• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmc6153

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Sorry if this has been talked about before. But I am curious what you guys use for media? I use crushed walnut shells and they seem to work well as long as I don't deprime until after I tumble them. I was tired of poking out the shells from the primer hole. Is there anything out there that works better? Maybe something I could use after I deprime so it could clean the pockets as well? Thanks :ingo:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've only tried the cheapest corn shells, and they work excellent. I see no reason to move up to anything more expensive. Maybe a reason will come up, I dunno. But I was able to put 1,000 9mm cases picked up from some range, which were looking quite worn, and throw them all in the tumbler all at once and they were done in about 20 minutes, looking far better than I thought possible.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    the big selling point to me on the SS media is that it cleans everywhere, including the primer pocket, inside the case and even the flash hole.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've used corn-cob, walnut, natural cat litter (which is corn and walnut mixed i believe), all have worked great. I add a little nu-finish to the mix also.
    I always tumble before I de-prime so I don't scratch up my dies.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Lizard bedding from the pet store and a cap of nu finish. Bought the bag 5 years ago and still going strong.

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Fine ground corn cob from Grainger and Nu-Finish. When it starts to look dirty or leave dust on your cases, take it outside and winnow in a slight breeze to blow away the most of the impurities.

Works great and lasts a long time.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    walnut,car polish and dryer sheet's for normal cleanin'.....if i get a hold of some bad tarnished stuff i put it in the Thumper tumbler with SS pins for an hour or so then there new again....

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    stainless steel media is supposed to be the bee's knees

Stainless Tumbling Media | Stainless Tumbling Media Package

I hear it doesn't put a nice luster on it but it cleans inside and out VERY well, if you need shiny brass toss it in corncob with polish after tumbling with the stainless.

Actually stainless wet tumbling will give the brass a shine as good as new.
    I have taken brass that was so tarnished from laying outside in the weather it almost looked like steel. Went to looking like new in 4 hours.:twocents:

Top Bottom