• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We have a local ordinance that prevents an otherwise legal carrier from taking a firearm into the courthouse. Because I am often at various board meetings because of my job this morning's footage of the school board shooting in Florida really bothered me. I put together the following e-mail and sent it to the county commissioners and some other officials in hopes of inspiring a change:

If you guys haven't caught it on the morning news you might want to take a look at the video of the school board shooting in Florida.

Rambling gunman dead after opening fire at Florida school meeting - CNN.com

You may want to re-think your ordinance that prevents us from arming ourselves when we go to the courthouse for meetings. The sign downstairs won't prevent a criminal from bringing a gun to a commissioner's meeting but because I obey the law your ordinance with its threat of a $500 fine and jail for contempt of court forces me to disarm myself in spite of what the constitution says.

Indiana Code ./const/art1.html-./const/art1.html-./const/art1.html
    Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I come to the courthouse as part of my job, it would be nice if I were allowed to defend myself and others while I am there.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We have a local ordinance that prevents an otherwise legal carrier from taking a firearm into the courthouse. Because I am often at various board meetings because of my job this morning's footage of the school board shooting in Florida really bothered me. I put together the following e-mail and sent it to the county commissioners and some other officials in hopes of inspiring a change:

If you'll permit a momentary hijack, the other lesson I got from that video is that the time to fight is at the very beginning of the attack. Force events to follow your game plan rather than the BG's.

I've tried to get that through my wife's head. At the first sign of any attack, resist by running or attacking or whatever. Don't wait and hope, it just puts yourself at the mercy of the attacker.

Also, action is so much faster than reaction.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I noticed the signs at the courthouse a few weeks ago. The cops running the metal detectors sarcastically mentioned how that would defiantly stop the criminals.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm not trying to be rude here, but I doubt they'll enact policy based on a non formal letter. Good to point it out though, I suppose, best of luck.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Based on a suggestion by someone one here that I really respect, I waited for 6 months before posting in this thread again. On May 2nd, 2011, the County Commissioners in Vermillion County amended their county ordinance to allow those with a LTCH to carry concealed inside the courthouse. As far as I know it is the only county to allow its citizens to exercise this right.

Six months have now gone by. No one has been shot inside the courthouse. There hasn't been a negligent discharge. Blood is not running down the hallways. Citizens are exercising their right to bear arms and nothing bad has happened.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Based on a suggestion by someone one here that I really respect, I waited for 6 months before posting in this thread again. On May 2nd, 2011, the County Commissioners in Vermillion County amended their county ordinance to allow those with a LTCH to carry concealed inside the courthouse. As far as I know it is the only county to allow its citizens to exercise this right.

Six months have now gone by. No one has been shot inside the courthouse. There hasn't been a negligent discharge. Blood is not running down the hallways. Citizens are exercising their right to bear arms and nothing bad has happened.
    Amazing! No mass chaos or wild west shootouts have happened? ;)

Props for getting it going and to the politicians that listened to facts and logic instead of propaganda.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Amazing! No mass chaos or wild west shootouts have happened? ;)

Props for getting it going and to the politicians that listened to facts and logic instead of propaganda.

A thing to donsider is that we got this done with 3 Democrat County Commissioners, so don't tell me that it will never happen in your county. We need to get similar efforts rolling in the other 91 Counties.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Amazing

Congratulations! Vermillion County elected officials must have at least a semblance of common sense. I can't begin to imagine that happening in Marion County or any other county with a large city/town.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, yes. I meant to begin the process. To whom do we need to start writing letters to begin the process of writing (and passing!) this new ordinance? County Council? Commissioners? ???

Also, I know that Judge Daniel is a Democrat... by some chance, do you know if he's a pro-2A Democrat, or at a minimum, if he is a man willing to see that the present law only excludes those of us who obey laws, a la Cesare Beccaria?

You work in that area and are far more familiar with people, personalities, and political positions than I am. Your input would be appreciated.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom