run. The current tally is 3 meat chickens and 2 turkeys. Whatever is killing them rips off their head, then leaves. None of the meat or guts are eaten. I am determined to figure out what it is that is doing this and hopefully get a good shot at it tonight. I have heard raccoons will kill chickens like then and not eat them. Seems like a real waste. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the killer and how did you stop it?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like raccoons. A friend and neighbor raises chickens here in the GSF and after similar problems constructed what is probably the largest and most heavily fortified chicken pen I've ever seen. It would take heavy equipment to get to the chickens now.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    You have to put fencing on the floor and tie it into the sides. Had the same problem a few years ago and this solved the problem.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Definitely 'coons. Get a live trap, catch 'em, take 'em to your most despised relative and turn 'em loose.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Bread, peanut butter, cat food, whatever's cheap and smells. Oh yeah, marshmallows work great!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In the event you run into trap smart raccoon, put a mouse trap inside the cage trap. While a trap smart raccoon can figure out how to get the bait without setting off the trap, the mouse trap will always go off startling the raccoon and causing it to set off the main trap.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Also would not rule out Possums. If you have space a Jackass will eliminate a lot of problems.
    Man.... so many jokes. Actually, my wife wants a donkey. We have room. It would require me to install more fencing. I just don’t know that I want the added work or expense right now. Does that make me a jackass? :D

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Raccoons typically will take off the head but will also eat the guts. Not always, but most of the time, the chicken will be disemboweled.

Owls will take off the head and leave the carcass so that is another possibility. Owls are federally protected so illegal to shoot with hefty fines if caught.

Opossum, skunk and weasels are all possible as well.

Coyotes or fox would likely carry off the carcass and leave behind just some feathers.

Live traps baited with marshmallows smeared in some peanut butter work well for coons and opossum. You could also tie a dead bird into the back of the trap and fasten the trap to something so they don't drag it off. I like to cover the sides of the trap with boards or cement blocks (something solid and heavy enough that they cannot easily move it) so they have to go into the trap to get the bait and can't just get it from the outside/back of the trap.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Depending on your setup, you could get a livestock guardian dog. They will guard chickens just as well as they will larger animals.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Top Bottom