• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    One of the docs in my group asked for a recommendation for a turkey gun. He's interested in getting started turkey hunting. Any suggestions? He mentioned an over/under. I thought those were used more for skeet/sporting clays. What do most people use for wild turkey?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think you'll get many many votes for every shotgun on the market, but my 2 cents go to the Remingting 870 or the newer 887 with a red dot scope or the double bead sights.

My opionion the 3inch magnums do the job the 3 1/2 inch just aren't worth the beating,

Remington (and many others) sell plain jane to full decked turkey specific guns.

As for ammo Don't just try one, Your gun may pattern better with a different brand or shot, I've had good luck with the winchester 5's and the remington heavy shot,

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    another vote for the 870. No need for a real high end gun just to turkey hunt with. especially if he is just starting. An 870 with an extra full choke and some heavy shot should do the job.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My turkey gun doubles as my Illinois deer gun. It is a Predator camo dipped Remington 870 -

For turkeys it has a .665 Rhino choke, Simmons ProDiamond scope mounted on a rib cantilever and I shoot 3" 4X5X7 Nitros. it is a 55 yard gun.

Deer season that turkey barrel comes off along with the attached scope and is replaced by a fully rifled barrel with a cantilever mounted Nikon 2 - 7.

The cantilever mounts keeps both barrels at zero when removed. Works for me...

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I hunt with a Mossberg 935. Not the most elegant gun, but it has done the job.

Whatever he gets, get a good turkey choke. Might take some work to try a few and see what patterns best, just like the ammo.

As for x10's suggestion about a 3" magnum - I can't say that I've hunted turkeys with a 3". And I'm sure many have fallen to 2 3/4" guns. But the last bird I shot was about 50 yds with my 3 1/2" and he went down like a rock! And I can't remember the gun kicking at all! Now checking the ammo and choke patterns out, it will beat you up then. But I still want all the power I can get if I get a shot.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Any 20 gauge, 16 gauge, or 12 gauge, even a 10 gauge if you want. Pattern it at 25/35/45 yards before you hunt. The only time i've ever needed a second shot, if for a second bird.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have two turkey favorites. I love the mossberg 835 with their super x full with 3 1/2's #5 federals. Great out to 60+ killed one bird at 64 with it. My other favorite that don't kick so damn hard is my 1187 with a red dot. I use a kick's gobblin thunder for it and 3" #6's remington nitro turkey. Patters well out to 50. Just depends where I am hunting for which gun I take.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Remington SP-10 10 gauge, kills anything in the woods that you can see and up close it will carve a path through the brush to get to it.:D

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I like the 870 with a Primos tightwad choke and remington nitro turkey shells. My dad uses a camo mossberg 500A with a primos tightwad and nitro turkey shells and killed two this season. Both guns work well. It depends on which feels good to you. I dislike the feel of his mossberg but do like the fiber optic sights he has vs my bead.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get a NEF Pardner single shot 10 gauge. Put a red dot on there and you'll be dropin them at 60 yards. You just have to take the recoil like a man. It will put a bruise on your sholder after a couple shots.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have a Mossberg 930, and I love it for turkey hunting. For one thing, they're not that expensive, and you can get any kind of barrel for it you want, at a reasonable cost, from the online sources or directly from Mossberg. I have barrels for turkey, upland/skeet/trap, home defense, and deer, for less money than you can get some shotguns. Trigger on it is pretty good, too, and it's never failed to cycle for me.

I prefer a semi-auto to a pump or single-shot (or O/U) because it soaks up some of the recoil and I don't have to think about cycling a round. Whatever you get, you might consider ported barrels (like the 930's) and an aftermarket recoil pad like the Pachmayrs or LimbSavers. I've never used longer than a 3" shell, mainly because I haven't seen a need for it. I can hit a bird out to 50-55 yards with my gun and a good choke tube.

There are several good aftermarket choke tube and ammo choices out there, do some experimenting to see what combination gives you the best patterns at 40 yards or so. Also, if you can afford it, have the forcing cone in your barrel lengthened and polished, it not only helps the patterns with uniformity and size but also cuts down on the felt recoil. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

Top Bottom