• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    More than a few weeks ago, I had to catch a flight at oh dark hundred on a Monday morning. I had a meeting at noon and a dinner with clients that evening, so I was suited up. But the return trip the next day was jeans and a golf shirt. I packed my carry on Sunday night at the last minute and just threw the jeans I'd worn that day in the bag. Fast forward to 5 am and the TSA guy grabs my carry-on and says, "We need to search your bag for weapons". It didn't register with me until he pulled out my knife...a cheap little barlow pocketknife that my late grand dad gave me when I was 7. My heart sank.

I ended up mailing it back to myself for $12, but I've been worried about losing it and never seeing it again. It came today. I'm even happier than I was when I found it the other time I lost it.

It's all beat to hell from me losing it in the barn when I was bedding hogs one winter (I was 12) and then finding it again 7 years later when I was home from school. It was caked in crap and rust. I cleaned it up as best I could and have carried it nearly every day for the last 24 years. The only time I haven't had it in my pocket is when I have to fly, except that one time.

IMAG0187.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    More than a few weeks ago, I had to catch a flight at oh dark hundred on a Monday morning. I had a meeting at noon and a dinner with clients that evening, so I was suited up. But the return trip the next day was jeans and a golf shirt. I packed my carry on Sunday night at the last minute and just threw the jeans I'd worn that day in the bag. Fast forward to 5 am and the TSA guy grabs my carry-on and says, "We need to search your bag for weapons". It didn't register with me until he pulled out my knife...a cheap little barlow pocketknife that my late grand dad gave me when I was 7. My heart sank.

I ended up mailing it back to myself for $12, but I've been worried about losing it and never seeing it again. It came today. I'm even happier than I was when I found it the other time I lost it.

It's all beat to hell from me losing it in the barn when I was bedding hogs one winter (I was 12) and then finding it again 7 years later when I was home from school. It was caked in crap and rust. I cleaned it up as best I could and have carried it nearly every day for the last 24 years. The only time I haven't had it in my pocket is when I have to fly, except that one time.

IMAG0187.jpg

With that knife coming from family and all of the memories you have had with it....makes it Priceless! Glad you got it back. :yesway:
    I just love the old traditional slip joint knives.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    It's great to hear that you were able to get it back. I honestly didn't think they would let you mail it to yourself.
    Thank you for sharing!:patriot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I lived in South Dakota the regional airport actually had a box at the security checkpoint. People left their knives in the box and picked them up when they returned. Apparently people forgetting about their pocket knives was a common occurance.

Glad to see you got yours back.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I was happy to get it back. After finding it the first time, I told myself how lucky I was. The last time I visited my grandpa in the hospital that he was able to respond, I pulled it out of my pocket and handed it to him. He just smiled and said, "When you learn how to take care of this one, I'll get you a nice one." That's the first thing that ran through my mind when they pulled it out of the bag. I thought, "Looks like I won't get a nice one."

It's great to hear that you were able to get it back. I honestly didn't think they would let you mail it to yourself.
    Thank you for sharing!:patriot:

I didn't know either. The TSA agent was pretty cool about it. You just fill out a form, similar to a UPS or fedex airbill, seal it in a clear plastic bag and then TSA leaves security (holding it up for you to see the whole time) and drops it in a collection point. It came in the mail in a padded envelope.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm glad to hear you got it back! I got one just like that from my grandpa as well. I still have mine to this day too. I wouldn't get rid of that knife for the world. I may use others for daily use, but that one will always have a place in my life.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

IMAG0187.jpg

I've had to mail mine back to me twice. Funny it was Indy...i live in Indy. One time delivery took 6 weeks. The other time it took two weeks. :dunno:

Top Bottom