• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i think this is a good place to put this but if it needs moved please do so.
    anyway i have sent in my letter to my local zoning office to get the proper permits to have a small gun shop at my house. its not a complicated process except i have one set of nieghbors who are coolaid drinkers and i know have already went to others trying to get them against me.

by them doing this im sure i will have to go to a board meeting to try and get this passed. so i am reaching out to ingo to get some topics i should include or maybe some references to show them. they have told others that i will be bringing crime and bad people into our part of town. and that all that stored ammunition could just blow up and kill everyone. any thoughts or advice? anyone been through this maybe?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Are you Zoned for an inhome businesss? Will more traffic be detrimental to your neighorhood? just a few things they might bring up at a Zoning Hearing. Have you started the Federal paperwork? Last but most important, Insurance. Your current H/O policy won't come clost to the liability coverage you need. Start checking Ins Co's now, someone who who has a home shop may chime in.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    havent started the federal paper work yet. what im looking for is more information to show the zoning that its not going to just blow up and kill everyone in a 100 mile radius like these people would have others believe. ive already looked into the rest such as insurace and all that. zoning seems to be the only issue and actually would not be if not for this one couple that want to make guns out to be evil.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Your best defense is Gun Shops that already exist in your area. Do some research and find atleast one that is the same situation as you and then find out their history. Start with "they are setup just like I intend to be and they have been in business for x amount of years and there have been x amount of incidents which include x and x. The place has never been blown up and there are federal laws that govern storage of gun powder."
    Be prepared with facts so when the neighbor claims they are 45ft from you, then you can tell the board exactly how many yards each one is from you. Get copies of the plat book for your area.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    haven't started the federal paper work yet. what i'm looking for is more information to show the zoning that its not going to just blow up and kill everyone in a 100 mile radius like these people would have others believe. i've already looked into the rest such as insurance and all that. zoning seems to be the only issue and actually would not be if not for this one couple that want to make guns out to be evil.

You're talking about explosions, but do you know that will placate your neighbors? In other words, have you talked to them?

A lot of time neighbors are worried about the traffic and extra headaches that come with a business. My dad experienced this with his non-firearm business.

As to blowing up - it's hard to prove a negative. I'd do my best to turn the onus on them - make them prove to the other neighbors that your business is a liability.

You can try to show the BATFE rules on storing firearms and things, or write a detailed storage plan that describes how you'll mitigate the risk of theft, fire, explosions, gunfire, etc. Basically, the more detailed plans you have, the more people will think you've got your act together and the more they'll trust you.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My guess is that if your home is in a residential zoning area, you will NOT get a variance to operate any kind of business there, gun shop or an ice cream shop.

You need to start out in a place that is already zoned for the type of business you want to operate, then you are not at the mercy of neighbors or gun-fearing zoning boards.

I live in a house but my property is zoned I-1. That's Light Industrial/Commercial. But I cannot operate a RETAIL business here because the zoning district here requires at least 5 acres for a retail business. I could operate a wholesale or manufacturing business as long as any buildings or operations were compliant with the other zoning provisions.

My thought is that you're not going to get the local zoning approved for your business which means the BATFE is not going to grant your FFL.

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    speak as one thAT WENT THROUGH THIS 20 YRS AGO. THEY WILL BE A VARIENCE BUT DO NOT GET ZONED COMMERCIAL. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GET A LAWYER TO GO TO BOARED METTING OR TOWNSHIP.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    we will not be zoneing any different. it will be a home occupation permit and i was told that mine is the first one in 4 years to be complained about and it is simply because its guns. has nothing to do with running a business. this one couple just have the opinion that all guns are evil no matter how you look at it.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Your best defense is Gun Shops that already exist in your area. Do some research and find atleast one that is the same situation as you and then find out their history. Start with "they are setup just like I intend to be and they have been in business for x amount of years and there have been x amount of incidents which include x and x. The place has never been blown up and there are federal laws that govern storage of gun powder."
    Be prepared with facts so when the neighbor claims they are 45ft from you, then you can tell the board exactly how many yards each one is from you. Get copies of the plat book for your area.

thank you for your comment. i this is exactly what i will begin with. then move on to some other facts. pretty sure i have what i need. thanks

ksick26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I applied, had my meeting with ATF agent and am currently waiting to hear back from him. Should not be too long. Very nice people to deal with. Zoning on the other hand has been a hassle. I attached my FFL to my gunsmithing business.

Top Bottom