• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My $0.02 FWIW, just buy a cheap tumbler. It will save you money and lots of work later. I mean lets face it, would you rather spend the $60 on a tumbler and be able to throw your brass in it for a few hours, pull it out, then be ready to reload it. Or would you rather hand scrub each and every single piece one by one?

The main reason I use a tumbler is so I can see cracks and splits in the brass. When you have dirty brass you can't always tell if it has cracked or split. If you reload brass that has a crack or splt in it... well, you can imagine the outcome.

Just do it. You won't regret it. I started off my first set of reloads cleaning the brass by hand. It took forever and a ton of elbow grease. After that I bought my tumbler and media. I haven't even had to change my media yet and I started using it back in January!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If you have plenty of time, grab a bag of 0000 steel wool. It's cheap and will last a loooong time. Just form a peice and round it over the case a time or two- good to go.

FWIW, I've reloaded for years and don't own a tumbler. Never had any problems. It's not a necessary step.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Hear me out... Have you ever received a counter rotisserie cooker from a family member that you do not use? Also.. would you be willing to patrol your local goodwill to find one, or ebay? Make sure that it has a "Rotate without heat" option. Most of them do. I bought mine at goodwill for 10$

Something like this:Ronco Showtime Rotisserie BBQ Kitchen Appliance White! | eBay

What you are looking for is something to fit a coffee container in. Then, drill holes in the can and lid to fit the rotisserie spokes in. Seal around spoke holes if desired. insert brass and media. It can only do about 100 rds at a time tops, depending on media. But hey, its got a timer and it only cost me 10$. I'm happy with it and proud of it..

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've been handloading for many years. Lots of ways to do most things so I don't get hung up on methods so much, but I would urge you to get the cartridge cases as clean as possible by some means. Think of the cartridge as another piece of your weapon, most of us wouldn't put a dirty part back in the weapon. Properly done your ammo can be cheaper and more consistent than factory new.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I tumble for about 30-40 minutes, that's about all I can take of the noise. The brass is clean but no shiny. When I start reloading for my Savage, I'll probably run it a bit longer. The fact of a tumbler is that it's quick and easy.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The Marine Corps views clean brass as the way brass should be. I agree.... for that reason alone, if nothing else. I tumble it until I like the way it looks. Whatever works for ya.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I have heard of small custom reloading operations using one of the small electric cement mixers (like Harbor Freight sells) to tumble brass and loaded rounds. The drum can hold hundreds of rounds and tump out into a sieve. Probably much bigger than the home reloader needs, but hey, if you already have the mixer...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have heard of small custom reloading operations using one of the small electric cement mixers (like Harbor Freight sells) to tumble brass and loaded rounds. The drum can hold hundreds of rounds and tump out into a sieve. Probably much bigger than the home reloader needs, but hey, if you already have the mixer...

that is one heck of an idea

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    shinny ammo make me happy, that all.try the electronic, but preffer the tumbler, got some chap from harbor big size and work great, i can place 3k shells and in few hours is like brand new.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have heard of small custom reloading operations using one of the small electric cement mixers (like Harbor Freight sells) to tumble brass and loaded rounds.

That's what I do. I bought one from Harbor Freight and it lasted about 2 months. Then the steel backing dissolved and it died. I bought a big one from Home Depot after that.

I can tumble 20,000 9mm casings at a time. First wet tumble, then dry. Three hours of tumbling and the cases look better than factory new.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    That's what I do. I bought one from Harbor Freight and it lasted about 2 months. Then the steel backing dissolved and it died. I bought a big one from Home Depot after that.

I can tumble 20,000 9mm casings at a time. First wet tumble, then dry. Three hours of tumbling and the cases look better than factory new.

Also good to know. I have always had trouble with anything mechanical I bought from harbor freight except for an air compressor.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've seen a vibratory polisher made from a 5 gal bucket and a fan motor...
    remove the fan blade and replace it with some kind of eccentric weight. this will make it shake like the devil. mount the motor to the bottom of the bucket and hang it on a bungie
    strap...fill it with corn cob media and brass and plug it in...
    A worthy project for any scrounger worth his salt !

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Actually, I would never put fired brass in a dishwasher or a clothes washer. There are toxic residues in fired brass that I don't want in my clothes or on my dishes. Or more importantly, in my children or grandchildren.

If you are going to wash fired brass, go to a sink that is not used by anyone else and do it there. Rinse it well after you are done. Don't slowly poison your family.

The same cautions apply with the media used to clean brass and fired primers.

Wash your hands after handling any of this stuff. You might even consider wearing a mask when handling media.

Lead Styphnate from the fired primers is the hazard.

Thank you , this is what I was thinking too, but I'm a rookie and wanted to see if any PROS would say the same. Would it be safer to tumble the brass outside?

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    shinny ammo make me happy, that all.try the electronic, but preffer the tumbler, got some chap from harbor big size and work great, i can place 3k shells and in few hours is like brand new.
    :laugh: Shinny bullets make me happy 2. i've been using a Lyman Turbo 1200 for a very long time, it did'nt cost to much from what i can remember. the brass loads up and chambers fine, and they almost look to pretty to shoot.....:D

Top Bottom