• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have been a TT user for over 15 years, and have sung their praises repeatedly to whomever asked what tax software I used. However, that is no more. Intuit has decided to cripple its $40 deluxe version (which is my version of choice). It will no longer do all of the schedules that it used to. There was minimal, fine print type notification that this change was taking place. The product's name stayed the same, just it didn't do as much. Now, in order to do the same return as I did last year, I have to buy an $80 version, instead of the $40. I am going to convert to H&R Block software, which will read in my TT file and gets good reviews. Also, it is only $30 for their deluxe version (which does everything that the old TT deluxe did)

So just an FYI, if you are a Turbo Tax user, you want to really investigate which version that you purchase, because you could get stuck and have to pay a $30 upgrade fee to finish your taxes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/y...xe-is-not-as-deluxe-as-previous-versions.html

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Good to know. I've always used Turbo tax business version due to freelance work I do and a rental we had. I will use it again this year, as we sold the rental in 2014 (and I don't want to risk losing depreciation, etc from past returns).
    Next year I can safely start shopping around for new software.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've used this guy's spreadsheets for years:
    https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/

Fill them in, check it over, print it out, mail it in.
    Until the IRS accepts online or emailed forms, they'll be getting paper.

I was really upset when the IDNR took away the state online forms because they were pretty easy; so they now get paper from me too. I download the pdf's, fill them in and print them out.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks for the heads-up on the product lineup changes. Worked out ok for me this year, but it's definitely a price-hike for some.

They have a pretty good android app now - Thanks to evernote and turbotax, I did this year's taxes while sitting on my rump in my recliner watching Justified.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The deluxe change screws me on Schedules D, E, and F. Used to be able to do all of them. You can still drill into the forms mode and hand fill them in, but then the software will not e-file your return.

I probably wouldn't be quite as ticked off if they had rebranded the lines, instead of keeping the old labels while changing what it does.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Thanks for the heads up. I have used Turbo Tax for 4 years now. Luckily, it looks like the $40 still does everything I need it to.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While we're talking taxes, does any one here volunteer for VITA? I can't get enough tax form goodness on my own, so I want to volunteer to help others with their taxes.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm a sucker. I pay an accountant to file my taxes. I wish I didn't have to, but I'm an idiot when it comes to numbers. I pay her to file for the peace of mind that I won't end up in jail.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'm a DIY kind of guy and my Dad introduced me to TT years ago. Once I got married things became more complicated so I went with the wife's accountant. He doesn't charge much (if any) more then TT to file, and I don't have to spend a day doing my taxes. I'm not looking back.

Top Bottom