• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imjammin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've left my tumbler going for a 12 hr. shift with no problems, but a timer is the way to go. Not much cost and just set it and leave for work, done when you get back.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've left my tumbler going for a 12 hr. shift with no problems, but a timer is the way to go. Not much cost and just set it and leave for work, done when you get back.

Sounds like the way to go for sure. In the process of offer and counter-offering on a house, with space for a reloading spot... Meaning I can do for myself at home what I've been doing for myself with dads equipment at his house, lol.
    Gonna have to start slow if I get the house (and all the associated joys/costs of home ownership) but I can at least tumble my brass before I take it over to start with, lol.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Here's a kinda/sorta related question...
    Just from looks, is there a visual difference between treated media (specifically cob) and untreated? Usually, it's marked but I ran across some that wasn't. Bought it anyhow, and just wondered which type it is.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Here's a kinda/sorta related question...
    Just from looks, is there a visual difference between treated media (specifically cob) and untreated? Usually, it's marked but I ran across some that wasn't. Bought it anyhow, and just wondered which type it is.

Most makers will add a color additive to the mix. Lymantreated is greenish for instance.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    If the brass is tarnished pretty badly then I suggest walnut media with Flitz polish. If it isn't tarnished and you just need to put a shine on it, then corn cob media will work just fine. I also suggest using the Flitz as a polish with the corn cob media.

As for tumbling live rounds, you can do it in a vibratory tumbler. I do it all the time with my ammo after I'm done loading it or when it sits long and the polish comes off of it. Some people will say you could strike a primer, that it affects the way the powder burns, etc, but there was a good study done on (I believe) AR15.com where a guy tumbled live rounds for a ridiculous amount of hours and the powder looked the exact same under a microscope as it did before it went in. Also, it's not going to generate enough power to set a primer off.

If you're wanting the inside of your cases shiny and bright, you should look into an ultra sonic cleaner or stainless steel media, but you're looking at a lot of money if you go either of those routes compared to a vibratory tumbler and media.

ETA: If using walnut media, it will leave a red residue on the brass. Be sure to wipe the casings/rounds off with a terry cloth or towel of some sort afterwards and you'll have a brilliant shine. :yesway:

Can you expand on adding Flitz? So do you just throw a little out of the tube into the tumbler with the media? I guess I do not understand... Please go on about this. I am using the Walnut (red) media

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Can you expand on adding Flitz? So do you just throw a little out of the tube into the tumbler with the media? I guess I do not understand... Please go on about this. I am using the Walnut (red) media

What JetGirl said. about a tablespoon, but make sure you don't throw the brass in until it is mixed up well, otherwise you will have clumps of media stuck in your casings.

As far as loaded or unloaded, I do as JetGirl does. Tumble mine for about 4 hours with the spent primer in it. Then if I have to FL resize the case then I have to get the lube off afterwards, so I'll throw the loaded ammo back in for about a half hour to an hour.

You'll love the finish that the Flitz puts on it. You can also buy the reactivator solution to make it last longer. Don't forget to toss in a dryer sheet every now and then when the media gets dirty. It will help your media stay good for a long long time. :)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    What JetGirl said. about a tablespoon, but make sure you don't throw the brass in until it is mixed up well, otherwise you will have clumps of media stuck in your casings.

As far as loaded or unloaded, I do as JetGirl does. Tumble mine for about 4 hours with the spent primer in it. Then if I have to FL resize the case then I have to get the lube off afterwards, so I'll throw the loaded ammo back in for about a half hour to an hour.

You'll love the finish that the Flitz puts on it. You can also buy the reactivator solution to make it last longer. Don't forget to toss in a dryer sheet every now and then when the media gets dirty. It will help your media stay good for a long long time. :)

Crazy stuff here... a dryer sheet? 4 hours? :n00b: Awesome tips... I'm new to reloading but, def taking lots of notes today! I have tumbled close to 5000 rounds today... no flitz, and about an hour and a half each load... they actually came out pretty dang nice! Now to start adding flitz and tumbling for 4 hours... Im sure they will be redic! Thanks for the tips here guys:)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

Now i read this, and think about the brass that is sitting there at home waiting for me to come home and find clumps. :dunno: i will just mark it up to experience and my impatience. Its brasso also.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Now i read this, and think about the brass that is sitting there at home waiting for me to come home and find clumps. :dunno: i will just mark it up to experience and my impatience. Its brasso also.

:dunno: To each their own. I can run the tumbler while I'm at work and have nice shiny brass when I get home. The Flitz takes all but 5 minutes to get mixed around so you don't have clumps and the one tablespoon of Flitz will last a long long time. In fact I haven't even had to change my media yet so it's been since November and I don't plan on changing it at all until maybe after summer.

If brasso is your choice, have at it. I've never tried it so I don't know whether I'd like it or not. I just know I'm lazy enough to want to tumble it all instead of have to do it by hand :):

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    :dunno: To each their own. I can run the tumbler while I'm at work and have nice shiny brass when I get home. The Flitz takes all but 5 minutes to get mixed around so you don't have clumps and the one tablespoon of Flitz will last a long long time. In fact I haven't even had to change my media yet so it's been since November and I don't plan on changing it at all until maybe after summer.

If brasso is your choice, have at it. I've never tried it so I don't know whether I'd like it or not. I just know I'm lazy enough to want to tumble it all instead of have to do it by hand :):

I'm not to worried about it. I will find out either way.

Top Bottom