• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Rolling Prairie
    I recently bought a 1945 8mm Turkish Mauser. Aside from some of the worst cosmoline I have ever seen (a hammer was needed) it cleaned up well enough. I did, on the other hand, take a risk buying this rifle knowing the bolt did not match the receiver. Thank you CAI... I have no intention of shooting it until I have a gun smith give it a look see.

This is the first mil surp I have bought with mismatched numbers and my question is, are the chances still pretty good the gun will pass head spacing and is good to go or, is it safe to say I bought a big paper weight? And if it does not pass head spacing is there anything that a smith can do to fix that issue?

Once again I will have a gun smith look at it first, they may see something I totally missed and the bolt will be the least of my problems. Just seeing what the odds are.

tanx

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Many years ago I saw my pops take the bolt from his 1918 model 98 and put it in a 1948 turkish, functioned flawlessly on whatever corrosive surplus we shot back then. That being said I'm not a gunsmith nor do I play one on tv.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    My experience with Turk's started 14yrs ago. I n that time I've own six and have looked at, personally and online, a whole big bunch and I never have came across a bolt matching one. None of those I had head space issues, though I did get one from a big box sporting good store that had a barrel bent to the left about 10yrs ago. I didn't notice it at the store with all the cosmo in the bore but sure did shooting it. With the front sight drifted to its very edge @50yds it was still 3' left lol. And ur right about the cosmoline, I've often joked that if I ever wanna store something a long time that I would first consult the Turkish for advice lol

Top Bottom