• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This will be my review of the above named class held December 3-4,2011 in Prescott, AZ. I was a participant in the class to some degree but mostly a coach for the students. For those who don't know (most of you?), this was a class on how to use the Red Dot sighting system on a pistol, not as a competition gun, but an everyday carry gun. This was a free class for anyone who had purchased a TSD Glock from Suarez International/TSD Combat Systems. http://tsdcombatsystems.com/
    tsd-rmr-silver-glock.jpg

The guns in use by the students were mostly Glocks, with one S&W M&P (used by SI Staff Instructor Dave Sauer). Calibers were mostly in 9mm, with I think one .40, one .45, and one .357 Sig. I was shooting my G19 with the Trijicon RMR installed by TSD on the stock slide. I was using Blazer 115 grain FMJ's for ammo. I only shot about 200 rds, methinks the students shot around 500.

The Range.

The range was about 30 minutes south of Prescott, AZ at about 5000 ft elavation, surrounded by mountains. It would have been a fun drive through the sharp switchbacks and elavation changes up to 6,000 feet if the weather would have ben better. As it was with temps in the low 30's with snow, freezing rain, and fog, things were challenging to say the least. One subrange was set up with paper/carboard targets out to about 25 yds. The other had 5 man size steel targets with max range out to about 100 yds along with a small approx 11" x 14" steel "head" height. Behind these stood a small jutting "mountain" with a 2 foot round steel gong near the top lasering out to about 230 yards. It was invisible on day one due to the weather conditions. Sometimes the mountain itself couldn't be seen.

Day One.

The day started, of course, with a safety briefing, introductions and an overview of the class. If I was counting right, there were 10 students, and 11 Instructors, plus Gabe. Gabe Suarez acted as chief Instructor, with the rest of us teaching portions and coaching one on one with the students. All of the students had experience shooting, but the level varied greatly. We started with the fundamentals of marksmanship. After most were putting 5 rounds into one hole at 5yds we went on to other basic skill sets, such as the draw, with special attention paid on how to pick up the dot quickly.

Some drills were run working multiple strings of fire and body to head transitions. This led to a block of shooting on the move. After enough dry work to make sure everyone was comfortable we moved from left to right across the ten targets while moving and shooting (and sometimes reloading). After this it was right to left. We then broke down into 5 man relays and worked on getting off the X while shooting the target to the ground.

Due to the rough weather moving in, we had to cut day one a little short. Everyone made it back to town okay but not without some drama here and there as accidents were everywhere. Things quited down later and most made it to group dinner. Fun was had by all with, as you can imagine, lots of stories told.

Day 2.

Day 2 broke clear and cold. 15 degrees worth of cold. I was thrilled to find a large crack in the windshield of my rented Jeep Wrangler.:rolleyes:

Once at the range, there was a safety reminder and then a quick warmup and review on the paper targets. From there it was over to the steel. We started at about 35 yards to get comfortable and then moved back to 50. Some dialing in of the red dots was needed at this time. Most had made some adjustments the day before at 10 yards, and although all was good at that range, once back at 50some needed a few more clicks. It didn't take long and everyone was banging the steel at 50. Time for lunch.

After lunch, Roger Philips taught a mini Point Shooting Progressions course. There is a little difference point shooting using the RMR, but in the end the adjustments are minor. We shot from different positions in the draw stroke from near full extension at about chin level, to compressed ready with the gun in close for retention. One handed shooting was not overlooked, nor was everyones favorite, the zipper.

Back to the steel. We started at about the 75 yard line. Like with small targets up close, shooting at this distance requires a good mastery of the basics, most importantly, trigger press. The dot can make accurate shooting easier, but it must be accompanied by a good trigger press. Once most were making the majority of their shots with a little coaching at 75, we moved back to 100. This, of course, became a little difficult for some from offhand, but all were getting at least 50% hits and many 80-100%. Some who had never shot at this diatance before, were calling it easy.

Some alternate positions were worked to include kneeling, prone, and creedmore. For those who felt not enough challenge, there was the 1/3 size IPSC. After hitting this 3/3 at 100 from offhand I decided to quit while I was looking good.;) Well quit except for giving the gong on the mountain a go. This was proving to be a tough one for most, as the ground was damp making it hard to see where your misses hit.

It was time to go, but many almost had to be forced off of the range as they were having so much fun on the steel.

Conclusion.

Something I hadn't mentioned. Most in this class were of the mature persuassion, that is over 40 on up to the close to 80 year old mark. The help the Red Dot gives to aging eyes can not be emphasized enough. Many had said they had not shot this well in 20 or more years, with of course some never shooting this well before. No skill can not be bought, we all know this, but if you already own the skill, an RMR on your pistol can definitely make you hit better and easier. Just like with the rifle, it is a game changer. Big props to all of the students who braved very challenging conditions and performed well.

I know, I know. Pictures, when they become available, I will post some.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Very cool! Surprised to hear about such bad weather in AZ. Brrrrr.....

Ya, I guess thats what you get in the high country. It really stinks that Sunday morning my rental Jeep showed a big crack in the windshield. Not sure how it got there, but the cold plus rough terrain could be the culprit since I saw no chip.:dunno:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Ya, I guess thats what you get in the high country. It really stinks that Sunday morning my rental Jeep showed a big crack in the windshield. Not sure how it got there, but the cold plus rough terrain could be the culprit since I saw no chip.:dunno:

I cracked my old Xterra windshield from a combination of cold and driving down a rough road at a shooting range. I'm certain that no rocks hit it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Coach, it depends. There are a few different models. The one I use is always on and the batteries in those typically will last 1-2 yrs. There is also an adjustable model with on/off, and a dual illumination model using fiber optic and tritium.

RM07_additional_thumb.jpg
    RM03_45web11.jpg
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/trijiconrmrdualilluminatedsightamberdot.aspx
    [URL="http://www.onesourcetactical.com/trijicon-rmr-rm07-led-moa65-red-dot.aspx"]http://www.onesourcetactical.com/trijicon-rmr-rm07-led-moa65-red-dot.aspx[/URL]

Which one are you using, or a better question, which one do you recommend?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Which one are you using, or a better question, which one do you recommend?

Craig, I am using the always on 8 moa led version. The newer one is a 6.5 moa adjustable version with on/off button. I would recommend either of these over the Dual Illuminated version. There is nothing wrong with that unit, but it does have some drawbacks. Most people who go with the DI do so because it doesn't use batteries. I say, so what. If you are going to be using the gun in America or somewhere that batteries are readily available, does it really matter? Change them once a year on your birthday and you are gtg. Now if duty or adventure calls you off to some third world country where batteries are as scarce as hens teeth, then that is a different story.

IMHO the LED version is better under extremes of lighting conditions. The DI version when in a dark area looking out into the light can be hard to see. It may also be tough to pick up the amber dot in a very bright enviroment. We sell way more of the LED version. It does appear for people with certain astigmatism, for whatever reason, they get less starburst out of the dual iluminated version.

Top Bottom