• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nagantoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Newburgh
    Legally flying with a gun is no big deal; just a minor additional effort and a little more time while you wait for TSA to inspect it.
    I fly with firearms when I want/need to but there are risks you might not immediately think of. It has happened, for instance, that either a connection has been canceled, or a plane has had to make an unexpected landing in a gun-unfriendly state for an overnight visit, and pax have been given back their checked bags to take to a hotel for the night. Soon as they collect their CAGPT item, local police swoop for unlawful possession.

Read a couple of stories about that happening in NYS (with handguns), at minimum.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I fly with firearms when I want/need to but there are risks you might not immediately think of. It has happened, for instance, that either a connection has been canceled, or a plane has had to make an unexpected landing in a gun-unfriendly state for an overnight visit, and pax have been given back their checked bags to take to a hotel for the night. Soon as they collect their CAGPT item, local police swoop for unlawful possession.

Read a couple of stories about that happening in NYS (with handguns), at minimum.

I'm well aware of what's happened on several occasions in New York City & Newark airports. But nowhere else that I've ever seen. Often though in an unexpected layover, the airline keeps your luggage and checks it through to your end destination. I've had flight diversions and unexpected unscheduled overnight layovers before; never saw my luggage until my final destination.

The "I might get diverted to New York City and the airline will give me my checked luggage" is such a remote possibility, it's not really worth worrying about. In that extremely unlikely event, you'd have to find a way to ship your firearm, since the problem would only surface when you checked in the next day to your new flight.

Top Bottom