TSA took my buddy's charging handle. What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    One of my friends just left last night to go home on leave. A couple weeks ago we went around to a few gunshops and we both picked up a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I woke up this morning and had a text message from saying TSA took it from him at security and that he almost got arrested for it. I asked for more details but he hasnt got back with me yet. Is having just a part like that really a security risk? Im wondering because Im going home in a month and I dont know if imm going to have to mail mine home or not. Ive flown before with quad rails, red dot, flip up sight, and vert grips all in the same carry on bag and nothing was said. Has something changed?

Ill update when I find out more.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One of my friends just left last night to go home on leave. A couple weeks ago we went around to a few gunshops and we both picked up a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I woke up this morning and had a text message from saying TSA took it from him at security and that he almost got arrested for it. I asked for more details but he hasnt got back with me yet. Is having just a part like that really a security risk? Im wondering because Im going home in a month and I dont know if imm going to have to mail mine home or not. Ive flown before with quad rails, red dot, flip up sight, and vert grips all in the same carry on bag and nothing was said. Has something changed?

Ill update when I find out more.

To be safe, mail it or put it in your checked luggage. Yes, they're apparently allowed to be THAT picky.

[noparse]http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm[/noparse]

Blessings,
    Bill

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's always a surprise with the TSA, they can decide to steal anything from you if they decide that it's a "dangerous item".

If you try to stop them from stealing your stuff they can arrest you for terrorism and for being a threat to the national security.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    That's always a surprise with the TSA, they can decide to steal anything from you if they decide that it's a "dangerous item".

If you try to stop them from stealing your stuff they can arrest you for terrorism and for being a threat to the national security.

Knowing my friend and how he is, Im sure he tried arguing with them. Could explain the almost arrested part. I cant wait to hear the whole story.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    OK, so whats the difference between guns and firearms? With the exception of my DIs definition, I always assumed they were one and the same.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I guess theoretically, several different people could all bring parts of a "gun or firearm" and put it together in the lavatory and have a complete "gun or firearm"

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Why doesn't the TSA start working with Fedex to quickly pay and ship items that would otherwise be thrown away? I mean, jeesh, it would cost abkut $2 to ship that charging handle in an envelope. There's no reason to force people to throw so much good stuff away every day. I bet the TSA officers get their pick of the " loot" at the end of each week.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I bet the TSA officers get their pick of the " loot" at the end of each week.

Yep thats what they do. I bet they raffle it .

1 donut here no 5 there

SOLD to the man in the back with 1 dozen DONUTS this fine pice of metal with a latch on it!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Why doesn't the TSA start working with Fedex to quickly pay and ship items that would otherwise be thrown away? I mean, jeesh, it would cost abkut $2 to ship that charging handle in an envelope. There's no reason to force people to throw so much good stuff away every day. I bet the TSA officers get their pick of the " loot" at the end of each week.

Some airports (and IIRC, IND is one of them) have a mailbox at the security area for just that purpose. Personally, when I'm traveling, if I have to go by air for some reason, I make sure my computer is in its bag and that I have a full book of stamps and a couple of big envelopes with me.I usually bring a couple of return-address labels as well. If they suddenly decide that something I have can't go on the plane, I'd stick whatever it is in an envelope, drop it in the mail, and continue about my business. No muss, no fuss, and no theft of my belongings. The easier method is simply to not travel by air, which is my default setting.

Blessings,
    Bill

jerry46765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Hancock County
    I go through the airport at least once a week, and see some crazy stuff. This may be a dumb question, but why would you think it would be ok to carry gun parts on a commerical aircraft? And if you did it in the past, and got away with it, consider yourself damn lucky.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I go through the airport at least once a week, and see some crazy stuff. This may be a dumb question, but why would you think it would be ok to carry gun parts on a commerical aircraft? And if you did it in the past, and got away with it, consider yourself damn lucky.

Umm.. because its a CHARGING HANDLE! Its less of a weapon than the pen I can keep in my pocket. I can do more damage with my key chain than I could with that charging handle. Its stupid. And I dont consider myself lucky, I consider them smart for realizing there is no threat from any of those objects.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Why not? I suppose I could see the arguement that people might sneak the parts through security and reassemble a gun. Actually all that is needed to prevent this would be to not allow the serial numbered parts or frames through security. Hard to put together a working gun without the frame and trigger. What the OP was talking about here was a charging handle. A gun part yes, but a part that 90% of people would not recognize as being part of a rifle.

Last time I flew I walked right through security and customs with a metal bodied pen, surefire flashlight, 20 oz stainless water bottle filled with paracord, batteries, lighter and candle. These items did not get a second look.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    This is why I haven't flown in over 15 years. I would rather endure a torturous, cramped, and smelly road trip for endless hours than subject myself to being groped, humilated, and robbed by some government hack.

If I ever fly again, it will be out of pure and absolute necessity.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    This is why I haven't flown in over 15 years. I would rather endure a torturous, cramped, and smelly road trip for endless hours than subject myself to being groped, humilated, and robbed by some government hack.

If I ever fly again, it will be out of pure and absolute necessity.

You make a good point. Anybody wanna take a boat trip to Hawaii in July, and bring back a fellow INGOer?:D

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    TSA are very unpredictable IMO. I went to training in SC a few years back with one of my fellow officers. We checked in four long guns and three handguns. As soon as we cleared check in and went into the staging area (with about 200 others) we were approached by four TSA types. They took us both in another room and gave us the ultimate check out. Whatever makes them feel better I guess. I really think TSA people don't like cops and like to hassle them when they can. No biggie just the way it is.

I had a zippo lighter in my Pelican case with my handguns. Leaving Indy it was fine being in there. Leaving SC it was not. I had to mail it home to myself!

Top Bottom