• ...and so much more!
  • jk294

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    Norhewest Indiana
    Hey, guys.

So, I have a stripped AR15 upper and lower receiver. Right now I'm looking for a barrel. I'm currently looking at getting a 14.5" from DSA arms(it will receiver a flash hider that's long enough to achieve 16" OAL). But I'm also looking at maybe building another shorty with 10.5" or 11
    5" barrel with a F marked FSB. What I'd really like though is a 20" A4 style barrel, but I think that will just have to be another upper entirely.

1. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Does anyone have any recent experience with DSA's AR15 line?

3. Does anyone know where I can find just the barrel in 20" with a F marked FSB installed? Preferably with a Chrome Lined barrel?

Thanks guys

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I have good experience with Anderson mfg. I bought there 20" HBAR with crowned barrel and I love it. They have quite a few barrel lengths and setups, and they are very reasonably priced with good performance to go with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    First and foremost, what's your budget?

ding ding ding! Here's the most important thing OP needs to answer.

1. Suggestions are based on price. Many will suggest BCM or Daniel Defense for reliable, standard use barrels that will outlast you. Personally, I went with Faxon and it has treated me well.
    2. I have none personally
    3. Search AR15 A2 barrels, you may find what you're looking for.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What is your intended purpose for said rifles?

Are you just wanting a "combat" rifle?

Hunting? If so, what kind of hunting?

Varminting? Distances involved?

Just want to wring every bit of long-distance accuracy out OF the AR platform?

I certainly don't know enough about ARs or AR barrels to give you an actual advice on what to buy... But if you know your intended purpose (and budget...) then there are plenty who can indeed point you to the right direction.

I do know enough to know that the barrel you want for general plinking / range use / "combat" rifles is a lot different than if you want to shoot prairie dogs at 200+ yards. And that, again, is different than if you want to punch paper or ring steel at 500+ yards.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Ballistic Advantage should have a budget one or one for any application, i.e distance expense. I only use there barrels and have had lots of luck.

jk294

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    Norhewest Indiana
    I'm trying to keep under $200 for price. This rifle is going to be a "general purpose" rifle. It'll see combat-isk environments to include sending 300+ rounds through her in a single sitting without much cool down time, hiking in the woods in this area of the country and the arid terrian of the southwest (Nevada and Arizona), shooting targets up to but not limited to 400m. I don't need a 1moa barrel. It'd just get ruined in less than a year.

I tend to put my guns through hell. Im pretty sure my Cetme and 1911 don't like me that much. Lol

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I bought an aero precision barrel, they are made by ballistics advantage from my understanding. It's not chrome, but qpq. Supposedly the nitride treatment is as effective as chrome, but it actually goes into the metal of the barrel. I paid around $190 for a 16" mid-length. I haven't shot it yet, waiting to build it, but it is finished nicely, and everything seems good to go.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    DSA stuff is some of the best out there. Do not go shorter than 14.5 barrel. Keep in mind that a stripped barrel is going to be a lot more work to do. Unless you are putting a custom gas block on it, just get one already pinned.

jk294

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    Norhewest Indiana
    That's the game plan. I found out the hard way on my last build that they are drilled and pinned to the barrel so I have like two f marked FSB laying around that I'm not going to use. I ended up going with a Daniel Defense lowpro gas block on that one. Luckily the barrel I'm looking at for DSA already has a F marked FSB installed.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Hey, guys.

So, I have a stripped AR15 upper and lower receiver. Right now I'm looking for a barrel. I'm currently looking at getting a 14.5" from DSA arms(it will receiver a flash hider that's long enough to achieve 16" OAL). But I'm also looking at maybe building another shorty with 10.5" or 11
    5" barrel with a F marked FSB. What I'd really like though is a 20" A4 style barrel, but I think that will just have to be another upper entirely.

1. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Does anyone have any recent experience with DSA's AR15 line?

3. Does anyone know where I can find just the barrel in 20" with a F marked FSB installed? Preferably with a Chrome Lined barrel?

Thanks guys

i won't buy from DS Arms ever again. I ordered a complete lower from them years ago. It functions fine, but their shipping time sucked for an "in stock" item. And every time I called it was being assembled or shipped "later this afternoon."

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Another option for a barrel is AR Performance. The website might not be too good on the eyes but they sell some great barrels at a great price. As mentioned before, BCM is also a great place to get a barrel from.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Aero Precision owns Ballistic advantage now. I know for sure you can get a whole lot of barrel from those guys for less then 200 the one below is 160.00
    16" 5.56 Government Profile Mid-Length CMV Barrel | Ballistic Advantage

the Hanson series is there best one but that's a little over budget but not by much its 220.00. Clint has sales all the time on the barrels if you wait and watch.
    This is the one I bought, but from aero. I guess my memory is getting bad in my old age:):

jk294

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    Norhewest Indiana
    How good are CMV barrels for longevity, durability, and taking heat cycles? I know what a Chrome Lined barrel can take for the most part. Just never really seen anything about CMV barrels. I always assumed they were cheaper materials and would more than likely get shot out pretty quickly.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    CMV=CHROME MOLY VANADIUM
    CL=CHROME LINED
    most CL barrels are made of CMV
    Honestly nowadays if you can get a 416R steel barrel with nitride finish under or at $200 that would be the way to go

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    A cl cmv is the standard for your m4 type rifle. The steel comes in 4140 and 4150 with the latter being the better quality. Some of the match barrels will be cmv without the chrome lining.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Anybody have any experience with Criterion barrels? According to the web they are a cheaper button rifled version of a Krieger barrel that is still very good and is chrome lined.

Top Bottom