• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gonefishin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Just a csaws said, it is an addiction and I just about gave up deer hunting when I started turkey hunting. There is nothing like sitting in the woods and hearing it come alive when all of the big boys wake up and start talking. I have been hunting here in southern Indiana with the same partner for going on 10 years now and we both count the days down until the end of April. I have lucky to have taken a long beard every year since 2000 and have many memories that I will never forget. His wife went with us a couple of years ago and we had better then 30 birds all around us. She started to pull the trigger on a jake, but a hen walked in front of her less then 15 feet away. Before she could get a shot off, her arms got so tired that she could hold the gun any more. Good times are out in the woods turkey hunting with friends and family. Good Luck to all this spring!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    To keep this alive we are 36 days from the start of turkey season.

Wifey and I went to sight in our guns. Hers is actually her mom's 20 ga. 500 Mossberg. Mine 535 Mossberg Turkey "slayer".

She was scared to pull the trigger at first, afraid the scope would hit her, I showed her it was 4 inches from her face and told her to bury it in the shoulder pocket. I acted as her tree. She shot low ( I told her where to aim for the first shot... Caldwell shoot and see Turkey stickers yellow cross in the middle of it) she would've killed it with that shot. Told her for the second to aim at it's eye level, I am not sure it would've flopped with the shot she put on it. I told her two rounds that good lets put it up. Checked mine with two shots also. same as last year... so I put it back up. My 535 is so good I am considering buying another for deer and waterfowl and making this a turkey only gun.

This is a huge step for her, she was a vegetarian when we started dating and she would've said hell no to hunting then. She first said she wanted to go call them for me (she can call the hell out of a mouth call and they make me gag so I stick to boxes and slates) now she has shown an interest in at least trying to kill one. I told her she will be hooked the first day.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    My nephew and me Saturday morning,bird weighted 23lbs and had a 9inch beard
    ofwojb.jpg
    15oezxw.jpg

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    Just 2 more days :rockwoot: Im leaving today and headed out to Greene-Sullivan. I cant wait to get out there Wednesday morning...Good Luck to all my fellow Turkey Hunters...

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    As luck would have it I have to work the opening day, and will likely not be going this week at all (Friday is my only hope). Oh well one of these days I will have enough leave time to take off the entire season and still have time for the fall seasons too.

Good luck Mini-14 and others.

Gonefishin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Indiana Turkey Season

To all of you Turkey Hunters out there,

Just one more morning left stopping us from having that big longbeard strutting around in front of us trying to show just how good he looks. That shows me just how powerful the call of the female is.....LOL!!!!
    Just wanted to say, Good Luck to all and please be safe. Every year we all hear of someone getting shot and more times then not, it could have been prevented. I have heard of people hearing the sound of a hen, going to it, and just shooting in the direction where the sound is coming from. Those are the type of people that should not be out in the woods or even own a gun. Just becareful and put a big one down. I saw 14 different longbeards on the property that I will be hunting on, so hopefully I will be luck enough to fool one of those big boys in front of my 835 and be eating bird for supper!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    After four, yes four, long days of hunting I got my bird tonight. 20 lbs (he was the boss of the group I am told), 3'ish years old 25 mm spurs, 9 3/4" beard. All in all not a bad bird. Will post pics in a day or so I am exhausted and have to work in 6 hours.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    great bird man! I lucked out and got mine opening morning,was the first shot in the woods. 3 big toms where roosting about 75-100yrds from where I was set up..gave a few purrs and clucks just before daylight and once it got to be shooting hours I gave a cackle and as soon as I did that they flew in to about 40yrds of me and ran into my decoys..took the biggest one at less than 10yrds...kinda sucked my season was over so fast but atleast I didnt have to eat my tag like last year:):{hunted with a bow last year} mine was 24lbs 25mm spurs and had 2 beards longest just a tad over 11"..my second biggest bird. Ill scan a pic when I got home from work. again..congrats on your bird! hes a dandy!

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    great bird man! I lucked out and got mine opening morning,was the first shot in the woods. 3 big toms where roosting about 75-100yrds from where I was set up..gave a few purrs and clucks just before daylight and once it got to be shooting hours I gave a cackle and as soon as I did that they flew in to about 40yrds of me and ran into my decoys..took the biggest one at less than 10yrds...kinda sucked my season was over so fast but atleast I didnt have to eat my tag like last year:):{hunted with a bow last year} mine was 24lbs 25mm spurs and had 2 beards longest just a tad over 11"..my second biggest bird. Ill scan a pic when I got home from work. again..congrats on your bird! hes a dandy!

Thanks, sounds like you did real good your self congrats! I'm having trouble with people out mushrooming and trespassing on the land I hunt this is the second year in a row and the same people. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:xmad:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks, sounds like you did real good your self congrats! I'm having trouble with people out mushrooming and trespassing on the land I hunt this is the second year in a row and the same people. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:xmad:

I hear ya man! although the folks I usually deal with are allowed to be there as its public property...seems every year Im dealing with shroomers and ATV riders{and ATV arent allowed on this public land:rolleyes:} I stopped deer hunting because of all the drama in the woods.

here is my bird..sorry for the crappy pic they where taken with a disposable camera then scanned.

turkeyporch.jpg

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I killed my bird yesterday morning, a 17lb jake. We were chasing gobblers in Parke County but the birds are all screwed up there. I went back to Knox County and killed my bird at 7:15 Sunday morning. It has been a tough year so I wasn't real picky.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

We had the same problems the first week. We simply told the land owner and he threatened them with prosecution... they didn't come back.

twthomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    My season lasted all of about 45 minutes this year. One of the most proficient hunts I have every had. Textbook due to preparation and scouting.

Only 20lbs but had 29mm spurs and 9 inch beard. Taken in Green County near Hendricksville.

3465930662_9a5db99258.jpg

Top Bottom