• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    whats the best tumbling media/polish combo cleans brass best??? i like shiny brass, but I'm not so anal that is has to b brand new clean. i do like it shiny,one reason its easier to spot on ground to collect. also, can i tumble already loaded/charged rounds, or is that dangerous???? thanks everyone.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If the brass is tarnished pretty badly then I suggest walnut media with Flitz polish. If it isn't tarnished and you just need to put a shine on it, then corn cob media will work just fine. I also suggest using the Flitz as a polish with the corn cob media.

As for tumbling live rounds, you can do it in a vibratory tumbler. I do it all the time with my ammo after I'm done loading it or when it sits long and the polish comes off of it. Some people will say you could strike a primer, that it affects the way the powder burns, etc, but there was a good study done on (I believe) AR15.com where a guy tumbled live rounds for a ridiculous amount of hours and the powder looked the exact same under a microscope as it did before it went in. Also, it's not going to generate enough power to set a primer off.

If you're wanting the inside of your cases shiny and bright, you should look into an ultra sonic cleaner or stainless steel media, but you're looking at a lot of money if you go either of those routes compared to a vibratory tumbler and media.

ETA: If using walnut media, it will leave a red residue on the brass. Be sure to wipe the casings/rounds off with a terry cloth or towel of some sort afterwards and you'll have a brilliant shine. :yesway:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thank u sir. wold it b safe to say i can use the walnut media when i tumble already loaded/charged rounds also??

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Walnut is for "cleaning" and corn is for polishing...walnut media with Flitz or a capfull of New Finish car wax does both.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Is there such a thing as too much tumbling?

i.e. If I leave brass in a vibratory tumbler and leave for a 12 hour shift at work, is everything going to be cool with it when I get home?

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Walnut bedding from pet store was $5 for 8 pounds...don't know how much Lyman product is but the bedding works very well...a little dusty though!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Is there such a thing as too much tumbling?

i.e. If I leave brass in a vibratory tumbler and leave for a 12 hour shift at work, is everything going to be cool with it when I get home?
    As long as the tumbler, can handle that long of running time, the motor does get HOT, and COULD cause a fire ....

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I load up my RCBS tumbler with walnut media, a good squirt of flitz polish, and a load of cases. I turn it on when I leave for work, and call it good when I get home, approx 9 hours or so later. I then process the brass. After that, it gets thrown into the tumbler again with corncobb and a little flitz. Of course, I like my brass to look as nice as I can. I like to run it through the second time to get rid of any shavings and lube that might be present after I do all my case prep. Keep in mind, this is when I am processing/reloading rifle cases.

For pistol casses, I use the walnut/flitz, then process and reload. No second time around for them, as I do not have to trim the case, or clean the flash hole like I do on the rifle cases.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That was my primary concern... Not sure I'd ever really try it on purpose, but things have a way of happening when in a rush to get to work sometimes...

Wow, lots of thoughts here and I almost can't believe how much time some folks tumble their brass! :D

After 25 years of doing this, the only time I ever tumble more than an hour or two is when I forget about 'em. Seriously, you could tumble 30 minutes before sizing and 1 hour afterward and your gun would never complain. Some folks want to see their reflection in the brass, and that's fine, but for all practical purposes, you don't need to tumble very long...and your media lasts a lot longer. :twocents:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Wow, lots of thoughts here and I almost can't believe how much time some folks tumble their brass! :D

After 25 years of doing this, the only time I ever tumble more than an hour or two is when I forget about 'em. Seriously, you could tumble 30 minutes before sizing and 1 hour afterward and your gun would never complain. Some folks want to see their reflection in the brass, and that's fine, but for all practical purposes, you don't need to tumble very long...and your media lasts a lot longer. :twocents:

While I agree with everything you said I will say that I regularly shoot with a friend, he tumbles his brass just enough to clean it, I tumble mine until it shines. He loses a lot of brass, I find most of mine. ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    While I agree with everything you said I will say that I regularly shoot with a friend, he tumbles his brass just enough to clean it, I tumble mine until it shines. He loses a lot of brass, I find most of mine. ;)

Well, then I'm willing to bet you're a pistol shooter, and I am most definitely a rifle shooter. My brass doesn't go flying and I have a nearly 100% recovery rate...it goes straight from the bolt head, into my hand and back in the MTM box it came out of. Pretty hard to lose 'em that way! :D

When I do shoot pistol, I am not consumed with finding all of my brass; an 80% recovery rate is fine by me. Pistol brass, especially once-fired, is so inexpensive that it just doesn't warrant digging around to find it, or tumbling it for half a day so it's really shiny and easy to spot. YMMV, :twocents: n' all that. ;)

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Well, then I'm willing to bet you're a pistol shooter, and I am most definitely a rifle shooter. My brass doesn't go flying and I have a nearly 100% recovery rate...it goes straight from the bolt head, into my hand and back in the MTM box it came out of. Pretty hard to lose 'em that way! :D

When I do shoot pistol, I am not consumed with finding all of my brass; an 80% recovery rate is fine by me. Pistol brass, especially once-fired, is so inexpensive that it just doesn't warrant digging around to find it, or tumbling it for half a day so it's really shiny and easy to spot. YMMV, :twocents: n' all that. ;)

I'm not taking that bet, you're right it's pistol and semi-auto rifle, (I have a mini that flings brass like no other rifle I've ever seen) I do the same as you with my bolt guns.

Maybe it's just my feminine side coming out, "Oh it's shinny, I want". :D

Top Bottom