• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Im looking into finally getting my first tumbler and was wondering what you guys have and what works for you. I am currently on a budget at the moment. Right now im looking into the Frankford Arsenal Kit that comes with the tumbler, seperator, media, and polish. Itll cost about $80 shipped but thats the best ive came around. Is there anywhere local in Indy that sells something comparable in quality and price?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Im looking into finally getting my first tumbler and was wondering what you guys have and what works for you. I am currently on a budget at the moment. Right now im looking into the Frankford Arsenal Kit that comes with the tumbler, seperator, media, and polish. Itll cost about $80 shipped but thats the best ive came around. Is there anywhere local in Indy that sells something comparable in quality and price?

Since you're in Indy, try harbor freight, they've got good prices on tumblers.

i use a Lyman 2500, works really well, I paid 60 for it and 15 for the media. I use treated walnut.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Any of the vibratory "tumblers" will work. Some will just last longer.
    Order 40 lbs of 20/40 corn from:
    Econoline 526040G-40 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit
    the price is good and they have free shipping.
    I like the RCBS separator and the Frankford one looks good, too.
    I like to deprime first. 20/40 grit is small enough not to pack in the primer pocket. With a progressive and case feeders, I do my inspection during case sorting and depriming.
    30 minutes is all you need.
    Put a used anti-static or fabric-softening sheet in the tumbler to pick up dirt and powder--paper towels will also work.
    You can spend lots of time and money on getting brass "clean," but all you need to do is wipe off any grit from the case exterior.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    You might call down to the outdoorsman to see if they have the Frankford Arsenal in stock. They usually have a good amount of the FA stuff in stock (reloading trays, media, etc).

I actually bought the FA kit you're talking about from Midway last year and it's worked out great. I've probably tumbled around 6,000 cases of 9mm and 45ACP through it with no issues.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's a good tumbler, I use it myself. The media and polish is not worth a damn though. I switched to the treated Lyman media, and like it much better.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Any of the vibratory "tumblers" will work. Some will just last longer.
    Order 40 lbs of 20/40 corn from:
    Econoline 526040G-40 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit
    the price is good and they have free shipping.
    I like the RCBS separator and the Frankford one looks good, too.
    I like to deprime first. 20/40 grit is small enough not to pack in the primer pocket. With a progressive and case feeders, I do my inspection during case sorting and depriming.
    30 minutes is all you need.
    Put a used anti-static or fabric-softening sheet in the tumbler to pick up dirt and powder--paper towels will also work.
    You can spend lots of time and money on getting brass "clean," but all you need to do is wipe off any grit from the case exterior.

That is a **** ton of media lol. I live in a tiny apartment and itd be weird having that sitting in my room. That is a good price on that stuff though. Why do you deprime first? I always thought people tumbled to keep their dies clean and to have good looking ammo obviously.

You might call down to the outdoorsman to see if they have the Frankford Arsenal in stock. They usually have a good amount of the FA stuff in stock (reloading trays, media, etc).

I actually bought the FA kit you're talking about from Midway last year and it's worked out great. I've probably tumbled around 6,000 cases of 9mm and 45ACP through it with no issues.

Ill have to check that shop out. I will probably give them a call this afternoon actually. From the recent reviews Ive seen the tumbler looks like its able to hold up to just about anything. All im gonna do is run my 223 and 9mm though it.

It's a good tumbler, I use it myself. The media and polish is not worth a damn though. I switched to the treated Lyman media, and like it much better.

Yea thats what Ive heard. Ill probably just try lizard bedding and some polish.

Since you're in Indy, try harbor freight, they've got good prices on tumblers.

i use a Lyman 2500, works really well, I paid 60 for it and 15 for the media. I use treated walnut.

I know Harbor Freight has a good sized tumbler for around $50 and probably cheaper with a coupon I get every now and again. But how well do they work? Im just worried about warranty and stuff because Ive never seen a review on them.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I went online and looked at the reviews of the Harbor Freight tumblers and they were all horrible. Therefore I didn't waste my money. If you end up with one and it works, good for you.

I use a Lyman Turbo Pro 1200. I got it on sale from Midway along with some Lyman treated walnut media and Flitz polish. It's not huge, but it does more than I would want to do at one time anyways. The walnut media leaves a lot of dust and each case needs wiped off afterwards. Personally I hate the red residue it leaves behind but I love how clean my brass is afterwards. Even tarnished brass comes out clean.

Hornady makes a 2-liter ultra sonic for around $100 on sale from Grafs right now. I've thought about getting it to see how it does, but with already having a tumbler I think it'd be a waste of money so it might be something to look into. :)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have the same Frankford Arsenal Kit. Im very happy with it functions perfectly, Ive had it for about 7months now with no problems. But as US Patriot said I also use the treated Lyman media. Brass is nice and clean.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I went online and looked at the reviews of the Harbor Freight tumblers and they were all horrible. Therefore I didn't waste my money. If you end up with one and it works, good for you.

I use a Lyman Turbo Pro 1200. I got it on sale from Midway along with some Lyman treated walnut media and Flitz polish. It's not huge, but it does more than I would want to do at one time anyways. The walnut media leaves a lot of dust and each case needs wiped off afterwards. Personally I hate the red residue it leaves behind but I love how clean my brass is afterwards. Even tarnished brass comes out clean.

Hornady makes a 2-liter ultra sonic for around $100 on sale from Grafs right now. I've thought about getting it to see how it does, but with already having a tumbler I think it'd be a waste of money so it might be something to look into. :)

Yea after reading reviews Im definetly staying away from Harbor Freight tumblers. I saw the Hornady sonic cleaner but I heard the capacity is nothing to be desired.

I have the same Frankford Arsenal Kit. Im very happy with it functions perfectly, Ive had it for about 7months now with no problems. But as US Patriot said I also use the treated Lyman media. Brass is nice and clean.

What kind of treated media are you guys using? Midways has treated walnut and treated corn. Do you guys also mix in polish with the treated stuff? What makes the treated so special?

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I use a dillon tumbler and corncob media I get my media at the gun show then I just ad a little bit of brasso to the media but u can use any viberrating tumbler

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yea after reading reviews Im definetly staying away from Harbor Freight tumblers. I saw the Hornady sonic cleaner but I heard the capacity is nothing to be desired.

What kind of treated media are you guys using? Midways has treated walnut and treated corn. Do you guys also mix in polish with the treated stuff? What makes the treated so special?

I use corn cob, and I do not add polish, as it's already added.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Are you considering a liquid tumbler?

If so, look up rock tumblers. You will find many around the $100+ mark. I currently use the liquid method and am running two rock tumblers that are about 35 years old...still going strong. I use 1/3 cup of white vinegar, a squirt of dish soap in 3/4 gallon of hot water. Works great.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the reviews, I just knew they had them the last time I was up there. Thought it'd be a good idea but glad someone took the time to review them, sorry about that.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If so, look up rock tumblers. You will find many around the $100+ mark. I currently use the liquid method and am running two rock tumblers that are about 35 years old...still going strong. I use 1/3 cup of white vinegar, a squirt of dish soap in 3/4 gallon of hot water. Works great.

Liquid never did appeal to me. It seems like too much effort and money compared to regular tumbling.

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the reviews, I just knew they had them the last time I was up there. Thought it'd be a good idea but glad someone took the time to review them, sorry about that.

No need to be sorry! You were just trying to help out lol

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have the Frankford Arsenal tumbler from amazon. I paid like $30 for it...? The kit is nice but I tried to save some money and get the tumbler. I use lizard bedding. Yes I said lizard bedding. It is crushed walnut. I put a cap full of NuFinish to start the tumbler off and add a cap every couple K brass. I place 1" strips of used fabric softener sheets to keep dust down. Hands down cleanest brass I have ever gotten, cheapest way to clean brass, and it WORKS! Just my recommendation.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm trying something different in my tumbler - plain white rice. It's larger than the purchased tumbler media you can get but not by a lot. It's abrasive, and when it turns grey you know it's dirty and needs to be changed. One box from the grocery store was more than enough to fill my tumbler. I've only run a few hundred brass pieces through it so far but so far it seems to work as well as the walnut media it replaced.

Top Bottom