• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I use remington 3" 5's, premier buffered copper plated.

My brother swears by the duplex, which is 4 layered on top of 5 (or 6?).

It'll be whatever patterns best in your gun though. I don't think there is any one best load for all guns.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I will be using a Mossberg 835 stoked with WW Supreme 3.5" #6 turkey loads.
    Works great with my after market Kicks Gobblin' Thunder choke tube.
    You should pattern your gun to see what it likes.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    TenPoint ProElite crossbow with a New Archery Product Spitfires . ;)

Fall turkey is a matter of bowhunting opportunity for me. I'm hunting deer right now but if a turkey comes by...shame on him/her..

I've been practicing...

http://img
    woodyturkeys.jpg

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This is how it went down last fall season...

WSW wind that is a pretty decent wind for the food plot stand so I decided to hunt there this evening.

When got into the stand I looked down the field and could see a turkey in the NE end about 125 yards or so away. I pulled up my crossbow, put my mask on and started glassing the turkey. I could then see more birds in behind it. I could count 8 and they all looked to be longbeards.

I gave them a kee – kee run whistle and I could see that several popped their heads up.

They then started feeding my direction.

They got within 40 yards and then picked around at that spot for a long, long time. They then seemed to want to go back the way that they came from so I gave them another kee-kee run whistle. All of them popped their heads up then. They started feeding again, but this time three started my way.

About that time a crow dive bombed them. They started to scatter, but then just held their ground. A flock of crows started making a ruckus and all 8 birds were attentive with heads upright. The crows calmed down and the birds started feeding my way. In the half hour or so that I watched them I looked them over pretty good. 7 were long beards and one was a jake (I think) he was nice bodied, but had a beard that looked to be only 4 inches long.

a804cfaa-1.jpg

I was not going to be choosey – first bird that gave me a good shot was going to get shot at. Finally they got to with 25 yards of me and I thought close enough - I picked out one and put the 20 yard crosshair a little high on him and squeezed the trigger. POP! He took off running and flopping at the same time. He made it about 60 yards before giving up the ghost. Nice 2 year old bird with 1” hooks and a 10 ½” beard.

36db7ba3.jpg

I got down and retrieved my arrow and the bird and then climbed back to finish deer hunting.

I ended up seeing 3 does and a spike buck. The spike had one antler that had to be 13 inches long and the other was broke off at the base. He came into the field and chased a doe around and then they both left.

I watched a doe for awhile and she really liked the turnip tops. I didn’t think they messed with them until after a good frost or two?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I keep playing tag with a view different groups of turkey. Every time I think I'm going loose an arrow at one, they end up going the other way.

Top Bottom