• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I dont want this to turn into an arguement about whether BDC's are good or bad and why...
    Rather i want to hear if anyone has any experience tuning a handload to match a bdc.
    I am going to be putting a Acog TA31F on my SPR since the parts will be here this week... my only problem is that i will be running a 16 inch barrel and the acog is designed for the ballistics of a 62 grain bullet at i think 2900ish FPS... maybe even 3100... out of a 20 inch barrel
    I can use 62 grain but for now all i have is 55 grain... i want my handloads to match the bdc as best as i can...
    any tips?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If you have not already purchased your ACOG, I suggest you order the TA31F-RCO-M4 model, the BDC is set for M855 out of a 16"/14.5" barrel.

The TA31F-RCO-A4 has the correct BDC for M855 out of a 20" barrel.

I have a a Ta31F-RCO-M4 on my version of a RECCE gun.
    33732Recca04_001.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you have not already purchased your ACOG, I suggest you order the TA31F-RCO-M4 model, the BDC is set for M855 out of a 16"/14.5" barrel.

The TA31F-RCO-A4 has the correct BDC for M855 out of a 20" barrel.

I have a a Ta31F-RCO-M4 on my version of a RECCE gun.
    33732Recca04_001.jpg

M855 is 62 grain at 3025 fps.... i dont think i will be able to get that... however that is the acog i will probably end up getting provided it can be had with the chevron reticle?????

question still stands though as 55 grain is all i can find for a reasonable price right now.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The letter "F" designates the chevron reticle in regards to ACOGs.

I have also been "told", that the BDC will work pretty damn good with M193 spec'd ammo, I have not checked this theory out for myself I tend to run M855 or equivalent loads for all my ARs.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks.... didnt realize what the F meant... ta 31f RCO m3 model is what i will be looking for... still need some info on tuning my load to match the bdc.

mongo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    dont forget that the big problem is the difference in BCs. the heavier bullets will have higher BCs and therefore drop less at a given distance. If you have a reloading manual such as Hornady's that has tables of bullet drop at given distances, then you can attempt to come up with a load that is similar. unfortunately you can really only make the two loads match at one distance. maybe compromise and make that distance PBR? should keep you close out to 3-400yds. Quickload ( the external portion 'QuickTarget') is also a fast way to compare. Good luck, and good shooting M

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I understand the differance in BC's.... I am hoping to hear from someone that has done this and can give me tips and tricks... like whether they used velocity as the deciding factor or what.... thanks for the insight though.

Top Bottom