• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've read a lot of these "Anti Conversion" stories and the common line in them all seems to be that the anti just doesn't know anything about guns and have bought into all the rhetoric against them. It's always interesting to read of their changing thought pattern once they've ACTUALLY held/operated one.

Way to go OP!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Most folks' exposure to guns these days are news reports of armed robberies/assaults, mass murders, and neglilgent discharges/children accidentally shot. It's no wonder that many people feel about them they way day do.

I don't normally go for show and tell of carry pieces, but if you and your spouse didn't take advantage of that opportunity, you could have missed a very good teachable moment.

Good job!

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Ive been steadily chipping away at some "anti's" for a litle while now. The wifes aunt says that guns are dangerous and violent and guns hurt people. I asked if more crimes were commited with baseball bats would she not like baseball players because of it?

That one sunk in for her. She was just like the woman in the OP, never been exposed to them and wasn't familiar with them, henceforth they are bad and dangerous.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I was at a friends for a cook out last night, and after the party died down a bit, the conversation turned to guns, and gun ownership (always seems to happen around me:dunno:). One of the friends of my buddys wife bluntly stated that she didnt like guns, and couldnt stand to be around them. My wife snickered a bit, and I checked to make sure my Trijicons werent glowing through my shirt.

I wasnt deterred by the not likeing guns, and got her to tell me about WHY she didnt like them. Turns out, she was not so much against them, just not familiar, and didnt want to be around them without knowledge of how to handle them responsibly.

After that revelation, I told her that I carried a gun, and told her that I would be glad to introduce her to the proper way to handle a gun, and make sure it was unloaded. After much reassuring from my friend, and wife, she took that huge first step, and held her first gun. Lots of questions were asked, and she seemed genuinely interested in learning more about how to safely handle and shoot guns.
    I think the funniest part was when she commented on the weight and size of my gun (stainless 1911 Ultra Compact) my wife cleared her Bodyguard 380 for her to look at. She was momentarily concerned that both of us carried. Then she went from concerned to even more interested when she decided that my wifes gun was "cute & tiny".

Overall, I think it was a giant step in enlightening a previously anti, and possibly getting her interested in expanding her knowledge in gun ownership.
    Good work solider.

John778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Overall, I think it was a giant step in enlightening a previously anti, and possibly getting her interested in expanding her knowledge in gun ownership.

I went to a county meeting to try to get them to support CC in Illinois.
    I told them I could stand here and list all the old arguments that everyone has heard before.
    And in fact have had with my own son, who is against CC.
    I told them I just couldn't understand why people were so against it...and then it finally hit me WHY...because they had never been in a situation where they needed a weapon, where as I had been.

I had a couple guys coming through my bedroom window at 2AM, believe me when your family is at stake you can not believe how glad you are to have something to defend them with!!!

But there are a LOT more people that have never been in a situation like that, so they see no need for weapons...little do they know...I hope none of them have to find out the hard way.
    (Although from the news reports there seem to be a lot of them that ARE finding out the hard way.)
    :dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I don't normally go for show and tell of carry pieces, but if you and your spouse didn't take advantage of that opportunity, you could have missed a very good teachable moment.

Good job!

I NEVER talk, show or otherwise my CCW, outside of a few close friends that I know, and trust. Even then its always when/where it is ONLY those that have previous knowledge of my habits.
    This instance was late in the evening, everyone else had gone home, and the girls were all sitting on the back porch drying off from a late night swim. When I saw my opportunity, I figured I had better whip it out, and show her there was nothing to be afraid of.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Good job, one person at a time and maybe less people will be trying to take away our guns due to ignorance

Top Bottom