• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    Hey guys, I'm torn between the S&W M41 or something a little less expensive to help teach my wife and daughter good shooting techniques. So they are not intimidated by the gun and begin to learn good technique and skills that they can take with them to a lager caliber pistol. Any recommendations are appreciated.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    The S&W is nice, but pricey too! I honestly believe that the best bang for the buck goes to either a Ruger 2/45 or MKII/III or the Browning Buckmark!

I started with Rugers, but hated the breakdown-now I use the Browning Buckmark. Each have a ton of options-and the breakdown is much easier for me on the Browning. Plus if I want to swap barrels, no problem and no FFL needed.

Now they might not be "target" guns but they both have a great history...:D

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Any of the Ruger Mark series will fit the bill to a T. Reliable and easy to shoot. Not overly pricey either. The S&W 22A would be a good choice as well, but the grip might be a bit big for small hands.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Although some people dont like them, the Beretta Neos is a great little target pistol. I shoot CCI Mini Mags out of mine and is very accurate and reliable. I have an extremely cheap red dot scope on mine and at 50 yds the dot covers an 8" shoot n see target. I am still getting a 6" group at 50 yds with this set up. Granted a S&W 41 is top dog, but for a good starting pistol and inexpensive ($250) plinker, Ithink this would be worth your while!!!!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can say, nothing but good things about the Buckmark. It's deadly accurate. I'm not a fan of the Rugers. Plus the Buckmark is easier to field strip.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a model 41 and a browning buckmark. Love both of them. The 4 inch barrel buckmark micro would make an excellent training gun. It has a similar sight radius and grip angle when compared to many full size pistols.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I love my Ruger MKII's, and after shooting one of the Beretta Neos's I would put that one in the possibilties for your trainer also..

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1 for the Ruger Mk II series or the Browning. I don't think you can go wrong with either one...the Browning might be a little lighter weight.

Just a thought,

-Drew

slinkus25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Like others have said ruger or browning, roll the dice.
    I would stay away from the smith and wesson model 22, one of my coworkers just bought one and I really didn't care for it at all.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I might agree with the statement of staying away from the Smiths. But the model 41 is a different animal all together. A 41 is not a plinking gun and not something people just sort of buy on a whim. It is a serious piece of hardware and the quality and resulting price is quite high. For a trainer the Buckmarks or Ruger 22/45 is hard to beat. I suggest these two because the feel will be most similar to other pistols as the student progresses to centerfire.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The model 41 will NOT directly translate gun cost into shooting ability. Folks can learn proper techniques with a $25 BB pistol

Have 'em get their hands on several of the guns mentioned, and see what feels best to 'em.... THAT will translate into good shooting. If any gun doesn't "feel good" to 'em they won't like shooting it enough to become proficient with it.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The best .22 target pistols all cost like the Model 41, my favorite is the original High Standard Supermatic Trophy Military. he Buckmark is very good for a less expensive gun. I agree that you should avoid the S&W 422/622 series.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If you are looking to help teach wife/daughter, might I recommend a .22 top end for a gun you already have. They are available for a lot of common designs now and may come out cheaper and better suited than a whole new gun. I have a Ciener for my Glock which is a piece of **** and a Marvel for a 1911 that is amazing!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    To the OP, depending on location I would be happy to let you shoot my model 41 and a Buckmark. Sorry I do not have a Ruger. Ironically I learned to shoot pistol with a mkI. Just never liked how they broke down for cleaning. Decided the Browning worked better for me.

emayer7285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I got my start on an old Ruger Mark 1. I still enjoy shooting it to this day and moved on to shoot many other firearms and calibers. Any of the Mk series pistols are a good choice.

Top Bottom