• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    First of all, as a preface I haven't hunted since my Dad took me squirrel hunting in approx 1988.

I am almost 31 years old now and I was eight or nine then. I have wholeheartedly believed, for a long time now, that people shouldn't eat meat unless they are entirely willing to kill it themselves.

After spending last summer regularly fishing at Greene-Sullivan State Forest, I think I am ready to take the plunge. It seems like every other time we would fish there, we had 2 or 3 turkey run right in front of the car while driving from lake to lake. I recently procured a Mossberg 500 with a 28" field barrel in a trade, and I think it can get the job done. If need be, I can get a tighter choke if needed, but I think that I need to worry more about getting a shot in the first place rather than ensuring that my first shot is a kill.

Sooo....what advice can you fine folks offer up? I have no close friends who are hunters or shooters at the current time, so I am kind of an island unto myself, and that does not exactly inspire confidence in having a successful hunt.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    1. Patience.
    2. Pattern your birds.
    3. Set up where turkeys want to be, and be there before they get there.
    4. Don't underestimate a turkeys eyesight or hearing.
    5. See rule # 1.
    I'm sure others will chime in here. There is a lot more to turkey hunting such as calls and dekes etc. I'll let others take care of that.
    Good luck and have fun.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Turkey hunting is the most rewarding, exciting and adrenaline rush type hunting I do ...it can also be the hardest, most frustrating, and depressing type of hunting I do. Go figure!

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    1. Patience.
    2. Pattern your birds.
    3. Set up where turkeys want to be, and be there before they get there.
    4. Don't underestimate a turkeys eyesight or hearing.
    5. See rule # 1.
    I'm sure others will chime in here. There is a lot more to turkey hunting such as calls and dekes etc. I'll let others take care of that.
    Good luck and have fun.

^This

Turkey are the easiest and hardest game animal to hunt at the same time in my opinion. You definitely need to put in some time before the season if you want to be successful. Also as was mentioned.....never underestimate a turkey's eyesight!!! Good luck!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Pattern your birds, pattern your gun, bring a kid or new hunter if you can.

I have 12-14 different turkey loads in the gun room, partial boxes. If you want to meet sometime and pattern your gun with different loads to see what patterns best at 25-35 yards, drop me a PM.

Best of luck!

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Turkey hunting is great!

Of course, I see them all the time when I'm not hunting them..... then nothing when I'm out looking.....

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Thanks for all all input! All good advice. What I really need is a super basic "beginners guide to turkey hunting". I will look around online and see what I can come up with. I don't know how to find signs that turkey frequent the area, what kind of position to look for for a shooting spot, when to arrive, etc. The only thing I really think I know is to aim for the head/neck with a heavy load.

Also, in a spring woods that is getting denser by the day, when I arrive to my chosen spot and set up, how can I be sure that there is not another highly camouflaged hunter downrange, maybe aiming toward the same general area as me but from an opposite angle of fire?

I guess I have some studying to do!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    If you hunt small properties forget "running and gunning". You will spook the birds off of your property. All of my properties are small. 80 acres or less. Pattern and stay put. Sooner or later they will show up. Remember patience?
    My last 3 birds have been killed between 5 and 6:30 pm. Evenings are great, they usually come in silent looking for that hen.
    Check out NWTF web site. A lot of info there.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Pattern your birds, pattern your gun, bring a kid or new hunter if you can.

I have 12-14 different turkey loads in the gun room, partial boxes. If you want to meet sometime and pattern your gun with different loads to see what patterns best at 25-35 yards, drop me a PM.

Best of luck!
    WOW this is a GREAT offer!!! take this man up on it!! PATIENCE, and hunt where there are birds, and were they wanna be. Sound simple? be ready to be on cloud 9, or,, so mad u could spit nails!!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    WOW this is a GREAT offer!!! take this man up on it!!

A dozen or so years ago, someone made me the same offer on ammo and patterning, the very first year i nailed a gobbler.

You have to keep new hunters going (then they'll curse you after getting folled by a bird that can, as you put it, "so mad u could spit nails!! "! :yesway:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    6birds like i've told ALOT of new bird hunters" It can happen with the suddeness of a broken boot string". My son killed his first bird last yr on the youth hunt, 9yrs old. He said " Dad my insides are even shaking" I said thats what its all about son. He's hooked BAD!!

verniebernie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Bradenton Florida
    Turkey hunting is to me like drugs are to some. I shot my first turkey 14 years ago when I retired from the Army and have never been the same since. I have already shot my two for the year in Florida and am dieing to go hunt some where is soon

Top Bottom