• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Would that include box cutters? Ohh, the irony...

Indeed, but I will point out that it was not really the box cutters that enabled the 9/11 hijackers to succeed. It was their knowledge of airline protocol for handling a situation like they created. On 9/11/2001 the protocol was COMPLY with the demands and let the experts handle the negotiations on the ground.

In their infinite wisdom they did not consider terrorists who wanted to turn planes into weapons and were intending to die in the process. Note "intending" not "willing" to die. Big difference. The govt. and the airlines were caught off-guard and that is what allowed 3 of the 4 planes to hit their targets.

Had the 4th plane been on-schedule, it would have succeeded as well. But the people on the plane, once they understood what these hijackers intended, overpowered them and, unfortunately, the plane crashed in the process.

But how many people can a man with a box cutter hold off? Yes, you can be injured with a box cutter, but it takes some time and work to kill with one. What would happen today if someone pulled a box cutter and tried to hijack a plane?

So the real weakness that Mohammed Atta and his friends exploited what PROTOCOL. They knew EXACTLY what the flight crews would do and took advantage of that.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So the real weakness that Mohammed Atta and his friends exploited what PROTOCOL. They knew EXACTLY what the flight crews would do and took advantage of that.

Of course they knew, they went to our airline school here in the states

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    In the February after 9/11, I flew to Vegas with this in my pocket...

IMAG0216_zps0a54556f.jpg

I was then prohibited from entering Hoover Dam with it.

Nobody ever said security rules had to make sense.:dunno:

You could carry a better defensive weapon by sharpening a toothbrush handle than any knife TSA is gonna let you on a plane with. Pool cues and hockey stocks are also on the ok'd list.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    There will be an incident in which a group of terrorists will board a plane with "legal" knives. They will then wreack havoc upon the unfortunate passengers. They'll do it for the shock factor.

When the plane lands, they'll need mops and buckets to swab up the blood. A small knife can still open arteries. In the time it would take to land the plane people could bleed out.

My common sense tells me this is a bad idea.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    There will be an incident in which a group of terrorists will board a plane with "legal" knives. They will then wreack havoc upon the unfortunate passengers. They'll do it for the shock factor.

When the plane lands, they'll need mops and buckets to swab up the blood. A small knife can still open arteries. In the time it would take to land the plane people could bleed out.

The blood that will be mopped up will be that of the would-be terrorists. As long as there are still folks around that remember 9/11, that plan won't work again.

As I mentioned earlier, the 9/11 hijackers knew and used the standard airline protocol to "hack the system" and accomplish their evil intent. But I certainly hope that there is a different protocol in place now. My guess is that it's intended to keep the flight crew in control of the aircraft no matter what. Even if it means crashing the plane. As we saw with Flight 93, a hijacked plane crashed into an empty field, as tragic as that is, is nothing compared to crashing into a skyscraper. I hope the new protocols are designed to prevent that from ever happening again no matter what weapons someone might get onto an aircraft.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just saw a story about it. Why are people so scared of tools that double as defensive weapons? A flight attendant said "All it will take is one argument and someone will pull out a knife and stab another." Seriously? Isn't that the main argument against firearms as well? Seriously, get a new fear.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

^ This is a great example of how fear mongering has been used to against us, to strip us of our basic rights and liberties, as long as it is done in a manner to make us feel safer. TSA is nothing more than security theater, and much like anything Federal, its grown bloated and out of control. Flying used to be a luxury. Now we stand in long lines, barefoot, with our personal effects in a plastic tub like inmates, while we wait to have nude scans taken and pat down. We should be happy any time the Fed takes a step back, and gives us back some of the freedom that has been stripped from us :patriot:.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    ^ This is a great example of how fear mongering has been used to against us, to strip us of our basic rights and liberties, as long as it is done in a manner to make us feel safer. TSA is nothing more than security theater, and much like anything Federal, its grown bloated and out of control. Flying used to be a luxury. Now we stand in long lines, barefoot, with our personal effects in a plastic tub like inmates, while we wait to have nude scans taken and pat down. We should be happy any time the Fed takes a step back, and gives us back some of the freedom that has been stripped from us :patriot:.

Brilliantly said.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Emerson Knives is planning on making a TSA compliant knife now. I am excited since he's such a great guy and his knives are second to none! His new model he is proposing is called the "hummingbird". I just hope that it is relatively "inexpensive".

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My work involves a lot of travel, every other week, sometimes even more. The worse part is getting to a new city without a knife (of course all kinds of laws about that as well).

If they allow the ESEE Candiru, I am getting one.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

As I've seen pointed out before, the shelf life for using a box cutter or small knife to hijack a plane didn't even make it past the morning on 9/11. Flight 93.

Do people really think that if 2-3 bad guy step up with 2.3 inch blades there won't be two dozen plus passengers all over them in a heartbeat?

2.3 inches is too small, make it larger, at least large enough for me to stop unloading my leatherman every time I have to fly.

Top Bottom