• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'm in NWI and I love camping and doing day hikes with the ladies, lol. Well one very special lady in perticular. We have been to Turkey run and its like 2.5 hours away. But I was thinking about going to Clifty Falls this year. I have never been there before and I have heard thats its about the best scenery in Indiana, and fun to hike as well.

We are looking to spend 3 nights camping in mid April. Just wanting some Input on which one is better, and its worth the drive from one corner of the state to another.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Clifty Falls is pretty...but I like McCormick's Creek and Spring Mill better. I think they have more to do.

If you go to Clifty, be sure to take a day and drive over to New Albany and visit The Falls of the Ohio State Park. It's very cool and if you're into fossils you'll really like checking it out.

Brown County State Park has some very nice scenery, and loads of hiking trails. Brown County and Turkey Run are the two busiest parks in Indiana.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Not one of your choices but if you go to Turkey Run check out Shades state park. Smaller but worth seeing. The backcountry canoe camp on Sugar creek is a good hike. Less people and they have a landing strip at Shades. Clifty Falls may be nicer now but i found it dirty. Most trails were poorly maintained. With the huge powerplant stack in view kinda ruins that State park feeling. Don't know what hikes you like but there are many other great places for camping,hiking. Opinion of course.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I remember Clifty Falls to be pretty but also poorly maintained. I got terribly lost with some friends there about *cringe* 13 years ago. Whatever trail we were on simply wasn't marked.

I enjoyed my camping trip to McCormick's Creek last summer. Some very nice trails, and the campgrounds were nice. The falls are beautiful and a welcome cool spot in the midst of summer.

I've never camped at Turkey Run, but there trails are fun. I hiked there a lot as a kid, and I have a special fondness for places like the Devil's Ice Box.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Damn, no pics?:D

I'm not a real camper. I've done it a few times, but my motivation was always to fish. With that in mind, I would recommend my neighborhood.

Yellowood State Forrest would be a great central location for primitive camping. Good fishing and hiking right there, with lots more within a 20-45 minute drive. If you want to get away from the wilderness for lunch or dinner, Nashville and Btown are close with great restaurants and shopping.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Cliffty falls is nice but i prefer turkey run or brown county, much better parks in my opinion. spring mill is pretty and not near as busy as brown county or turkey run.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've been to both multiple times and also prefer Turkey run, but Clifty Falls is a nice change of scenery.

I've found Clifty Falls to be very well maintained (we've been going there every year for the past 4 years, so it might have been different before that).

Madison In. is a beautiful older style city, really neat to go down there during the holidays and see the lights.

I'm not sure about the camping as we have always stayed in the Inn (we go down over Thanksgiving so a little to cold for camping for us weenies :D)

You two will have a great time down there :yesway:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I'm from that area, so I'd say you'd have a great time at Clifty. It's well maintained and they have a nice camping area. Lots to see and do there, as well as in Madison. Historic homes, shops, etc. downtown. I think you'd enjoy it.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    We have done both Turkey Run and Clifty Falls. Stayed at the Inn both places. We were less than impressed with the one at Clifty. The trails are definitely more challenging and since it rained most of the time there (in April) we didn't hike as much as we wanted. Madison is a neat little town and there are some good restaurants as well. Turkey Run has great trails, beautiful scenery and a better inn. There is a lot to do in the area as well.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    We plan on doing everything out of our campsite, no hotels, no resturants, we just want peace and relaxation, and nice scenery. And we hate children, the less little bastards running around making noise the better. Also, I know Turkey Run is as gun friendly as places get, what about Clifty?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    If you go to Clifty, be sure to take a day and drive over to New Albany and visit The Falls of the Ohio State Park. It's very cool and if you're into fossils you'll really like checking it out.

^^^ This^^^

Turkey Run is very congested. If you want nice hiking, head south. Spend a day at each: Clifty, Falls of the Ohio, McCormicks Creek. Or Stay at Charlestown (cheap) and hit them from there.

If you want good hiking with close proximity to camping, you cannot beat Clifty and McCormicks Creek. Mc. Creek, however, has one of its main attractions shutdown, a cave, due to the white nose syndrome in bats. But it is still nice hiking... many creeks to walk around / thru.

Good luck choosing... its a win either way in my opinion. Also firearm friendly, as I have carried there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Instead of Turkey Run... Ever been to Shades State Park?

VERY very similar to Turkey Run, but way less commercialized and way less "traffic". Only primitive camping there, though. But you could stay at TR and then take the 15 minute drive to Shades.

There's also McCormick's Creek, in Spencer, for another SP that has an Inn. Again, similar geology and terrain to both TR and Shades.

Clifty is nice indeed; I've not spent much time there, though. The hiking will probably be more difficult there just due to the elevation changes.

If you choose Clifty, you can also head over to Charlestown SP, or, as others have suggested, Falls of the Ohio in Clarksville. There's also a Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville and the former Keisler's gun shop; rather large gun shop not too far away at all from Bass Pro. One note: Firearms are verboten at Falls of the Ohio because the property is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. Technically, even having stuff locked in your truck is against the law.

-J-

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Clifty has a lot of trails in different manners of difficulties. The falls arent as cool as they used to be but im from there so....
    Its pretty well maintained and shop and food are just a few miles away (Gun shop too) There is a pretty nice pool and nature center there as well.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We plan on doing everything out of our campsite, no hotels, no resturants, we just want peace and relaxation, and nice scenery. And we hate children, the less little bastards running around making noise the better. Also, I know Turkey Run is as gun friendly as places get, what about Clifty?

Well if kids get on your nerves, I'd say stay out of the State Parks and head more to the State Recreational Areas. The SRA's have much larger sites, you won't be crammed in on top of each other like in the state parks. Go in the off seasons and you'll be less likely to run into children. What's your beef with kids anyway, weren't you a kid once?

You're just asking for misery if you go to a state park. They're always crawling with children.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I know a couple of people have suggested Shades instead, and I have to agree with them. Nothing wrong with TR or CF, but if you're looking at primitive camping without having to worry about pitching a tent next to a camper, then Shades is for you. The wife and I both really enjoy the trails at Shades, and you always have the option to hike at TR as well.

Top Bottom