• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I was at a friends for a cook out last night, and after the party died down a bit, the conversation turned to guns, and gun ownership (always seems to happen around me:dunno:). One of the friends of my buddys wife bluntly stated that she didnt like guns, and couldnt stand to be around them. My wife snickered a bit, and I checked to make sure my Trijicons werent glowing through my shirt.

I wasnt deterred by the not likeing guns, and got her to tell me about WHY she didnt like them. Turns out, she was not so much against them, just not familiar, and didnt want to be around them without knowledge of how to handle them responsibly.

After that revelation, I told her that I carried a gun, and told her that I would be glad to introduce her to the proper way to handle a gun, and make sure it was unloaded. After much reassuring from my friend, and wife, she took that huge first step, and held her first gun. Lots of questions were asked, and she seemed genuinely interested in learning more about how to safely handle and shoot guns.
    I think the funniest part was when she commented on the weight and size of my gun (stainless 1911 Ultra Compact) my wife cleared her Bodyguard 380 for her to look at. She was momentarily concerned that both of us carried. Then she went from concerned to even more interested when she decided that my wifes gun was "cute & tiny".

Overall, I think it was a giant step in enlightening a previously anti, and possibly getting her interested in expanding her knowledge in gun ownership.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Good story. The real trick is getting them out to the range for the first time and getting them to understand that guns are tools can than be controlled and used safely.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good story. The real trick is getting them out to the range for the first time and getting them to understand that guns are tools can than be controlled and used safely.

I plan on working her up to the range part, I was just happy that the first step went so smoothly for her.
    The guns are only tools was the idea that I think sank in the best with her. I like to compare them to fire extinguishers. Nobody intends to set their house on fire, yet many keep extinguishers around, just as I do not intend (or hope) to have to shoot a person, but am prepared and equipped to do so if the need should arise.

Guns are not the good or bad, just the tools, and the person who uses it, properly or improperly determines the outcome. I left the passion and emotion out of the initial conversation, and let the facts do the talking. As for the mutual friend whos cookout we were attending, she was the excited one, making sure to interject how much fun it is to spend an afternoon shooting paper plates on the range.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I was helping someone load something in the trunk of their car once. Because of the way I was moving around, my EDC was exposed. He noticed it and said "What do you need that for, are you planning on getting robbed?". I pointed to the spare tire in his trunk and asked him "What do you need that for, are you planning on having a flat tire?". :D

At first, I could see he was like :rolleyes:. A few minutes later, he was like
    thinking-smiley-2.gif

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It's a great day when you can change an {ANTI} without a baseball bat;)

Careful. Last time I did that they became {ANTI} baseball and gun!

OP, Way to go! I love when situations like that present themselves, and people are willing to consider what the gun community have to offer and say. You definitely represent us well.

:yesway::yesway:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Nice work. A lot of people are anti just because they don't know any better. a little edu-macation (theoretical and practical) can go a long way to changing their mind.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! It's perfectly normal for a man to have 1-50 guns but not a
    chick. What's the story there?!?

LOL, my wife has more handguns than I do. Of course that is mainly because she can't make up her mind... :)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    It's a great day when you can change an {ANTI} without a baseball bat;)

But have you ever tried changing ones mind WITH a baseball bat? That's no picnic either, you know! In fact, its damn difficult! What with all the screaming and crying and running, its hard to get those cold hard facts hammered home...

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    But have you ever tried changing ones mind WITH a baseball bat? That's no picnic either, you know! In fact, its damn difficult! What with all the screaming and crying and running, its hard to get those cold hard facts hammered home...
    don't like to admit it, but there was a time a bully thought he was going to slap me around & he picked a day that I had a bat with me, after he got his broken head fix & half his head shaved with stitches he became my friend & never messed with me again:D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good work. Just finding out that your pistol didn't jump off your hip and start spraying hot lead probably helped.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good work. Just finding out that your pistol didn't jump off your hip and start spraying hot lead probably helped.

It might have helped a little that it was "shiny". Polished stainless and rosewood are almost like jewelry to some women. She was intrigued with the Trijicon sights too (she spent a little time checking, I think, for the batteries).

Top Bottom