• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I thought maybe the round in the pistol may have been the next round being stripped from the mag and chambered. Hmm...

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If the rounds are key-holing on paper its most likely due to the fact that you are shooting a rental gun and the barrel is shot out. As for the picture, it is a very cool shot, however, that is not the round tumbling, that is the brass ejecting. By the time the gun gets to that stage of recoil the bullet would have already impacted the backstop. The brass you see in the chamber is not the round being extracted, but the next round being loaded. In order to see a 45 ACP round traveling at 850 fps (580 mph) you would need a high-speed camera.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I can say the brass was kicking out to the side and slightly to the rear, even bouncing off the wall to come back and hit the sides of our muffs. This photo appears to show an object moving out and away from the camera, not moving perpendicular to the line of fire.

On shutter speeds, I'm reading that "images taken with a lower shutter speed will invoke a sense of motion." A high-speed camera, on the other hand, might capture a round frozen in mid-flight, with little sense of motion. Could be a round captured in mid-flight. Could be an optical illusion of brass kicking out at 90 degrees but only appearing to move down the line of fire toward the target. Could be a very fast june bug or a very tiny flying Elvis. Appreciate the opinions.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think it's brass too. With a slow shutter speed, you get a blur from motion based on how long the object was in a position. Most of the gun blur is in the up position, and slide back meaning while the aperture is open the gun was mainly in it's post-fire position. At 850fps and 1/15s shutter speed, the round would travel 56 feet over the image capture duration. If we were going to capture the bullet in 1/15s then I would expect most of the gun blur to be in the pre-fire position since as said the bullet will be on target pretty darned fast.

Still a cool pic and something I'll try to replicate.

Last edited:

HollowPoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If it was actually a photo of a tumbling round it would have a more consistant pattern. The bullet could not change rotation that quickly, in that short of distance. I believe the photo is capturing the ejected casing. It is a cool photo though especially with a cell phone.

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I initally thought cool picture, but after studying it a bit more, I'm also in the camp of the ribbon caused by the brass being ejected. With 1/15 shutter speed, the bullet it just moving too fast to reflect enough light for the camera to gather and reproduce in the image. Not only that, if the bullet was traveling in concentric rings (slinky) appearance, it would rapidly be thrown into larger and larger concentric rings due to the centrifugal force around the axis from which it is rotating. It would not continue to travel maintaining the same radius from the centerline like that. The brass you see in the ejection port is the next round getting ready to be chambered from the magazine.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Cool pic. TNX for the post. I'm also in the brass eject camp. Whatever, one of my shootn friends recently experienced loss of accuracy, and what looks like the bullet hitn sideways in the paper. My friends 1960's series .45acp/45C Ruger Blackhawk has shot more than 10,000 rounds. My Ruger is new and you can definitly tell my rifling is in much better shape by looking down the barrel with a light. At first we were'nt sure if it was the recast bullets, leaded barrel, failing eye sight, but we were leaning towards shot out rifling. After we called Ruger they told us it was more than likely a worn out barrel. Which was common on old revolvers. To much :spend:to repair the barrel. So were gonna try copper jacket bullets.

Top Bottom