Trying to talk my son into adding a 10/22 to his collection.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What is so special about the Ruger 10/22?

Maybe the fact that you can spend five times what you paid for the base rifle on customizing it. Maybe because you can customize it with your favorite stock, giving it a one of a kind look. Maybe because there are many different barrel styles and looks. Maybe because you can customize it to the point that you don't want to change it, so you buy another to customize it in another direction?

Or that regardless as to the caliber it shoots, it is just such a fun shooter that with a nice scope on the base model you can have a field day hitting steel targets at 100 yards!
    Pretty much.

It is highly reliable, but out the box, the trigger is crap.

In that price range is the Remington offerings, which I've found to be highly unreliable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Pretty much.

In that price range is the Remington offerings, which I've found to be highly unreliable.
    And Savage

Maybe the fact that you can spend five times what you paid for the base rifle on customizing it.
    If you have to spend that much to make the rifle you want out of the rifle you have, why not just buy the rifle you want in the first place?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And Savage
    Yeah, my Savage 64 can be a bit finicky if it's not oiled properly.
    And, I'm stuck with 10 round mags on it.

If you have to spend that much to make the rifle you want out of the rifle you have, why not just buy the rifle you want in the first place?
    In my case, an M1 carbine is quite a bit more coin to buy and feed.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Pretty much.

Yep the factory Trigger is horrible. I had my gunsmith do a trigger job on it. It cost me $20 and its around 4.5lb now. Much better than the factory trigger. I just recently replaced the extractor with a fancy titanium one. I'm hoping it last longer than factory extractor.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Lots of good recommendations. I'm a big fan of all 10/22 variants. Next on my list for 22s is a M&P 15-22 Pistol. It is AWESOME. Super light, AR controls, really cool little package.

A little higher $$ around $500, but it's very solid package. Recently released, but I've seen quite a few out there.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lots of good recommendations. I'm a big fan of all 10/22 variants. Next on my list for 22s is a M&P 15-22 Pistol. It is AWESOME. Super light, AR controls, really cool little package.

A little higher $$ around $500, but it's very solid package. Recently released, but I've seen quite a few out there.
    Oh I like that. I may get him one of those. Or get me one lol.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    What is so special about the Ruger 10/22?

Maybe the fact that you can spend five times what you paid for the base rifle on customizing it. Maybe because you can customize it with your favorite stock, giving it a one of a kind look. Maybe because there are many different barrel styles and looks. Maybe because you can customize it to the point that you don't want to change it, so you buy another to customize it in another direction?

Or that regardless as to the caliber it shoots, it is just such a fun shooter that with a nice scope on the base model you can have a field day hitting steel targets at 100 yards!
    Yes. Also the ammo is cheap. You can have hours of fun with $20 when your shooting .22

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    And Savage

I don't always know what I want. But I know what I have and with a bit of tinkering I tend to figure out what I want.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

I'd also recommend the Tippmann 22 AR pistol. It will be more accurate than the MP15-22. Either would be fun though.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Edit: Unsurprisingly, these are out of stock now.

Who wouldn't want one of these? Not easy to get right now, but in stock here. Yes, WAY too much $, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush right now. I already ordered one. Throw a Franklin Armory binary trigger in it and I don't know how you could have more fun with your clothes on:

22 Charger Lite 22 LR (kygunco.com)

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Spending 5x the cost of the rifle is more than tinkering.
    Not trying to pick a fight, but who are you to decide what tinkering is and is not?

This brings to mind two quotes.

One frequently heard on Bob & Tom show ... "You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, no matter how wrong or stupid it might be".

The second is from Evelyn Beatrice Hall noting a Voltairean principle ... “I wholly disagree with what you say - and will contend to the death for your right to say it".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not trying to pick a fight, but who are you to decide what tinkering is and is not?

This brings to mind two quotes.

One frequently heard on Bob & Tom show ... "You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, no matter how wrong or stupid it might be".

The second is from Evelyn Beatrice Hall noting a Voltairean principle ... “I wholly disagree with what you say - and will contend to the death for your right to say it".
    Wow, didn't see anyone getting that touchy about that.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago (the 80's) I bought my first 10/22 at a Kmart in Clovis N.M. One day some friends and I went to go shooting, so, stopped at the same Kmart and bought a brick of .22's and off we went. At the target range I got out the box, and realized that I had bought a brick of .22 Longs, not Long rifle....We loaded the mags 1 10rd, and 1 25 round, and away we went..Had nary a hickup, or misfeed. I was sold on that gun! It was the first of many I have bought, sold, or traded over the years. My son's first .22 semi was a 10/22, we both have one now, and have shot 2 Appleseeds with them....

Top Bottom